Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Diagonal roads

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 10 Nov 2011, 21:24

It doesn't look too bad but how does it work? Where can we build buildings without blocking the road? Which tiles are taken by the road? What if we want to make a crossing?
I think it doesn't fit into KaM. In KaM everything is straight from west to east and from north to south. From north-west to south-east and from north-east to south-west don't exist.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Nov 2011, 22:07

Agreed. After seeing the picture (although it looks good), and considering that it will merely "look" good and sacrifice gameplay, I think that the weaving road is our best option, but not on account of requiring more materials to be used, but rather requiring one to make his village look nice.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Attyla

Laborer

Post 10 Nov 2011, 22:48

@Attyla: Please avoid double posting (you actually posted 4 times in a row) You can edit your latest post, so in future do that. I have merged your 4 posts into one, you can edit it if you don't like it.
I didn't want to do it. But I hadn't had right to post a picture till I had 5 postings.
If you start two serfs in the top left of the map, (1;1) and one starts walking to the far right (192;1) and the other starts walking to the bottom right (192,192), they will arrive at exactly the same time.
:? I am really confused. I checked it myself firstly with militia and now like you said: on the 192x192 map with 2 serfs going from right bottom corner one to top right corner and second to top left corner (there I put theirs storehouses and inns). And the first was 1 minute faster than second. I didnt mesured hole time so I dont know if he was 1.41 times faster. I dont konw, maby i have out of date verision of remake.

It is huge privilege for me to talk with you. You did so wonderful job, I enjoy the game especially multi.
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2011, 01:56

I'd say it looks okay
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 11 Nov 2011, 02:26

I didn't want to do it. But I hadn't had right to post a picture till I had 5 postings.
Ah I understand now :)
If you start two serfs in the top left of the map, (1;1) and one starts walking to the far right (192;1) and the other starts walking to the bottom right (192,192), they will arrive at exactly the same time.
:? I am really confused. I checked it myself firstly with militia and now like you said: on the 192x192 map with 2 serfs going from right bottom corner one to top right corner and second to top left corner (there I put theirs storehouses and inns). And the first was 1 minute faster than second. I didnt mesured hole time so I dont know if he was 1.41 times faster. I dont konw, maby i have out of date verision of remake.
I'm very sorry for that post, it was completely wrong. I was very tired when I wrote it. Of course units always move at the same speed whether they are going diagonal or not. I don't know how I managed to think that was the case. I've edited my post to add a comment explaining this so hopefully I won't confuse other people.
It doesn't look too bad but how does it work? Where can we build buildings without blocking the road? Which tiles are taken by the road? What if we want to make a crossing?
I think it doesn't fit into KaM. In KaM everything is straight from west to east and from north to south. From north-west to south-east and from north-east to south-west don't exist.
Very good points :)
If we did it like this we would either end up with fields covering roads, or tiles that have one corner covered by road and are completely unusable for anything else. I agree with you 100%.
Agreed. After seeing the picture (although it looks good), and considering that it will merely "look" good and sacrifice gameplay, I think that the weaving road is our best option, but not on account of requiring more materials to be used, but rather requiring one to make his village look nice.
I also agree with you, I'll talk to Krom about it and ask him to read this discussion.
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 12 Nov 2011, 10:08

Heh, it's interesting to actually see a diagonal road. Kinda weird :p

But yeah, I stand by my original opinion that diagonal roads should not be allowed. Basically for all the reasons that have just been said.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 Nov 2011, 15:19

I for myself don't see a big problem with diagonal roads. The only reason to block them is that they look a little ugly. Which could be solved with a minor trick Lewin showed on his photoshopped screen.

3 issues:
- trees, they could be removed if surrounded by roads - no big deal;
- houses corners - houses are always leaving some space around them, so running a road below is no issue
- fields corners- thats an issue. again it could be solved with some simple measures: e.g. if there are fields on both sides of a diagonal road - split the road.

Whats wrong with "wide" diagonal roads:
- they still looking ugly, meandering on their way
- they force you to use double width (2 serfs can walk alongside), what is wrong with other roads then? Why should we be forced to build wide diagonals and not wide straights then?
- cost is much higher, to get 14 tiles away you need 20 stone instead of 10 (where's 10 is more fair price)

That said I vote for old diagonal roads allowed with few tweaks.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 13 Nov 2011, 15:31

I don't understand why people complain about the cost of normal diagonal roads. If you have 2 stonecutters you have like infinite stones...
The only reason why I would make those cheap roads is because it saves time.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 Nov 2011, 15:38

I complain because it is superfluous to force us to build a 2-way "normal road when 1-way road is doing it's job since year 1997 :)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 13 Nov 2011, 17:18

And it's been ugly since 1997, too. :P
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 13 Nov 2011, 20:35

3 issues:
- trees, they could be removed if surrounded by roads - no big deal;
I think that's a pretty big deal.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Nov 2011, 21:12

Why? Trees are removed if grapes are placed near them. I think it would make more sense anyway. How often do you see a full grown tree growing out of a road? That would have to be a pretty big crack :P
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 13 Nov 2011, 21:26

yes i think this is right in kam there are only left to right and right to left and no diagonal think!
You aren´t a good player if you have a good PT-Army. You should be able to use it correctly!

You want cheap new Computergames? No problem, you will get them here: https://www.g2a.com/r/pawel95
<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 13 Nov 2011, 22:01

Why? Trees are removed if grapes are placed near them. I think it would make more sense anyway. How often do you see a full grown tree growing out of a road? That would have to be a pretty big crack :P
It looks alright in original KaM. I think that's what happens anyway...
I just think it would make it too easy to remove trees. Like Lewin said a while back, KaM is about building AROUND your surroundings.
Guys, we are getting off topic(although I was the one who brought us off topic).

The diagonal roads is according to the poll a no go.
The poll has been decided but it's still an interesting discussion :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Nov 2011, 22:12

GreatWhiteBear wrote:
Guys, we are getting off topic(although I was the one who brought us off topic).

The diagonal roads is according to the poll a no go.
The poll has been decided but it's still an interesting discussion
I agree. This really isn't that much off topic anyway :P

Anyway, if one is willing to spend 4 stone and time into removing a tree, I think that is just fine; especially since 1 timber (and sometimes 1 stone if you don't want a vineyard nearby) is enough to remove them.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”