Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Town hall in the remake?

<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 17 Nov 2011, 17:11

P.S. The KaM Remake is a TSK Remake, not a TPR Remake. Only TPR features that fit with the game style, are balanced and we approve of will be implemented. (e.g. the fisherman's hut and TPR soldiers)
I'm so glad of this :D

I'll try and think of more Town Hall ideas - seems like a good opportunity to come up with a cool new feature!

Were there plans to make a building that your serfs could hide in if your town is under attack? Because the Town Hall could always serve that purpose.

Age of Mythology (possibly other "Age of..." games as well) has a "Town Centre" building with an ability to ring the "Town Bell", causing everyone to run inside of it. This almost seems too perfect, since the Town Hall's icon is a bell xD
<<

Attyla

Laborer

Post 17 Nov 2011, 19:09

I realley dislike town hall despite I love having barbarians in my army. This building looks like invented by someone else than the whole game. It doesnt fit to KAM (even graphically). What I like the most in KaM is that nothing appears and moves in virtual not shown and not explained way. I think that town hall after modifications could work as place for hireing mercenary soldiers. But it should take time and they should be paid periodically (it is not my idea but i like it). Maybe they could be also dissmised, but not paid in time they could revolt against you.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 17 Nov 2011, 19:19

That's actually a great idea imo! Whenever a hired soldier gets hungry, you have to feed him and you have to provide him with 1 gold (which can be considered his wage). Or maybe the need for gold should be a bit less frequent.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Nov 2011, 01:13

Were there plans to make a building that your serfs could hide in if your town is under attack? Because the Town Hall could always serve that purpose.
That sounds pretty cool, actually. I think that this is the best option I've heard thus far.
If this was implemented, do you think that there should be a limit on how many people can squeeze into the building?
Whenever a hired soldier gets hungry, you have to feed him and you have to provide him with 1 gold (which can be considered his wage). Or maybe the need for gold should be a bit less frequent.
If the Town Hall makes the cut, but Danjb's idea doesn't, than I think that this would be an excellent option.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Nov 2011, 03:43

Actually it's on our ideas list to use the church for that:
You could ring the church bell and your citizens would hide in it, and yes there would be a limit to the number that can fit in one church. (maybe 20 or so) But this is just a crazy idea, it is by no means accepted. What do people think?
Whenever a hired soldier gets hungry, you have to feed him and you have to provide him with 1 gold (which can be considered his wage). Or maybe the need for gold should be a bit less frequent.
Not a bad idea... I'm still not sure I'm in favour of it. Also does that mean you'd have to pay the barbarian 5 gold? Because it would be silly if a rebel's wage is the same as a barbarian's, but then it might look strange if the barbarian casually pockets 5 whole chests of gold into... his loincloth? :P
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Nov 2011, 07:57

What do people think?
I'm not entirely sure what to think. A couple if things:

1) If it is going to be implemented, I think the church looks fine :)

2) A maximum of 20 serfs in a church? Sounds a little 'unbelievable'. I'd say something like 50.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if the building would be worth implementing. It may come in handy to let your serfs shelter, but mostly when I'm under attack, I want the serfs to speed up weapons and armor production..

But anyway, if it was implemented, I wouldn't mind. I'm just not sure I'd use it.

---------------------------

About the 'wages':

I think they should all need 1 gold at the same time they need food. I mean, all the food fills the entire bar, which is silly too. Besides, there's no way a barbarian can pocket 5 chests of gold :P

I think it's not too far fetched. I do like the idea though (wages).
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 18 Nov 2011, 11:05

I'm not sure I like the idea of soldiers requiring wages. But keeping with some sort of "mercenaries" theme would be a fairly good idea I think, since it's kind of similar to the original function of the Town Hall.

I think having a building with a bell that lets serfs hide inside it is a good idea (and yes, only so many serfs should fit), but I don't mind which building it is. Assuming we used the Town Hall (I still think it works rather well since it has a bell for an icon), we could then come up with something else for the church?

Now I'm gonna be trying to think of church ideas :p

* Makes people require food less often?
* Gives you access to more music tracks? ^^ (I know it's a stupid idea)

Yeah I'm struggling here...
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Nov 2011, 12:47

Or we could just assign the bell-icon to the church :P
<<

Attyla

Laborer

Post 18 Nov 2011, 13:13

Not a bad idea... I'm still not sure I'm in favour of it. Also does that mean you'd have to pay the barbarian 5 gold? Because it would be silly if a rebel's wage is the same as a barbarian's, but then it might look strange if the barbarian casually pockets 5 whole chests of gold into... his loincloth? :P
Yeah, and what about that serf drinks whole barrel of wine and still walk straight. :)

And what about axe made only from wood. :wink:

I think barbarians should be paid 5 gold or 1 but more often than rebels.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Nov 2011, 13:36

I actually like using the church for the shelter, but only 20 serfs? no way. In those days, Catholicism was dominate all over Europe (which I assume is where this game's theme is supposed to take place), and I'm sure their churches would hold more than 20 people. :)
I don't know about laborers running and hiding. Also, what will serfs do with what they are holding? Will they keep it and run to the church with it?

Not sure about how soldiers would be paid. I think the barbarian getting "hungry" quicker is the best idea. The problem with this; though, is that it again favors defensive tactics since it makes a long-siege more difficult.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 18 Nov 2011, 18:15

I actually like using the church for the shelter, but only 20 serfs? no way. In those days, Catholicism was dominate all over Europe (which I assume is where this game's theme is supposed to take place), and I'm sure their churches would hold more than 20 people. :)
I don't know about laborers running and hiding. Also, what will serfs do with what they are holding? Will they keep it and run to the church with it?
We have to think about gameplay as well as realism, though. When (in terms of the number of serfs) do you think a town is big enough that it might have 2 churches?
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 18 Nov 2011, 19:02

Would you really spend say 6 stones, 5 wood and some time and space to set up a building that maybe won't even be used and if yes, then only once?

I love the graphics of the church, but I'm not completely convinced with the idea of a shelter.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 19 Nov 2011, 00:01

Yeah I'm not sure the church shelter would get used either... Usually if there are enemies in your town it means you've lost or are about to.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 19 Nov 2011, 00:27

True... for that reason, maybe it would be best if it had no capacity limit, since you definitely wouldn't want to build more than one.

It might not be the most useful building, but it's a nice last resort. I'm sure we could make some levels that make good use of it.

That gives me an idea: a community campaign :D
(or has that been done?)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 19 Nov 2011, 00:45

There are a lot of missions and campaigns on my mission site. Eventually we'll have a Campaigns screen where you can choose a campaign from a list and play it. (much like single missions at the moment)

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”