Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Changes to market values in the RC

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 13 Oct 2012, 11:03

Re: Changes to market values in the RC

Also I have to mention that non market users might not necessarily be at a massive disadvantage , I have seen TDL create almost the same ammount of units and wares as most of us did(and I used some heavy marketing there) in a game we had late at night, cursed ravine I believe it was (the map name), so competing against the market is possible without the market itself if the resources are used in the right way (one more example of that is Revolution who is rather solid in his early and lategame with little market use).
Well I just watched the replay and quit after one hour to see the stats right after peace time. I had only 1939 wares produced, which was the least of everyone. Everyone else had between 2180 - 2500. I also had the least buildings (71) compared to everyone else (74-87). Strangely I DID have the most weapons at that time (123, others had 58-117). I also had by far the least villagers.
The reason my stats weren't as bad at the end of the game was because I kept building after peace time and eventually I had 15 farms, so I was catching up. I am capable of training some soldiers after peace time but it comes at a cost; this time I had starvations. The easy thing about the market is, if you make a mistake you can easily trade to make up for it. If I make a mistake I'm doomed.
Then again, it's hard to judge the matter by the looks of this game. It is also possible that I had least of everything because I had so little serfs and builders. That was my mistake, I forgot to train serfs now and then. :P But this is what I fear: if I make more builders and more serfs, I need more food. Thus I need more farms and more buildings. If I don't have enough timber to build all these buildings, I will have huge starvations everywhere and that wrecks your economy. Using more timber also means: less weapons. And once again: that's where the market kicks in. Next game I might try using 35 builders and 80 serfs like you all do, and then we'll see... :)
The game surprisingly lasted for 2 hours and 30 minutes, and at around the 1 hour 30miinutes I run out of coal completely (I actually stopped trading at 55 minutes into the game ) and as a result was forced to suffer with no gold, but thankfully i could trade iron for coal which was rather expensive, but shortly I run out of iron too and at this stage the I was suffering what I would call the after effects of the heavy market abuse that I did and luckily I had enough bread to trade for coal to keep producing Gold in order to keep training new units, this is just one scenario where one benefits from a market but is also punished later in the game, for every action there is a reaction.
Yes, on this map you don't have infinite resources so you will actually feel it if you trade. That's good for me, but it's not like this on every map; on several maps you can trade almost as much as you want.
<<

EDMatt

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 13 Oct 2012, 22:13

I actually use 100 serfs and 40 builders, sometimes even 110
Roses are red
violets are blue
I.G. is blessed
To be the BEST!!
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 19 Oct 2012, 13:58

Also I have to mention that non market users might not necessarily be at a massive disadvantage , I have seen TDL create almost the same ammount of units and wares as most of us did(and I used some heavy marketing there) in a game we had late at night, cursed ravine I believe it was (the map name), so competing against the market is possible without the market itself if the resources are used in the right way (one more example of that is Revolution who is rather solid in his early and lategame with little market use).
Well I just watched the replay and quit after one hour to see the stats right after peace time. I had only 1939 wares produced, which was the least of everyone. Everyone else had between 2180 - 2500. I also had the least buildings (71) compared to everyone else (74-87). Strangely I DID have the most weapons at that time (123, others had 58-117). I also had by far the least villagers.
The reason my stats weren't as bad at the end of the game was because I kept building after peace time and eventually I had 15 farms, so I was catching up. I am capable of training some soldiers after peace time but it comes at a cost; this time I had starvations. The easy thing about the market is, if you make a mistake you can easily trade to make up for it. If I make a mistake I'm doomed.
Then again, it's hard to judge the matter by the looks of this game. It is also possible that I had least of everything because I had so little serfs and builders. That was my mistake, I forgot to train serfs now and then. :P But this is what I fear: if I make more builders and more serfs, I need more food. Thus I need more farms and more buildings. If I don't have enough timber to build all these buildings, I will have huge starvations everywhere and that wrecks your economy. Using more timber also means: less weapons. And once again: that's where the market kicks in. Next game I might try using 35 builders and 80 serfs like you all do, and then we'll see... :)
The game surprisingly lasted for 2 hours and 30 minutes, and at around the 1 hour 30miinutes I run out of coal completely (I actually stopped trading at 55 minutes into the game ) and as a result was forced to suffer with no gold, but thankfully i could trade iron for coal which was rather expensive, but shortly I run out of iron too and at this stage the I was suffering what I would call the after effects of the heavy market abuse that I did and luckily I had enough bread to trade for coal to keep producing Gold in order to keep training new units, this is just one scenario where one benefits from a market but is also punished later in the game, for every action there is a reaction.
Yes, on this map you don't have infinite resources so you will actually feel it if you trade. That's good for me, but it's not like this on every map; on several maps you can trade almost as much as you want.

well i mostly build my town to last really long battles, i never use iron ( oh yes you read that right) so i trade that in the market for all kinds of stuff i need (logs, corn, food mostly raw materials since they are the cheapest), and since i do not need much coal mines i always have spare coal for me or to share with teammates. since i do leather only i will have a huge amount of sausages i can trade in the market for gold or if i run out of gold (3 sausages per gold ore i believe) and i still have spare coal to continue the growth of my army.

the downside? no powerfull units, so you have to compensate the lack of power in numbers greatly(especially against xbows), wich is very hard to do. but i still do not feel like using iron, too much trouble and space to get for a non infinite source.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

tover

Farmer

Post 25 Oct 2012, 16:56

as a player who's new to the remake and to mp i have to say playing a few games where i used the marketplace alot(mostly trading coal for wood) it really boosted my growthspeed to something i can not achieve without it.
the marketplace is def a nice crutch to lean on for someone like me who is new and will likely make several mistakes.

i do feel it is a little easy as the rate i can trade coal for lumber far outdoes what i can manage with my lumberjacks.not rly sure if the market is overperforming or the lumberjacks are underperforming on this one.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”