No votes

Total votes : 0
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 17 Aug 2014, 20:45

Maps with sounds - Feedback needed

Hi, some of you already know, that I've been working on adding background sounds into some maps (like waterfalls, wind, lava). Since we already have RC2, where SFX is fixed, I'm posting results here and kindly asking everyone to give feedback about it.

Most important thing is to test them during a regular game (so how it sounds during and after PT). Some points, I'd like you to focus on:

1) Is the volume alright? (It may sound different when looking at empty map, without cities and units on it, and when there's battle going on, so keep that in mind).
2) Does sound fit well on a map? (Does it fit into map's theme, simply - do you like it? :))
3) Is the sound source placed right? I mean a situtation, where you are revealing the map and for example can see the waterfall, but still not hear it.
4) Is the radius of sound alright? Should it be larger? (In most cases it's not possible for it to be smaller...)
5) How do sounds fit with music on?

Please wrote if you were using headphones or not.

Some other things:

- How do you like wind sound in Coastal Expedition and Across the Desert? Does it with into desert theme?
- How do you like wood creeking on wooden bridge in Border Battlefield? (It still needs some work, it's more an example now).
- Border Battlefield has sound of wolves howling in some places, near starting locations. They are scripted to be played from time to time, so it's the best if they are tested during regular gameplay.

Also, please notice, that some of andreus' maps already have sounds in RC2. The maps are A Way East (co-op), Icewind Valleys and Clarity Falls - Escape (tactical). Please give feedback about them here.

List of maps with sounds in a download file:

A Midwinter's Day
Across the Desert
Border Battlefield
Coastal Expedition
Eruption

http://www.speedyshare.com/FuqR2/Maps-With-Sounds.7z

Another link (thanks Michal): https://www.sendspace.com/file/glw5nd

One last thing, if you are a map maker and want to have sounds on your maps, please write me a PM :).
Last edited by Tiank on 30 Aug 2014, 17:18, edited 2 times in total.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Aug 2014, 12:14

Re: Maps with sounds - Feedback needed

well i cannot specify certain feedback for your maps, but in general i think adding sounds is a nice touch to maps but only if it has a purpose (fun with flags with flag capture sounds and stuf flike that). no idea how random sound effects will sound, but i think it will be a weird feeling.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Aug 2014, 12:24

but i think it will be a weird feeling.
Don´t think, just test it :mrgreen:
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 23 Aug 2014, 16:36

By the way there should be hooks for map makers in .script file that allows to attach sound to something and play it from object location like birds in forest

for example hook.object.tree it should attach the sound to tree location and play it in random delay (from 1 to 30min)

Edit also when the place tile script were here we could make earthquake with sounds (that could make a bit dynamic map)
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 23 Aug 2014, 16:45

First, you can edit posts more then one single time. I think that´s not too hard to understand? :rolleyes:
Second, that already works. Tiank also tested some waterfalls, so if you move your camera in a close area of the waterfall, you will hear this sound, I guess that´s what you meant with "birds in forest.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”