Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Block weapon delivery to Barracks

<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Dec 2012, 09:49

Block weapon delivery to Barracks

I've been implementing this handy little feature that we have been asked for a number of times now. There's one question I need you guys to help with:

If player has no Barracks, weapons are delivered to a Store. However, as soon as player builds Barracks, the weapons will not be delivered to Store and will be always delivered to Barracks. That's how it worked in KaM. Now the question, if player blocks weapon delivery into Barracks, should the weapons be delivered to Store? I guess they should, unless they are blocked there too. Same with multiple Barracks, weapons should be delivered to nearest Barracks that accepts them, and if not - no nearest Store that accepts them.

What do you say? )
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 18 Dec 2012, 11:10

Re: Block weapon delivery to Barracks

that is a good idea krom, but i think the main reason people want to be able to block weapons in the baracks is for trading purposes. I think it will work fine the way you described it.

On an unrelate sidenote, will the same be happening to the inn?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 18 Dec 2012, 11:16

They do need to bring it to the closest storehouse indeed, although I think most people will block that as well. Like Disco said, it will mainly be used for weapon trade.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

-George Stain-

Axe Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 18 Dec 2012, 12:35

ofc.. age of wooden shield is coming :-D but there is another possible as krom sayed.. more barracks.. it can be usefull for quick army after PT, first barrack for leather and second for iron for example.. but still in my eyes.. market values are the biggest problem atm..

(off topic, I thought why are pikemens and lacers useless.. and it's becouse there is no real fear from horses. hard to produce them etc..

so if will be axes and swords less powerfull against horses, or horses have little bonus in attack against axes and swords.. ther will be need build counter horse units, becouse fighting with foot soldiers will be more unefective against horses. Don't judge me now, I am just thinking loud)
Image Image Image
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 18 Dec 2012, 13:42

Well, it makes sense that they will be brought to the storehouse if barracks don't accept them. What about multiple barracks and recruits? If they just go to the nearest barracks it might be a bit problematic sometimes. Now the "block recruits coming to the barracks" feature might get handy.
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 18 Dec 2012, 13:46

George is right, or we'll see what's different with the slightly lower market value of wood.
But I don't get what you mean about horses? You don't fear them?
I think some games already showed that having no anti-pony against a player with ponies is a very dangerous situation.
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 18 Dec 2012, 13:47

For now I hope players will build School next to the Barracks and control the Recruits amount from there (by training more when needed)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 19 Dec 2012, 06:18

In regards to the original question, I think if the weapon is blocked in the barracks but allowed in the store, then it should be taken to the store. If somebody wants the weapon to stay in the workshop where it was made, he should block it in both the barracks and the store.
For now I hope players will build School next to the Barracks and control the Recruits amount from there (by training more when needed)
That sounds fine to me, if you can afford two barracks you can afford two schools.

On a related topic, how are we going to address trading weapons? Should weapons always be taken from the barracks to the market for trading? Or once they are in the barracks they are stuck there forever? Maybe they should only be taken out if you block delivery in the barracks? I'd like to hear what people think about this, what would be best?
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 19 Dec 2012, 10:18

i do happen to know when you fully close your baracks currently the recruits will not go there, so it might be possible to manage it with that. It might be a tad hard to manage though.

as for taking weapons out of the barracks, it could work i guess if you have many spare weapons.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Thomas

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 19 Dec 2012, 11:03

On a related topic, how are we going to address trading weapons? Should weapons always be taken from the barracks to the market for trading? Or once they are in the barracks they are stuck there forever? Maybe they should only be taken out if you block delivery in the barracks? I'd like to hear what people think about this, what would be best?
IMO the most intuitive way is to always take the weapons from the barracks, because when you'd like to trade you know that the weapons have to be taken from somewhere (maybe first store and then barracks). And I also think that they shouldn't be taken out if you block delivery in the barracks as this might be too hard to understand especially for new players.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 19 Dec 2012, 12:08

Lewin/Krom... this is my opinion.

About Recruits: They should walk towards closest Barracks when trained (normal behaviour).
However I like the "block recruits entrance" feature as well, to make it complete.
If it's true that in future all buildings will be able to "block worker's entrance" by closing the building's door (TODO list), then it's reasonable to have already this feature in Barracks regarding recruits. It may be useful we know.

About Weapons:
Serfs should first be trading those weapons who come out from armories/workshops, then yes... serfs that go inside a Barracks can get out a weapon for trading. "Stuck forever" is not what many are expecting, specially when you have 50 lances and 0 leather armor.

This trading could cause you bottlejam (negative pathfinding for the player), which is the pay-consequence of having to trade spare weapons.
If your military production was better designed, you wouldn't need to be trading spare weapons stuck at Barracks.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 19 Dec 2012, 12:57

Resources will now be taken out of the barracks when they are requested to be traded at the market. They will not be taken out for any other reason. The block option in the barracks only stops resources coming in, they will still be taken out when blocked (same as blocking in the storehouse).

I still not sure about blocking recruits, I suppose if you have more than one barracks it is kind of needed. Does anybody think they'd use two barracks? I'm not sure how it would be better than one TBH. It makes me wonder why blocking weapon delivery to the barracks is really needed at all.
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 19 Dec 2012, 13:02

I would never use 2 barracks in multiplayer, but in singleplayer where you have a very big base it really could solve unsolvable traffic jams.
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 19 Dec 2012, 13:05

I would never use 2 barracks in multiplayer, but in singleplayer where you have a very big base it really could solve unsolvable traffic jams.
Yeah, singleplayer/co-operative is about the only place I expect people to use it. I guess it could be cool to build a massive base with an "iron barracks" and a "wooden barracks" :)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 19 Dec 2012, 13:58

yeah in multiplayer i do not see the point, but i can imagine singleplayer missions having 2 barracks in them.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”