Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Color palette

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Aug 2014, 22:23

Re: Color palette

Hey, with these new colors in the game, could you possibly add a deep/dark pink? I am thinking maybe the colors in the screenshot I provided may work.

I love this shade of pink so if you add it, I'll donate $1 to the Remake :D mmkay, bye ;)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Aug 2014, 02:48

I do understand why you would like to keep the colors already represented in the campaigns etc. but I personally see it completely opposite, that colors in the MP are in no relation to the SP colors and I don't see why they can't have a completely different palette, that is better balanced (in my opinion).

The neon green... are we all talking about this color: ? If yes, that is exactly the color (that I hate) that led me to this suggestion to change colors altogether.
This discussion can go on forever, since everyone has a different opinion. But I think it's worth spending some time on it because colours make the game look pretty and it's nice to have a good selection of colours that can be chosen (but I also don't want to waste days over it).

I don't have any problems with the neon green. It's nice to have bright colours in the game, it's meant to be fun not realistic after all :P

Here are the existing greens with the neon green added:
IMO they are all nice greens and different enough from each other to tell apart easily (including on the minimap). I also added the Lauenburg yellow in the bottom left, next to the new "golden yellow" and orange. IMO the two yellows are too similar to include them like this. Maybe golden yellow can be made a bit more orange... Honestly I don't mind if we don't add the Lauenburg yellow though, I prefer the golden yellow (but what does everyone else think?).

Does anyone other than Freddy/Pawel have an opinion on the greens/yellows?
Hey, with these new colors in the game, could you possibly add a deep/dark pink? I am thinking maybe the colors in the screenshot I provided may work.

I love this shade of pink so if you add it, I'll donate $1 to the Remake :D mmkay, bye ;)
Yeah good point, the selection of pinks is a bit limited, so I added magenta and dark pink: (two top middle colours in this screenshot, others are unchanged but shown for comparison)
IMO they are all nice colours and different enough :)

BTW, I really like the new teal:
I hadn't really noticed it until now.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Aug 2014, 03:01

AHHH YEAHHH nice new pinks (H)

As for the "Laurenburger Yellow," I personally don't see any need to add it. I find the golden yellow to be strikingly beautiful.
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 18 Aug 2014, 09:48

My eyes are bleeding :D

But seriously, could the magenta and neon green at least have a 10% drop in saturation? Pleeease :P

Other than that, like the dark pink very much. Maybe there is also other colors, that could be added (reddish brown?), I'll look into it.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Aug 2014, 10:01

But seriously, could the magenta and neon green at least have a 10% drop in saturation? Pleeease :P
Ok. I appreciate your work, but I don´t get it now (again) :P You said yourself a few posts ago that you started this topic because you yourself didn´t like the neongreen and that was the moment, you decided to bring new colors in. Now we have new colors, but this color was totaly missing. It´s a subjective feeling, so 10% are no reason. Why should (again) look the green 10% other than the green in tsk :P

I would really like if you could concentrate in finding new colors, like you wrote in your last sentence, that look different (and maybe you like them), so they can be added additionaly.

Maybe only your screen has wrong settings and is set too bright? :lol: because now I remember when I played tsk one time on my old computer, and the yellow from Lauenburg was really very "shiny" in an unnice way, but lowering the settings in kam and/or the settings from the screen fixed that. Changing color was no option back then, because the fire of buildings has even brighter yellow colors, than the lauenburger soldiers had :mrgreen:
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 18 Aug 2014, 10:18

Ok. I appreciate your work, but I don´t get it now (again) :P You said yourself a few posts ago that you started this topic because you yourself didn´t like the neongreen and that was the moment, you decided to bring new colors in. Now we have new colors, but this color was totaly missing. It´s a subjective feeling, so 10% are no reason. Why should (again) look the green 10% other than the green in tsk :P

I would really like if you could concentrate in finding new colors, like you wrote in your last sentence, that look different (and maybe you like them), so they can be added additionaly.

Maybe only your screen has wrong settings and is set too bright? :lol: because now I remember when I played tsk one time on my old computer, and the yellow from Lauenburg was really very "shiny" in an unnice way, but lowering the settings in kam and/or the settings from the screen fixed that. Changing color was no option back then, because the fire of buildings has even brighter yellow colors, than the lauenburger soldiers had :mrgreen:
My screen is fine, I go by the RGB codes. The neon green and magenta are 00FF00 and FF00FF respectively. They are the absolute maximum, that you can get from the range. And those colors are very unnatural, as most light has some kind of "pullution". The drop in the saturation makes the colors 0DF20D and F20DF2. It makes them a bit natural, by mixing a bit of the other colors. you won't know the difference in the color itself, the hue is the same, just it shines a bit less agressively (again, that is not a problem with my monitor).

