Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Unpopular Multiplayer Maps

<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 16 Aug 2012, 15:20

Re: Unpopular Multiplayer Maps

-Oasis Struggle- this map should be for 4 players, maybe 6 but not 8. Also poor resources( coal, iron)
I like this map, especially how there's not enough iron for second player in pair, and the simple layout as well. The big downside though, is lack of space. So, either this map should be resized or for 4 players only - I think the first option would be much better.
<<

Kridge

Crossbowman

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Aug 2012, 20:44

Could I make a suggestion here that is either genius or completely retarded?
Why not allow players to rank the maps themselves, in game, like favourite them or something? Or like catagorize them with a little selection screen that rolls down? One of those. Or maybe all. I do not know where you would put this, though. though.or just a option to hide maps. Simple small things like that, for the players own taste.

Now do not get me wrong here, I am not saying some maps, how do i say this politely, just suck... do think some maps should be removed, but if there is still a good reason to leave a well thought out, less popular map, the player can select the maps of its own taste.

Now tell me, am I retarded or a genius. Or just a talented brainstormer? That works for me XD

Enough of the funny stuff, what do you guys think?
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 18 Aug 2012, 20:59

Now tell me, am I retarded or a genius. Or just a talented brainstormer? That works for me XD
That last option in my opinion.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 18 Aug 2012, 21:01

Now tell me, am I retarded or a genius.
The latter. Brilliant idea, it's a wonder no one thought about it yet... definitely yes.
<<

Kridge

Crossbowman

Post 18 Aug 2012, 21:14

I love how you both only quote those two lines :p
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 19 Aug 2012, 01:51

We thought about a map voting/popularity system, but The Dark Lord and I were worried this would mean the very popular maps (like the top 10) would be the only ones people would play and new/less known maps which didn't have 5 stars wouldn't be played. I think this means some good maps could end up ignored as well as the bad ones.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 19 Aug 2012, 05:36

Yes, kind of like it happens in AppStore - if you got to Top10 in first week you are golden, if not - screwed..
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Kridge

Crossbowman

Post 19 Aug 2012, 11:04

I do not know if you fully understand that the player could rate the maps himself? So people could play the maps they like. Maybe a new map mark so they can look into those, but if you think about it. Most players only play the maps they like. The rest they dont play on. So whats the problem of making a ranking system for the player so he can favourite maps and find them quicker in a long list? Not community rating, but individual faving. That is what I mean. I see no harm in doing such a thing.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 19 Aug 2012, 11:53

Lewin, Krom - what Kridge meant, was NOT to implement voting system that would make EVERY player to have the same map list order. What he meant, is simply an option to "favourite" the map, so it will appear at the top of the list. ONLY for the player that favourited it. I hope it's clear now... (or I threaten you with my MSPaint skills!)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 20 Aug 2012, 18:48

Okay I understand the idea, but I'm not sure it's worth implementing. Wouldn't it be just as easy to remember the map? :P
<<

Bo_

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Aug 2012, 19:24

No the idea is good. But then a list of favourite maps that you see on the top. I don't think it would be too hard to implent and it's very useful. :)
Kick fast, think Bo.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 20 Aug 2012, 19:33

TDL, It would. However, I am lazy and impatient, I don't want to wait for the map list to be filled, then look for my favourite map. :)

I can't wait for Lewin/Krom to answer me: "It could be implemented, then. However, we're lazy and we won't" :mrgreen:
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 21 Aug 2012, 00:33

TDL, It would. However, I am lazy and impatient, I don't want to wait for the map list to be filled, then look for my favourite map. :)

I can't wait for Lewin/Krom to answer me: "It could be implemented, then. However, we're lazy and we won't" :mrgreen:
It could be implemented then. However we are giving up our spare time most days of the week to code the game so I think it's fair that we decide which features are implemented first, don't you? If you were paying us for the 3-4 hours to implement it then you can tell us what to do.

I think the idea of marking maps as a favourite so they go to the top of the list for you is a good idea, I'm adding it to the proposals list. But it's definitely not the most important thing on our todo list.

Don't under estimate how much work it takes to implement seemingly simple things. We need a way to display the favourites at the top of the list that fits in with our existing sorting algorithms. We need a little star icon to show which ones are your favourites. We need a way to store your list of favourites on disk (can't use .mi files because they're just a cache that is deleted when the map changes and people will complain if they lose their favourites when they update a map). We need a way to store whether our not a map is a favourite internally. We need a way for you to mark a map as a favourite in the interface.
It all adds up to quite a few hours work.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 21 Aug 2012, 08:55

Oh come one, that one was a joke, I'd never underestimate the work of a open source developer, you know, I'm using Linux after all... I'm really sorry you thought I was ordering you what to do, that's completely something I didn't mean to!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 22 Aug 2012, 01:19

Oh come one, that one was a joke, I'd never underestimate the work of a open source developer, you know, I'm using Linux after all... I'm really sorry you thought I was ordering you what to do, that's completely something I didn't mean to!
I'm sorry, that was a terrible misunderstanding by me :(
I wrote that message when I just woke up so I interpreted it completely wrong, that's my fault for going on the forum before breakfast :P

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”