What's with fish and wine?

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 14 Jan 2012, 10:44

Re: What's with fish and wine?

At the moment I figure the best thing to do is run both TPR and Remake, however now you mention it for the sake of completeness I should probably do TSK too. Remake is there something of a "control group" to allow for such arguments as the citizens already having a bit of condition before topping up and quite simply easy comparison. When I say "eventually" however I do mean at least two weeks which is quite a wait.
No need to test it in the Remake, we know what the values are from the code. Just test it in TSK or TPR (I doubt there will be any difference, and obviously you'll need TPR for fish)
My suggestion is to take screenshots of a unit's health bar after he eats a certain type of food. You can make a test map where only 1 type of food is available, wait until the units get hungry then take screenshots after they eat.
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 14 Jan 2012, 12:33

But there is a need to test the remake, too.

We can't read the values out of TPR (because we don't know where they are stored, do we?), and we can't read the values directly out of the status bar because the circumstances may be different.

So the only way is to create a map with a specific theme (inn filled with sausages etc., one civilian hungry, the rest at full condition) and then make a screenshot after he leaves the inn - and then we can compare the Remake with TPR/TSK.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 14 Jan 2012, 13:39

But there is a need to test the remake, too.
Why? I can tell you from the code, e.g. for bread it is:
  Code:
Feed(UNIT_MAX_CONDITION*0.4);
We can't read the values out of TPR (because we don't know where they are stored, do we?), and we can't read the values directly out of the status bar because the circumstances may be different.
Yes of course we need to test TPR, but we do not need to test the Remake because we have the code for that.
Why can't we read it from the condition bar in TPR? If the unit goes into the inn with the standard hungry amount (about 10%) and eats 1 bread, we can then look at the condition bar and calculate it.
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 14 Jan 2012, 15:47

Yes of course we need to test TPR, but we do not need to test the Remake because we have the code for that.
Why can't we read it from the condition bar in TPR? If the unit goes into the inn with the standard hungry amount (about 10%) and eats 1 bread, we can then look at the condition bar and calculate it.
But you need to subtract the time (=condition loss) between the moment in which the civilian gets hungry (when he reaches 10%) and the moment, he starts eating. And the time between the last food and the time he gets out of the inn.

What is the time point when the condition is actually refilled? When he starts eating? When he finishes eating (this is rather not the case, otherwise civilians could starve within the inn) or gradually?

We don't know these things (in TPR) and we did not yet consider it in the Remake. So the easiest would be to put the map into TPR and Remake and compare the screenshots. I guess this is a work of maybe 10 minutes for each resource.
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 14 Jan 2012, 16:47

But you need to subtract the time (=condition loss) between the moment in which the civilian gets hungry (when he reaches 10%) and the moment, he starts eating. And the time between the last food and the time he gets out of the inn.

What is the time point when the condition is actually refilled? When he starts eating? When he finishes eating (this is rather not the case, otherwise civilians could starve within the inn) or gradually?.
I think the best option would be to measure their health when they enter the inn, then when they leave the inn (this would give a lot of trouble, i don't know if its worth it)... on second thought, why not just create a mission with a storehouse and an inn and all the units close to the inn (that way the time they took to get to the inn is irrelevant)
<<

Yeti

Militia

Post 14 Jan 2012, 17:36

My plan was to run the town tutorial on all three games. A large amount of Inns would be produced, and destroyed, in order to reduce the food stocks and give chance for some interesting food combinations to be found along the way. Anyone who went to the Inn to eat would have a screen shot taken before eating, and after. I'd hope to collect a fairly large sample size of different foods and combinations of food. Eventually the original stocks of food would run out, and I'd be able to stock Inns with a single type of food to test their effects between games. This is essentially what I've already done on TPR, simply without taking the time to screenshot everything.

Lewin, gaining screenshots of the condition bar from the Remake is important precisely because we already know the values from the code. It's a quick and easy way to show what the status bar of a citizen should look like after coming out of the Inn in TSK/TPR if bread is indeed worth 40%. A control group from which conclusions can be made about the other games.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”