Maximum laborers per house

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 07 Oct 2012, 09:23

Maximum laborers per house

Seeing as the top players these days use about 40 laborers, it makes sense to limit the number per house. You don't need 40 people trying to build 1 goldmine :P

So we need to decide on limits for each house. I don't think we should make them too low, since this is designed to stop 40 laborers building one building, we're not trying to design the game for players who like to have e.g. 2 laborers on every house so they can build lots of stuff at once. If a player likes to build more 1-by-1 then he should get a reasonable number of laborers building his houses.
For example I think 3 for the gold mine and 4 for the iron mine are good numbers, since that many laborers can effectively build those houses.

Here is the code that defines it, if you want to make a suggestion for every house please edit this and post it inside code tags, then I can just paste it back into the game: (note: I haven't put any thought into the numbers here, I just copy/pasted most of them and changed a few to test)
  Code:
10,{ht_ArmorSmithy} 10,{ht_ArmorWorkshop} 10,{ht_Bakery} 15,{ht_Barracks} 10,{ht_Butchers} 10,{ht_CoalMine} 10,{ht_Farm} 10,{ht_FisherHut} 3, {ht_GoldMine} 10,{ht_Inn} 4 ,{ht_IronMine} 10,{ht_IronSmithy} 15,{ht_Marketplace} 10,{ht_Metallurgists} 10,{ht_Mill} 10,{ht_Quary} 10,{ht_Sawmill} 10,{ht_School} 10,{ht_SiegeWorkshop} 10,{ht_Stables} 10,{ht_Store} 10,{ht_Swine} 10,{ht_Tannery} 10,{ht_TownHall} 10,{ht_WatchTower} 10,{ht_WeaponSmithy} 10,{ht_WeaponWorkshop} 10,{ht_Wineyard} 10 {ht_Woodcutters}
Please comment on other people's suggestions, hopefully we'll end up with something everybody is happy with :)
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 07 Oct 2012, 09:32

Re: Maximum laborers per house

I think best number is something like this: House_Perimeter - 1.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Florek

Pikeman

Post 07 Oct 2012, 09:48

Maybe leave this choice for players preference? Everyone will be able to set his laborers per specified building in special menu that will looks like wares prioritize?

Anyway, while most of the players prefer compressed cities, then 10 on most buildings would rather slows down the ratio due to traffics and crowds instead of real help. :p
powah gamin! - trusted source of best KaM Remake replays!
Conquest of Paradise - balanced 1v1 map in the spirit of maps like Golden Cliffs or Across the Desert
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 07 Oct 2012, 10:05

Maybe leave this choice for players preference? Everyone will be able to set his laborers per specified building in special menu that will looks like wares prioritize?
I think that's allowing way more customization than is necessary. It just complicates the game and makes it inaccessible for new players. I personally feel put off by a new game that has thousands of options and tweaks.

This isn't meant to make it as optimal as possible, this is meant to stop stupid stuff happening like 40 laborers going to build one building, or 10 laborers on one gold mine. 14-15 laborers on a barracks sounds fine to me, even if some people would say that's too many.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 07 Oct 2012, 10:21

Code:
10,{ht_ArmorSmithy} 10,{ht_ArmorWorkshop} 10,{ht_Bakery} 15,{ht_Barracks} 10,{ht_Butchers} 10,{ht_CoalMine} 10,{ht_Farm} 10,{ht_FisherHut} 3, {ht_GoldMine} 10,{ht_Inn} 4 ,{ht_IronMine} 10,{ht_IronSmithy} 0,{ht_Marketplace} 10,{ht_Metallurgists} 10,{ht_Mill} 10,{ht_Quary} 10,{ht_Sawmill} 10,{ht_School} 10,{ht_SiegeWorkshop} 10,{ht_Stables} 10,{ht_Store} 10,{ht_Swine} 10,{ht_Tannery} 10,{ht_TownHall} 10,{ht_WatchTower} 10,{ht_WeaponSmithy} 10,{ht_WeaponWorkshop} 10,{ht_Wineyard} 10 {ht_Woodcutters}
This seems good to me.

