<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 06 Aug 2012, 14:15

Unpopular Multiplayer Maps

Hey everyone,
As you've probably noticed the Remake now has a lot of included maps, and people keep submitting more and more. The list is already quite long and hard to use, so at some point we have limit the number of maps that are included, and replace old, less popular maps with new ones. That's what this topic is about, deciding on maps that can be deleted to make way for other maps.

Choosing maps to be removed is a tricky job, it risks offending the people that made the map or deleting a potentially popular/good map. That's why we want your help.

1. Please reply to this topic with a list of maps you think should be deleted from the Remake. If you don't want to offend anyone, you can send your vote to me anonymously by PM. You must put one or more reasons for why the map should be removed, here's a list of valid reasons: Terrain quality, unbalanced, unpopular (feel free to add your own though) Voting is of course optional, if you don't think any maps should be deleted then don't vote.

2. If you see a map on the list which you think should not be deleted, you can also vote to keep it (here or by PM). This will subtract one from the vote. You cannot do this for a map you made yourself, although feel free to discuss why you think it should stay.

List of maps proposed for deletion: (I'm using a code block so it lines up, press expand if you can't see it all)
  Code:
VOTES MAP REASONS 1 The King's Favourite Terrain quality, unpopular 1 Tundra Unbalanced, unpopular
This topic will be used to help judge the community's views on maps, and the maps which receive the most votes will probably be the ones that get deleted to make room for new maps.

To end on a more positive note, any map on the list could be improved (either by the original author or with permission from them) and then reconsidered to be added again. If you would like to see a map improved, mention that here (with things that need improving) and I'll keep a list of those:

List of maps proposed for improvements:
Blitzkrieg
  • Lewin: I love the map but don't think the "deathmatch" style works. I'd rather see the two players spread out more on either side of the canyon.
Lake Wololo
  • Private.NL: The landscape is not hilly enough. And, the players on the top have not got enough gold. They can't produce it, so they get 250 gold. That is unbalanced with the amount of iron mines (5 i believe) for that player.
Borderlands
  • Nayot: Pretty unbalanced, because players on the down side of the map have longer way to stone.
  • Luki: resorces are so far. When i played this, it was always mass toweer spam to blok enemies coal.Very boring. For me improving can help this map( especially adding more coal closer).

Cheers,
Lewin.
P.S. I've only proposed a few maps myself so far, don't let that stop you from listing a lot of maps if you really don't like them. I'll keep the list sorted so the maps with the most votes go at the top.
<<

Private.NL

Axe Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 06 Aug 2012, 14:34

Re: Unpopular Multiplayer Maps

Choosing maps to be removed is a tricky job, it risks offending the people that made the map or deleting a potentially popular/good map. That's why we want your help.
Good decision. How about a poll to vote. That will keep it easier the lots of people to vote, and we keep this topic a bit easier to read. The discussion could be here, in this topic, or how about making a new 'map' in the forum for the voting of maps, so that we can make a new topic for each map.
To end on a more positive note, any map on the list could be improved (either by the original author or with permission from them) and then reconsidered to be added again. If you would like to see a map improved, mention that here (with things that need improving)...
I tottaly agree. I think it is hard to make a good map, and it takes a lot of time. So we should give the auctors something to keep them building otherwise we would not get any new map at all imo.
Always look on the bright side of KaM! :D
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 06 Aug 2012, 14:38

Good decision. How about a poll to vote. That will keep it easier the lots of people to vote, and we keep this topic a bit easier to read. The discussion could be here, in this topic, or how about making a new 'map' in the forum for the voting of maps, so that we can make a new topic for each map.
That's kind of difficult because there are over 100 maps, and I don't want to restrict people too much in what they can vote for (that's just biasing it). That's why I decided to do it this way, although I agree a poll would be easier. Maybe once a list of candidates has been established we can have a poll where people vote for the ones they'd most like to have removed. I'm open to suggestions.
<<

Private.NL

Axe Fighter

Post 06 Aug 2012, 14:48

That's kind of difficult because there are over 100 maps, and I don't want to restrict people too much in what they can vote for (that's just biasing it). That's why I decided to do it this way, although I agree a poll would be easier. Maybe once a list of candidates has been established we can have a poll where people vote for the ones they'd most like to have removed. I'm open to suggestions.
Oke, well I see the point that there are a lot of maps. I think the map Lake Wololo (or something) needs editing. The landscape is not hilly enough. And, the players on the top have not got enough gold. They can't produce it, so they get 250 gold. That is unbalanced with the amount of iron mines (5 i believe) for that player.
Always look on the bright side of KaM! :D
<<

vovets1

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 06 Aug 2012, 14:50

Still need to remove the map "The Citadel", because it is unbalanced and unpopular.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 06 Aug 2012, 14:56

Still need to remove the map "The Citadel", because it is unbalanced and unpopular.
It's currently the 17th most popular map out of over one hundred (it's been played 158 times) so I'm not sure you can say it's that unpopular. The balance was improved in r3392, but it's a very hard map to balance. I like the idea because it's unique, I used to love playing siege maps in Stronghold. I haven't really played on it so I'm not sure whether it's fun/balanced.
<<

vovets1

Sword Fighter

Post 06 Aug 2012, 15:04

I didnt knew about it. Ok.
<<

Luki

Lance Carrier

Post 06 Aug 2012, 19:06

Bannockburn: I like idea of history battle, but those 2 guys have too many bowmen. It should be improved. In my opinion reducing numbers of archers owned by this 2 guys or added some knights to this 4 guys and maybe slighty increased infantry(especially swordmen, pikes are enough)

