Concerning the Upgrade to Iron Units

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 07 Dec 2012, 04:37

Re: Concerning the Upgrade to Iron Units

I used percentage because that's what the TSK manual uses.

Anyway, I wasn't really comparing bowmen and crossbowmen to other troops. I was stating how crossbowmen are about 3 times stronger than bowmen, while swordfighters are only almost twice as good a axefighters.
Yeah, for some reason the values in the manual (at least the English one) aren't the values used by the game. In the game bowmen have attack 60, crossbowmen have attack 120. So they are still about twice as good, same as the other troops.
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 07 Dec 2012, 08:25

No Bence you're wrong, I used google. :D
Attack rate = Cooldown between each attack.
Attack strentch = Damage inflicted each attack.
So the values you mentioned are actually attack strentch.
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 07 Dec 2012, 09:56

No Bence you're wrong, I used google. :D
Attack rate = Cooldown between each attack.
Attack strentch = Damage inflicted each attack.
So the values you mentioned are actually attack strentch.

Damage inflictsd? Don't be kidding Bo. All successful attacks inflict 1 damage, no matter what soldier is attacking ;) Anyway ask Lewin and Krom, they surely know the values. But I'm sure there is no difference between inflicted damages.
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 07 Dec 2012, 10:13

Damage inflictsd? Don't be kidding Bo. All successful attacks inflict 1 damage, no matter what soldier is attacking ;) Anyway ask Lewin and Krom, they surely know the values. But I'm sure there is no difference between inflicted damages.
I don't really follow the context of this discussion but I'll try to help:
Attack strength determines how likely you are to inflict damage on the enemy. But for each strike there is a maximum of 1 damage inflicted.
Probability to inflict damage = AttackStrength/TargetDefence. So for a knight with 55 attack strength against a axefighter with 2 defence, 55/2 = 27.5% change to inflict damage with each strike. There are bonuses for attacking from directions other than the front, that's why flanking and surrounding your enemy is important.

Units do not have an attack rate/frequency in KaM. All melee soldiers attack at the same rate (there is a certain number of frames in their animation and pauses at certain points, which is the same for all melee soldiers).
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 07 Dec 2012, 10:41

So for a knight with 55 attack strength against a axefighter with 2 defence, 55/2 = 27.5% change to inflict damage with each strike.
Yeah I've miscalculated that :$ xD
Units do not have an attack rate/frequency in KaM. All melee soldiers attack at the same rate (there is a certain number of frames in their animation and pauses at certain points, which is the same for all melee soldiers).
With "attack rate" I wanted to describe "strenght" if that's the correct word for it. Sorry for my mistake :D

There are bonuses for attacking from directions other than the front, that's why flanking and surrounding your enemy is important.
Are those bonuses known Lewin? And if yes, are they bonuses like x%, or like +x attack strength?

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 07 Dec 2012, 10:57

Are those bonuses known Lewin? And if yes, are they bonuses like x%, or like +x attack strength?
They are multipliers to the attack strength, not an addition. Well the German guide book reported them as follows:
front side: 1
diagonal front side: 2
edgewise(from the unit left or right): 3
diagonal back side: 4
back side: 5

And this is what we use in the Remake. So a militia attacking a knight from the back has the chance to hit:
35*5/3 = 58%
Which is why militia and other weak units have a chance to kill stronger units if they can outnumber them :) It's one of the things that makes the KaM fighting system interesting.
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 07 Dec 2012, 11:04

I see.. so a Barb takes 1-3-4 (depending on the type of troop [ranged-melee-mounted]) hits to kill a unit from behind? LOL :D Barbs op!

<<

Bo_

Knight

Post 07 Dec 2012, 16:55

Are the bonusses also here for arrows/bolts?
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Nissarin

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 07 Dec 2012, 17:57

If I'm not mistaken Lewin mentioned some time ago that such bonuses would make ranged attacks overpowered, so no.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 08 Dec 2012, 01:10

If I'm not mistaken Lewin mentioned some time ago that such bonuses would make ranged attacks overpowered, so no.
Yes, and I also think it would be kind of odd because moving away when you are being shot you would lose a lot of men. Also if your opponent was able to put archers to the side of where you are coming from they would be at a huge advantage. I prefer arrows always being the same no matter which direction you are facing. Nobody knows how it worked in the original game.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”