I wanted to change the colors not because I would like new colors, but because I wanted to get rid of colors like these (sadly, others seem to like them, so they are gonna stay).

And while I like the dark pink etc., I sometimes have difficulty telling for example the teal and green apart in the game, when the soldiers move and you only scroll over the area. But that is probably because of the way the colors are distributed on the sprites and just can't be avoided.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 18 Aug 2014, 10:39

KaM is a very saturated game, so I don't think these colours are out of place. Look at the bright green of the grass, the saturated yellow/orange of the deserts, the blinding white/blue of the snow, the rich brown of the dirt. Also, they're not as bright as possible, they are 07FF07 and FF07FF, so slightly less than the most saturated colour possible.
And while I like the dark pink etc., I sometimes have difficulty telling for example the teal and green apart in the game, when the soldiers move and you only scroll over the area. But that is probably because of the way the colors are distributed on the sprites and just can't be avoided.
Yes, I'm concerned about that too, we need to be careful that the colours don't become too similar. For example I'm finding the dark pink very similar to red (maybe we can make it slightly more blue). But I have a TN monitor with not great colour reproduction so I'm probably not the best person to be choosing colours.
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 18 Aug 2014, 10:43

Also, they're not as bright as possible, they are 07FF07 and FF07FF, so slightly less than the most saturated colour possible.
That is a color slightly lighter (even worse), not less saturated. To decrease saturation, you need to subtract something from the main channel for the color too.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Aug 2014, 11:51

That´s my point also, what Lewin just wrote. KaM is a nice looking 2D game that is a bit bright and has nice (bright) colors. It´s the same about Settlers III-IV ( I compare these games, because they are very similar): Citiies, sodliers and the terrain should look beautiful^^. Nice looking water and bright fresh grass. That´s why I never got your idea up to the end. Why the colors should look "less bright", if the whole world in KaM looks like that :P Well but nvm, Lewin said most points that are important.

About new colors:

It´s hard to say if 2 colors are too similar to each other. A RC Version is the best way to test it :D I played a bit with colors few years ago (with magic blue color in tsk) and it´s really hard to say. Sometimes 2 colors look different, but if you have 2 Barbarians close too each other with a brown and a red-brown color, ON a brown terrain (I just remember when I first time didn´t notice that tsk 08 has barb-cities with different colors) than it might be confusing, while if people play Multiplayer on Frozen Waters with 70% snow, they won´t have any problem. /Same about yellow lances(not sure why lances :P ) in desert missions.

Just watching the 2 screenshots from you Lewin, I would say that on this one the 3rd color in the first row is too similar to the 3rd color in the second row. The others are quite cool, same for the green/blue colors on photo number 1(except for already discussed Lauenburg yellow and new yellow-orange):

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Aug 2014, 12:07

(I like the colors saturated so yeah!)

Also, Pawel has a good point about the dark pink and red ;)
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 18 Aug 2014, 12:13

Okay, last comment to the saturation topic... I do realize KaM is bright with high saturation. That is nice. But it doesn't have 100% saturation for almost anything except white. To me, it just looks off. But all in all, at least I have some "normal" colors to choose from now.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Aug 2014, 12:23

at least I have some "normal" colors to choose from now.
That´s the good point in the Remake (why I didn´t see a reason to change colors at all :P ). Everyone has for sure one of his favourites KaM colors (from the campaigns), if not he has additional colors in the multiplayer lobby and for every kid there should be a color that he likes :mrgreen:
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 18 Aug 2014, 12:32

at least I have some "normal" colors to choose from now.
That´s the good point in the Remake (why I didn´t see a reason to change colors at all :P ). Everyone has for sure one of his favourites KaM colors (from the campaigns), if not he has additional colors in the multiplayer lobby and for every kid there should be a color that he likes :mrgreen:
I like to choose different colors. But now I will probably stay with one of the greens. And again, I don't like to see any campaign colors in the MP. I have already seen them in SP, why would want to see them again? :D
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 18 Aug 2014, 15:55

Freddy it looks like you are the only one who hates neon green from original TSK, because I love it like the others. You cannot beat the voice of people! (6)
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 18 Aug 2014, 16:03

Just giving my opinion:
I like the colours as they are in the game. I don't mind that much if they get changed, except when colours end up 'missing' or when some look too much like each other. If it's just a little bit of tweaking... I'm fine with that. But seeing so many people protesting I'd say leave them as they are/restore them how they used to be (not sure what's the case right now). Beside Freddy, I've never seen anyone complaining about the colours since they became as they are now.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”