The Citadel: I like this map. I played as defender and as attacker. Solo player should have little more melee troops( mainly swordmen, pikes). Now have mainly xbows and knights, and can be easy countered. Maybe reduce a little attackers army( by 1-2 packs each?).
<<

Nayot

Blacksmith

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 07 Aug 2012, 05:53

''Boarderlands'' Pretty unbalanced, because players on the down side of the map have longer way to stone.
<<

Luki

Lance Carrier

Post 07 Aug 2012, 15:03

Agree with Boardelands- and resorces are so far. When i played this, it was always mass toweer spam to blok enemies coal.Very boring. For me improving can help this map( especially adding more coal closer).

Across The Desert; Personally dont like this map, but most people like it. But one thing should be fixed- gold. If game on Across will last more than 100 min, players had no gold. Many time i won, cause i saved more gold than enemy or traded gold ore faster. 1 small rock per player is veeery low.
<<

ChrisEggII

Sword Fighter

Post 07 Aug 2012, 21:16

I don't like Across The Dessert neither. This map is unbalanced. 2nd and 3rd positions are really easy to defence. Last time I played 4vs2 in this map. After 3 hours of siege two players from my team surrendered. After next 1 hour I ended this too. This was definitely too long for me.
Next maps which shouldn't be in Reamake are "Battle Sun" and alternative version with moon (I don't remember name). Those maps are really empty! In minimap this looks good, but in game there aren't anything interesting.
Next are both "Heroes of Might and Axe"... They look ugly and they aren't popular.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 08 Aug 2012, 00:18

I love Across the Desert but I agree - those 2 eastern locations are worse than the others. 2,3 are very easy to defend, and 4, 5 got a lot of place and are easy to defend in 2v2v2 (and not that hard for a good player in 3v3 left vs right). 1 (bottom-left) is so-so, it's like loc 3 but mines are a bit more far, and if you want farms you need to build them in some weird place (far south or north). And 6, which is a disastrous location to me - everything is far (stone and wood at opposite sides and very far, coal in a weird place), this loc is most open BUT the tightest one at once... many entrances, not much space.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 08 Aug 2012, 09:08

Allow me:

- 1000 Corpses
Unbalanced, unpopular, terrain is average
- Atoll
Is like Coastal Encounter but the terrain is pretty bad
- Bannockburn
As said before I like the historical story behind it but it is indeed very unbalanced and the map quality is extremely poor
- Battle Moon
Unpopular and uninteresting terrain
- Dream
Unbalanced
- Frozen Canyons
Mostly flat and pretty boring map
- Game of Thrones
Unbalanced, questionable map quality
- Game of Thrones II
- HOMA I
- HOMA II
- Kaderto
Has had its' best time; unbalanced and unpopular
- L-O-S-T Survival
Unpopular, unbalanced, map
- Open World
Needs to be fixed, one player has 50 flour while all others only have 10. That's what you get if you're used to giving every player a different starting amount of resources
- Roads
Unbalanced, unpopular
- The Kingdoms
Unpopular, unbalanced...
- The King's Favourite
Unpopular, unbalanced, poor map quality
- Time To Die I - Swamp
Pretty unpopular, ugly terrain
- Tundra
Unbalanced and unpopular

That's all for now, my list was actually 36 maps long but I removed some of them.
<<

Bo_

Knight

Post 08 Aug 2012, 09:34

Allow me:

- 1000 Corpses
Unbalanced, unpopular, terrain is average
- Atoll
Is like Coastal Encounter but the terrain is pretty bad
- Bannockburn
As said before I like the historical story behind it but it is indeed very unbalanced and the map quality is extremely poor
- Battle Moon
Unpopular and uninteresting terrain
- Dream
Unbalanced
- Frozen Canyons
Mostly flat and pretty boring map
- Game of Thrones
- Game of Thrones II
- HOMA I
- HOMA II
- Kaderto
Has had its' best time; unbalanced and unpopular
- L-O-S-T Survival
Unpopular, unbalanced, map
- Open World
Needs to be fixed, one player has 50 flour while all others only have 10. That's what you get if you're used to giving every player a different starting amount of resources
- Roads
Unbalanced, unpopular
- The Kingdoms
Unpopular, unbalanced...
- The King's Favourite
Unpopular, unbalanced, poor map quality
- Time To Die I - Swamp
Pretty unpopular, ugly terrain
- Tundra
Unbalanced and unpopular

That's all for now, my list was actually 36 maps long but I removed some of them.
I agree with all those maps.
But maps that should also be deleted:
Bad Mountains: Unbalanced, who want's to play 5 vs 3 anyway?
Battle for coal: Ok it's an original Kam map, but the way this map should be played isn't possible with pt, and without pt it's just micro battle from the beginning..
Battle sun: It looks too empty for me. I wonder if the maker has realy worked on this..
Batlle sun 1 vs 4. Unbalanced, and same for Battle sun.

I'll complete the last later on.
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 08 Aug 2012, 09:38

If I'm correct Bad Mountains isn't in the Remake, it just roams in people's Remake folder because the Remake installer doesn't overwrite the map directory.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”