Town hall in the remake?

<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 16 Nov 2011, 12:59

Town hall in the remake?

Hey,

I discused with a pair of persons about this topic.
What are you thinking about it, should be included the original things of KaM?
Like townhall or "car builder"xd ?
I think this are special builidings which wrote KaM history! without the TPR things, like fishes/knights/town halls/... there is a little part of KaM feeling missing, I think!

But you can vote.

pawel95 [PL]
You aren´t a good player if you have a good PT-Army. You should be able to use it correctly!

You want cheap new Computergames? No problem, you will get them here: https://www.g2a.com/r/pawel95
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 16 Nov 2011, 17:13

I voted 'yes', but I don't really agree with the description. I do think it needs some serious rebalancing, but yeah, it could be a great addition (it adds more possible tactics).
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 16 Nov 2011, 17:20

Yes,
this is the point!
With these function you have more possibilities for your strategy!
You aren´t a good player if you have a good PT-Army. You should be able to use it correctly!

You want cheap new Computergames? No problem, you will get them here: https://www.g2a.com/r/pawel95
<<

Encaitar

Lance Carrier

Post 16 Nov 2011, 17:20

I voted 'yes', but I don't really agree with the description. I do think it needs some serious rebalancing, but yeah, it could be a great addition (it adds more different tactics).
For me the same! I do not agree that it is sooo cool. I just like the Remake because it closely resembles the good old KaM. That's the reason I like the townhall being implemented too.

P.S. To be honest I do only like the Armory Workshop if the siege equipment-graphics are updated with a person pushing the ballista/catapult. But let's not fall back to old discussions right here!
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 16 Nov 2011, 18:42

If for no other reason, I think all buildings should be included for completion's sake. But I also think the "Siege Workshop" could be very interesting and tactical, and for that reason it should be included; HOWEVER, as has already been said, it does need some rebalancing.

Similarly, I don't think the Town Hall was balanced in TPR. It should definitely be included but maybe changed significantly, even entirely? But I think it's main function should at the very least remain gold-related.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 16 Nov 2011, 19:18

Yes, the ballista and the catapult is very cool thing in the original KaM, so why not in the much better Remake form Lewin and Krom... ??? :P :)

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Nov 2011, 20:31

Lol. The choices of votes are so vague/far from what I would like to chose that I'm having a hard time making a vote. :P
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 16 Nov 2011, 20:50

Haha, ben what you would vote, if it stay there??

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Nov 2011, 20:56

My opinion is to leave the Town Hall, but keep the soldiers. Thus, the units can still be used if they a player's initial forces contain them; much like how the barbarians worked in TSK.
Now in my opinion, the Siege Workshop and the "magical and unrealistic" units should be booted, too.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 16 Nov 2011, 23:22

I'm trying to think of alternative Town Hall ideas but not having much luck...

Maybe it could enable you to buy "Town Upgrades"? Like better roads that let your serfs travel faster.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 17 Nov 2011, 01:35

I don't think the poll options fit anyone's opinion really, so I wouldn't take the results seriously. I don't think it's boring I just think it doesn't fit the KaM style to make soldiers with only 1 step: Serf takes gold to town hall. To make other soldiers you need to manufacture the weapons then train a recruit THEN you get a soldier.
Also, it makes barbarians feel less special. In TSK barbarians were "elites", you could only get them at the start of the mission and thus they felt very very special and cool. But if you can produce them so easily they don't feel special any more. You should only be able to get barbarians if you have them at the mission start, or with scripted mission events once we add those (e.g. re-enforcements arrive)
Krom has the same opinion.

So in the form the town hall takes in TPR it will not be implemented as far as I can see. But if someone has an idea to make it fit with the KaM style then write about it. Danjb's suggestion of upgrades is interesting, KaM has never had any upgrades though. I wonder whether that would fit the style? I'm not sure it does, although it could be interesting.

The ballista and catapult should be discussed somewhere else, but there are two problems with them:
- They magically drive themselves about the map with no one pushing them, in a game where every detail is perfect
- The ballista at least is basically a super crossbowman which instant kills. The last thing KaM needs is MORE powerful archers. I really think they're out of place the way they are in TPR. If they were implemented (with someone pushing them) I'd like to make them more tactical and designed for destroying enemy towers or something. But I'm still not sure that's necessary.
TSK worked really well and I don't see a need to mess it about with features that just don't seem to fit the KaM style just for the sake of adding new tactics. Gameplay elements on top of the TSK level must be well thought out.

P.S. The KaM Remake is a TSK Remake, not a TPR Remake. Only TPR features that fit with the game style, are balanced and we approve of will be implemented. (e.g. the fisherman's hut and TPR soldiers)
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 17 Nov 2011, 09:05

Someone make a mod out of this so this becomes optional.
<<

Encaitar

Lance Carrier

Post 17 Nov 2011, 12:39

P.S. The KaM Remake is a TSK Remake, not a TPR Remake. Only TPR features that fit with the game style, are balanced and we approve of will be implemented. (e.g. the fisherman's hut and TPR soldiers)
How is the fisherman's hut implemented btw? In TPR after a while the fish run out. Does this also apply for the remake?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 17 Nov 2011, 12:57

How is the fisherman's hut implemented btw? In TPR after a while the fish run out. Does this also apply for the remake?
The fisherman's hut is the same as in TPR. You'll notice the fish swimming around starting to reduce and when there are none left, you can't fish any more. (you'll get a message) We've discussed replenishing them automatically so we might do it like that eventually, but we'll probably make the fisherman slower if we did this. Not sure yet, it's by no means a priority.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 17 Nov 2011, 13:17

I think the balista could be implement in the Remake. I now know, that?s an TSK remake, which is quit sadly :cry: :cry: XD, but I think it is good balanced. If you show in the original KaM, so?ll see that the ballista is very forcibly BUT, it costs a lot AND if you shoot with a pair of bowmans, the balista is dead :D !

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”