New level of Trolling

<<

Weekend

Farmer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 28 Mar 2014, 14:33

New level of Trolling

Hey guys

today i´ve seen a new level of trolling. I played with some randoms cursed ravine 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2. My teammate was afk and did nothing and i was like 1 vs 2 is more fun anyway. After 50 mins my teammate wrote that:

" Ye 1 vs 2 can be funny"
"If i let you play hahahaha"

after that he slowed down his internet to 5 fps and so it was unpossible to continue the game :/ (since randoms are to silly to rehost and use autosave)
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 28 Mar 2014, 18:38

Re: New level of Trolling

It shouldn't be allowed to zoom out that much when KaM and his computer cannot handle it.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 28 Mar 2014, 18:57

That's hardly a solution. There are countless ways to lower your frame rate. Restricting players from zooming will hardly accomplish anything.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

RandomLyrics

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 28 Mar 2014, 19:17

Still u can just quit game after 50 mins of game, troll players always will be :P
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 28 Mar 2014, 19:26

But it makes harder to lower the fps. I think less players would make a fps problem if there wouldn't be so big zoom out possibility. Someone would open 10 instances of an application just to slow down the computer or something like this? I don't think most of them can make it in any different way.

A proper solution would be a fps and ping monitoring system, which is not that hard to implement. Simply it can count how much latency does a player cause totally in seconds. I mean the sum of milliseconds that comes from each small game stop. If he has problem, the game could allow to kick him and let someone else host.

Even if this kind of trolling is prevented, there are also other methods too. So just avoid trolls, and quit from the game if you see one.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 28 Mar 2014, 22:34

That isn´t anything new and I already wrote in older topics how to fix this!

Some people from ts did that also, not for trolling, but they just zoomed out and didn´t noticed that they slow down everyone else.

About Ben, I have to disagree to you. To lower the FPS, it´s probably the easiest thing what you can do, when you just zoom out. You can watch it "live" how the FPS are decreasing by "just" zooming out. Sure there are also many other possibilites to lower your FPS, but this is probably the easiest way for an average troller who doesn´t know much about computers, but just to want to troll fast and easiest way, as just possible :lol:

My Solution was like a 2step "auto zoom" :D :

1.) If your FPS are under a critical Limit ( I would say 20-25) the game just resets the zooming out feature once for the "lagging" person
2.) (If he is trolling for example) and zoom out again, and his FPS are again under a critical Limit, the zoom will be reseted again and he can´t zoom out anymore (For 20 minutes, for example)

I remember just, that Lewin disliked my idea, because it would be an intervention in the players game. You can normaly do whatever you like in KaM and have like no limit what you do, so this would be like a gameplay "limit". That´s why Lewin disliked it. :mrgreen: However I think we have to think about sth like I just said. If some player starts with these trolling, its possible that more and more players will just do that :rolleyes:

Pawel95
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 28 Mar 2014, 22:49

I think what Yoda Randziu said is imporant:
troll players always will be
I don't like Pawel solution, it's too big interference into player's side. Now, from beta release, there would be a possibility to pause the game and ban a troll. It may prevent situations like this one.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 28 Mar 2014, 22:56

I don't like Pawel solution, it's too big interference into player's side. Now, from beta release, there would be a possibility to pause the game and ban a troll. It may prevent situations like this one.
True, but first of all the "Return to lobby" has to be improved first with a vote, cause this nice feature will bring most trolls in the public release actualy ;-)
Second point: What do you wanna do if you have a bad day in KaM Multiplayer and will just get like 3 trollers in a row. Someone isn´t building anything, you ban him. You have to rehost the game. Again someone is just trolling you with zooming out. Again return to lobby? I mean sure, it´s a solution that works, because we have tested the tournament beta only with TeamSpeak guys :mrgreen: but if you ask me, I don´t think this will help much in "random gaming".

BTW good that you said it : "Ban".
Actualy I´m not sure if the ban function will be used for trolling also. Even on ts I saw some recent guys who just banned if someone joined with a funny trollish nickname, instead of giving him a 2nd chance by just kicking him. However, I don´t think we can find any way of fixing this (only maybe a Vote function in the lobby to ban someone permanently, because "baning" should be only used at hard trying trollers /rejoining players :mrgreen: )
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 29 Mar 2014, 06:57

Pawel solution is not that bad. I think something that doesn't work, shouldn't be allowed. Maybe zoom out shouldn't be allowed, or needs to be limited, regardless of the fps. It's not that kind of intervention. Lagging is also a gameplay limit. The problem with return to lobby is what if the host is troll.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Mar 2014, 09:09

I'm laughing so hard at this topic right now.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Tiank

Knight

Post 29 Mar 2014, 10:02

@David: Maybe limiting zoom is a good idea in general. There is no use in maximum zoom-in or maximum zoom-out. I mostly use zoom out, to see battlefield, but I think it's like half of the maximum zoom, maybe less. Limiting it won't stop trolling, but could help.

@Pawel: There would never be a perfect solution, but return to lobby and ban are really helpful in preventing trolling. There would be two options in random gaming, first: you are the host, you are fair and use theses new functions wisely, people know you and at one point they trust you. Second option: you join someone's lobby, if you don't know anyone you take the risk of being trolled.

Vote option for ban would be good for sure.

But still, I don't see trolling as a major problem in random gaming. Trolling will always be, like someone already said. The best solution for now is playing with known players (not only TS users) and finding new fair players in random games.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 29 Mar 2014, 10:07

Would it be possible to make the game lag only for the lagging player?

I mean: if a player is having 3 FPS and another is having 30 FPS, wouldn't it be possible to have the game engine of the lagging player detect this and "skip" those frames and compute as if it was playing on 10x speed, so that the FPS of the other players is unaffected and the game keeps in sync?

I'm not sure if I explained this well enough to be understandable... :$
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 29 Mar 2014, 11:51

Not sure if it´s important to write a new post for that and your laughing doesn´t help really to solve this "problem" :rolleyes:
and finding new fair players in random games.
Well, it will be harder and harder, to find new people unless you can already see what happend to our community. (Ok maybe you can´t, unless I know you personaly only since you registered for my battle tournament, so you are quite "new" for me :mrgreen: ), but like this gamespeed function: More and more people just decided to play only games with ts guys. We had this topic already where many people said, that they stopped playing with random guys completely like I just did, because of gamespeed, because of trolling in every game.... So finding new people and invite them to us, is getting harder and harder.

Would it be possible to make the game lag only for the lagging player?
You are correct and the idea is not bad. It works this way in many new First person shooters. Even when you have like 5 FPS, the other players shouldn´t notice anything. HOWEVER you won´t win any games, because of those "skipped" frames. :D
So back to KaM: I don´t think this is possible to do easily. I don´t want to go more in detail, because Lewin or Krom will know it beter in the case of KaM :P , but I think they would have to edit a very big part, to make that possible. (Same about ignoring ping, instead of "waiting for") So it isn´t worth the huge work, to just prevent such trolling.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 29 Mar 2014, 12:24

Not sure if it´s important to write a new post for that and your laughing doesn´t help really to solve this "problem" :rolleyes:
The only logical explanation is that Ben was the troll that made Weekend's game lag :X
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 29 Mar 2014, 16:14

I think it's not possible to make only someone's computer lag, because KaM works with ticks that are each 100 ms. I suppose that the lag happens if the computer cannot process everything in that 100 ms.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”