Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Color palette

<<

Freddy

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 28 Jul 2014, 08:10

Re: Color palette

I agree that this is a good way to choose colours (hence why the palettes I made are based off it), however that would require us to implement sliders that show a changing colour gradient across them, which is probably more effort than it's worth (all of our GUI controls are written by us so they can be in KaM style). For now we'll use a palette because we already have a control for that.
Well technically, if you iterated over brightness, it's the HSB model, which is different (less intuitive) than the HSL model, but I'm actually not able to tell what you iterated over pro the palettes. But I get that the picker would be work much better put into something else. The option to specify color by RGB in the static script is still gonna be there, won't it?
Yeah I also noticed there are less browns, and so I ended up going with the first palette (16 columns seems nicer than 15 for some reason :P). What do you think is better about the second one? It's not hard to change later.
Now I'm kinda undecided. I agreed with you, that brightness levels are more important than saturation. All in all, I don't know, it doesn't really matter I guess (the first one seems easier to choose from, is more smooth).
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 28 Jul 2014, 08:23

HSL / HSB are indeed most user-friendly color models.
Having them in MapEd would be a good thing. However, as discussed above, that is a lot of effort for little gain.

As for MP:

1. Many players would not bother picking their best color each time with some sliders. They just need a color they like and proceed. Having preset colors is simplest solution here
2. We need to keep players colors well distinct from each other, which is far from trivial if colors can be picked manually.
3. Some players can be very picky about insignificant color details and spend minutes fine-tuning the color they want (I had such friends playing NFS3 with me, they spent minutes picking the color for the 4min race)
4. Function is easily abused to pick colors indistinguishable from grass or other terrain colors on minimap.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 28 Jul 2014, 17:59

@Krom Not sure what you are reffering to with that. We were talking about MapEd only now. Of course MP colors need to be preset :) I Juts wanted to know if the RGB color setting in the static script for singleplayer will be there as Lewin mentioned earlier or if just the palette will be available.
<<

Obserwator

Peasant

Post 30 Jul 2014, 16:56

Ruby is the best colour, old colour on old KaM
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 01 Aug 2014, 16:24

I have one more thing to improve with colors, when you want to start SP map, you can choose the preset map from the MapED, because now it's the same as in MP. In SP noone else than player will be hurt if he will be chosing color for 1 hour :O .
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 01 Aug 2014, 17:07

Are these really going to be the new Mutiplayer colors? They're so ugly... Most are ok, but serious changing black to dark grey? Whose idea was that? And my favorite green color is ruined :S
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 01 Aug 2014, 19:10

Are these really going to be the new Mutiplayer colors? They're so ugly... Most are ok, but serious changing black to dark grey? Whose idea was that? And my favorite green color is ruined :S
I don't think that a color palette that si much more fluent than the previous should be called "ugly". Which one was your favorite green? Of course, different people, different opinions. My reasoning behind the colors is that KaM is a nature-color-themed game with a medieval atmosphere and colors should be vibrant but not neon-like (like the previous lime green, which wasn't lime at all). Also the blue and black were just blue and full black in the RGB spectrum, which makes them really sharp. The black also didn't make use of darkening in the shadows, it was already pitch black.

This is my reasoning behind the change, the original colors bugged me every time I saw them.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 01 Aug 2014, 19:26

Why fix something if it isn't broke?

The original blue is too blue, I agree. But why change the dark-red and dark-green colors? They look totally different. And I like black as pitch black. It looks evil, and is very good for that reason.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 01 Aug 2014, 19:59

I'm unsure about the black but it doesn't hurt me that much, it'll look fine either way I guess. I totally love the changes to all the blue colors, olive and light green. However I gotta agree: dark green is way too dark.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 02 Aug 2014, 01:42

Also, don't you think that the pink color is too close to white? It looks like white-pink; hardly pink at all. I feel the same way about the current pink Remake color, but this is way worse. I think it should have a lot more pink in it; perhaps a hot pink.

Same thing with the tan color: way too close to white.
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 02 Aug 2014, 08:10

Why fix something if it isn't broke?
As I already stated, some of the original colors weren't good at all.
However I gotta agree: dark green is way too dark.
Actually I agree with this, looked up the dark green that is in the original KaM sprite palette and it is slightly lighter, which I find a bit better.

So Lewin (!), if you read this, perhaps change the code for dark green to:
  Code:
$FF196400, // Dark green
Also, don't you think that the pink color is too close to white? It looks like white-pink; hardly pink at all. I feel the same way about the current pink Remake color, but this is way worse. I think it should have a lot more pink in it; perhaps a hot pink.

Same thing with the tan color: way too close to white.
These colors are fine, the are roughly the same as they were, just the hue changed a tiny bit. Lightness and the implied contrast with white is not a problem.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 02 Aug 2014, 16:53

According to you these are "fine" and originals are "flawed" but since these are colors and are largely up to people's opinions, I'd like to see some facts before mucking up the system.

What does green look like now? And can you pleeeeassseee make the "new" dark red look at least somewhat like the current one? I don't like that stale blood color. Let's try to stay close to originals, k?
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 02 Aug 2014, 16:59

I for myself like the current MP colors set. As Ben points out, this is indeed largely a matter of opinions ;)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 02 Aug 2014, 18:01

According to you these are "fine" and originals are "flawed" but since these are colors and are largely up to people's opinions, I'd like to see some facts before mucking up the system.

What does green look like now? And can you pleeeeassseee make the "new" dark red look at least somewhat like the current one? I don't like that stale blood color. Let's try to stay close to originals, k?
The facts I have already stated regarding the hue and sharp contrast of some colors.

And what exactly is different on the dark red color to you?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 02 Aug 2014, 18:22

It looks totally different. Can't you achieve a similar color with this beloved shading of yours?

Again, I don't want to see the multiplayer colors change. They weren't a problem before and I don't see them as a problem now. Sure, there are colors that I'd like to be different, but there are many who would disagree on those changes, too. Again, why fix something if it isn't broken?

Further, I do agree that this color method is much nicer for singleplayer maps; since the user will be able to pick any color he wants anyway.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”