Seriously though, why assign 15 builders to the marketplace but not to the school or the inn? And stables are just as expensive as the marketplace + they are a larger building. I think max. 10 builders per building should be enough, maybe with exception of the barracks.
I suggest something like this:
  Code:
8,{ht_ArmorSmithy} 8,{ht_ArmorWorkshop} 8,{ht_Bakery} 12,{ht_Barracks} 8,{ht_Butchers} 6,{ht_CoalMine} 8,{ht_Farm} 8,{ht_FisherHut} 3, {ht_GoldMine} 10,{ht_Inn} 4 ,{ht_IronMine} 8,{ht_IronSmithy} 10,{ht_Marketplace} 8,{ht_Metallurgists} 8,{ht_Mill} 6,{ht_Quary} 8,{ht_Sawmill} 10,{ht_School} 8,{ht_SiegeWorkshop} 10,{ht_Stables} 10,{ht_Store} 8,{ht_Swine} 8,{ht_Tannery} 10,{ht_TownHall} 6,{ht_WatchTower} 8,{ht_WeaponSmithy} 8,{ht_WeaponWorkshop} 8,{ht_Wineyard} 6 {ht_Woodcutters}
<<

Florek

Pikeman

Post 07 Oct 2012, 10:24

Agree with The Dark Lord's numbers, those original seems to be a bit too high. If you don't want to force players to limits, that you can just make option with on/off.
powah gamin! - trusted source of best KaM Remake replays!
Conquest of Paradise - balanced 1v1 map in the spirit of maps like Golden Cliffs or Across the Desert
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 07 Oct 2012, 10:30

I would hardcode it, KaM already has enough extra options, no need to add even more ))
I like TDLs figures )
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 07 Oct 2012, 11:13

The original numbers I entered were just copy and pasted with a few changes to test that it was working, they weren't meant as a suggestion :P

I also like TDL's figures but I'd like to change:
Fisherman's hut to 7 (it only has 9 places you can build from).

Anybody else have suggestions?
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 07 Oct 2012, 20:02

TDL, 0 for marktrplace? :D
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Luki

Lance Carrier

Post 07 Oct 2012, 20:34

Code:
6,{ht_ArmorSmithy} 6,{ht_ArmorWorkshop} 7,{ht_Bakery} 12,{ht_Barracks} 6,{ht_Butchers} 5,{ht_CoalMine} 9,{ht_Farm} 5,{ht_FisherHut} 2, {ht_GoldMine} 9,{ht_I1nn} 4 ,{ht_IronMine} 7,{ht_IronSmithy} 8,{ht_Marketplace} 6,{ht_Metallurgists} 5,{ht_Mill} 5,{ht_Quary} 6,{ht_Sawmill} 8,{ht_School} 5,{ht_SiegeWorkshop} 9,{ht_Stables} 8,{ht_Store} 8,{ht_Swine} 5,{ht_Tannery} 9,{ht_TownHall} 4,{ht_WatchTower} 6,{ht_WeaponSmithy} 6,{ht_WeaponWorkshop} 5,{ht_Wineyard} 5 {ht_Woodcutters}

For me even is house has more tiles to build, builders will block himself even when i.e 6 builders will build one quarry, they will always blok each other, so 5 is max for me to build this. So they will work more efficient if they will have some free tiles to avoid each other instead bloking.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 07 Oct 2012, 20:45

Yes, that would be best. :)

My numbers are based on building cost (and therefore the time it takes to build them). 7 for fisherman is fine with me although it would be a bit strange because every other building that costs 4/3 will get 8 builders assigned to it.
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 07 Oct 2012, 21:50

Well I think your suggestion is good but I just couldn't help but notice your marktplace hate. ;)
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

marcin

Peasant

Post 08 Oct 2012, 20:33

Yes, that would be best. :)
This statement comes nice with ur avatar - really clear manifest ;p
Although i'm not experienced player +1 for ur nums.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 08 Oct 2012, 21:32

This statement comes nice with ur avatar - really clear manifest ;p
Although i'm not experienced player +1 for ur nums.
You might not know yet, but TDL is very well known for his marketplace hate. And a lot of jokes come up because of that fact :)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 08 Oct 2012, 22:13

Lol yeah, I can't even go to the supermarket without people saying things like 'OMG TDL USES MARKET!' or 'YOU BETTER TAKE SOME GOLD AND COAL WITH YOU, I HEARD THEY ARE GOOD VALUE!'
People laugh at me all the time, the community hates me... :(
Haha, I love it. :P

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”