Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Chat sound effect

What should we do about the chat sound?

Use the new pop sound for everything
No votes
Use the new pop sound for everything
No votes
Use a slightly less loud version of the old "ta-da" for important things (player joined), and something quieter but still less modern than pop for chat (bell maybe?)
No votes
Use a slightly less loud version of the old "ta-da" for important things (player joined), and something quieter but still less modern than pop for chat (bell maybe?)
No votes
Use a slightly less loud version of the old "ta-da" for important things (player joined), and pop for chat
No votes
Use a slightly less loud version of the old "ta-da" for important things (player joined), and pop for chat
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 0
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 20 Aug 2012, 00:36

Chat sound effect

Some people commented that the chat sound in the Remake (r3392 and earlier) becomes annoying after hearing it over and over again (the "ta-da" sound you hear in the lobby each time someone sends a message). In the release candidate we used a new "pop" sound our sound guy sent us to see what people think. It's had mixed reception, some people like it because it's less intrusive but it doesn't fit as well in the game.

I was wondering if people had any thoughts about this, do you like the existing "ta-da" chat sound, and if not, what do you think it should be changed to? (the pop sound doesn't suit KaM very well and could be confused with other chat programs)
Personally I do quite like the "ta-da" sound, although I can see it might get annoying if you hear it over and over again if you play the Remake a lot. Maybe simply decreasing the volume of it slightly would help?
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 20 Aug 2012, 01:01

Re: Chat sound effect

I often play with headphones, and I often had to reduce the volume just because of that annoying chat sound.

The sound itself is really good, but it was way too loud compared to all the other sounds in the game, and it became really annoying.
Imo, the best solution would be to keep the same sound, but lower it quite a lot, so it is as loud as all the other sounds in the game (or even less loud, because we hear this a lot and it shouldn't be annoying).
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Aug 2012, 06:29

I liked the old sound (ta-da), because I could hear it well if someone joined my lobby or was chatting. I often do other things while I'm in a lobby and the sound makes me switch back to KaM Remake. The sound it has now is barely hearable, imo, and does not sound as good.
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Aug 2012, 07:00

Honestly I like the pop sound more than the ta da, especialy for chat. Like Shadaoe said, it's way too loud. It's also annoying when 2 players are having a happy chat hour, you're getting ta-da every 2 secs.
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 20 Aug 2012, 07:31

IMO, the ideal situation would be if the new sound ('pop') stayed as the main chat sound, but the old sound ('ta-da') would remain for join/quit events. Because join/quit events is when we need the loud sound the most (for example when sitting in lobby and browsing internet at the same time, waiting for more players to join).
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 20 Aug 2012, 07:54

I agree with sado. I mainly needed the sound when i was doing other things.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 20 Aug 2012, 18:41

I agree with Sado too, different sounds for people joining/leaving and chatting would be useful.
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Aug 2012, 18:55

I agree also.
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

Luki

Lance Carrier

Post 20 Aug 2012, 19:43

Same like others.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 20 Aug 2012, 19:47

I also agree with you all that agree with me. spaam : )
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 20 Aug 2012, 21:16

Trumpet sound: people joins or leaves lobby -> http://www.mediafire.com/?g6pv37xsbv4hapk
(lower) Ta-da!: people is chatting.

I dont like pop sound... its like one from nowadays Chat programs.
My link to mediafire is a type of sound I think would fit the game (can be another, but no pop bubbles please).
Last edited by Jeronimo on 21 Aug 2012, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 21 Aug 2012, 04:27

I dont like pop sound... its like one from nowadays Chat programs.
My link to mediafire is a type of sound I think would fit the game (can be another, but no pop bubbles please).
I have to agree that the pop/bubble sound doesn't suite KaM very well. Maybe just lowering the volume of the old sound would be enough, otherwise I could ask the guy who made the sound effects to try something less modern, but still less annoying than the old chat sound.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 21 Aug 2012, 06:43

Yes, lowering a bit and problem solved. :P
By the way, who could have complained about it? Why didnt he turn his volume a bit down?

All this thread for mr.? who has sensitive ears. :)
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 21 Aug 2012, 09:00

By the way, who could have complained about it? Why didnt he turn his volume a bit down? All this thread for mr.? who has sensitive ears. :)
Different sounds for game events and for chat. If someone joins the game/quits/whatever, the current event sound is played, when someone talks in chat, some other, new sound is played (I'd say the chat sound should be less intrusive than the current sound, usually join/quit events are much more important than chat events - they should be highlighted).
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 21 Aug 2012, 09:52

Yes, lowering a bit and problem solved. :P
By the way, who could have complained about it? Why didnt he turn his volume a bit down?

All this thread for mr.? who has sensitive ears. :)
Hmm, for exemple, I often had to reduce the volume of the whole game just not to hear the chat sound that loud, but all the other sounds in the game where unnoticeable if I reduced the volume ! (which is logical since the chat sound was way too loud)
So I don't think turning one's volume a bit down is a good solution to enjoy the game's sound at full capacity.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”