Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Differences between remake and vanilla

<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Mar 2013, 12:08

Re: Differences between remake and vanilla

Maybe that was a difference in TSK TPR, I think I remember seeing how 2 serfs would deliver two wood to a School and one would walk till tile below entrance and give wood from there, an second would bump into first one and give wood diagonally after that.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 18 Mar 2013, 16:15

Maybe that was because the serf that arrived first, left later, so he knew that the serf to arrive second would already occupy the closest tile? Or is that not how it works?
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Mar 2013, 16:28

Maybe that was because the serf that arrived first, left later, so he knew that the serf to arrive second would already occupy the closest tile? Or is that not how it works?
Obviously not. That doesn't even make sense.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

FeyBart

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Mar 2013, 08:07

I don't really see why it doesn't.
Nice coffee is always nice.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 20 Mar 2013, 08:24

Nope, that happened in town tutorial when building first School. Please check if you have TSK, maybe my memory is wrong.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

xcruciusx

Serf

Post 05 Sep 2014, 15:31

It seems to me also that the campaign (I'm playing TSK) is incredibly hard, and downright impossible on some levels. I used the debug and saw that the computer players have thousands in resources they can use to build troops, while you have very limited quantities of rapidly depleting resources. Couple that with an AI that's very aggressive and quick to attack and you've got an almost impossible game to beat. I had to cheat on mission 8 and 12. I never played the original, so I can't compare, but this one is way too hard.

If I'm building my economy nicely to sustain an iron war machine in the future, I get destroyed before I can get that running. If I play to go for wooden weapons it still takes too long because the process for getting leather armors is complex, takes time to build, I still get destroyed. I'm not sure what can be done to fix this, but honestly, just a less aggressive AI would do wonders for me.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 05 Sep 2014, 15:36

It seems to me also that the campaign (I'm playing TSK) is incredibly hard, and downright impossible on some levels. I used the debug and saw that the computer players have thousands in resources they can use to build troops, while you have very limited quantities of rapidly depleting resources. Couple that with an AI that's very aggressive and quick to attack and you've got an almost impossible game to beat. I had to cheat on mission 8 and 12. I never played the original, so I can't compare, but this one is way too hard.

If I'm building my economy nicely to sustain an iron war machine in the future, I get destroyed before I can get that running. If I play to go for wooden weapons it still takes too long because the process for getting leather armors is complex, takes time to build, I still get destroyed. I'm not sure what can be done to fix this, but honestly, just a less aggressive AI would do wonders for me.
actually the missions ni the original KaM TSK missions were harder (yes if you went mass xbows it is easy, but that way every mission is easy in the original).

maybe you could post a replay in the strategy central forum and we can give some tips to help you get your economy on your feet faster and beat the missions.

*edit*

now that i am here, i noticed something for quite some time now. in the original kam the victory condition for winning a mission is destroying the barracks, school, storehouse and inn. in the remake the inn is not included. is there a reason for that?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

xcruciusx

Serf

Post 05 Sep 2014, 16:35

I don't know. What's obvious is that it doesn't work. The way I enjoy having my economy work is starting with 4 farms/mills/bakeries for bread and then setting the mining industry. It still goes too slow. I try to have 4 stonemasons, woodcutters and a couple sawmills to make building materials come fast, too. I do remember in the original playing until the fourth mission I think, and not being able to go past that, but I've managed to make it to mission 8 without cheating. I'm also like 10 years older now and much quicker, so I don't know. I know I play StarCraft much better these days than I did back then :D
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 05 Sep 2014, 16:39

I don't know. What's obvious is that it doesn't work. The way I enjoy having my economy work is starting with 4 farms/mills/bakeries for bread and then setting the mining industry. It still goes too slow. I try to have 4 stonemasons, woodcutters and a couple sawmills to make building materials come fast, too. I do remember in the original playing until the fourth mission I think, and not being able to go past that, but I've managed to make it to mission 8 without cheating. I'm also like 10 years older now and much quicker, so I don't know. I know I play StarCraft much better these days than I did back then :D

actually that start is not bad, but instead of mills and bakeries try to go swinefarms and butchers/tanneries and try to use a few builders ot make roads towards your mine while you set up those farms and stuff. this way you have leather production and good food (sausages restore 60% condition, bread 40%). this will mean that instead of iron or leather, you get iron ANd leather soldiers, incresing your total quality soldier output which means you have a better chance at attacking. also i recommend using 20 builders before the goldmine to speed up building. (no idea how many you use).
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

xcruciusx

Serf

Post 05 Sep 2014, 16:49

Around 12 at all times to be honest. Like on mission 11 for example, which I skipped, there's two huge camps. I set up my starting economy as fast as I can considering you start with one builder, so I let him build the school up quickly then start pumping out serfs and builders quick. Thing is you start with not a whole lot of gold, so you have to go for the mine on the right of your base quickly or you're screwed. It makes sense to go for leather quickly, but at the same time I see how the enemy attacks on this map, quickly and with iron soldiers, like tons of knights, crossbows and pikemen, and I feel like even if I'd built up my leather soldiers it would still not be enough to beat them back. Just a feeling I get. I might be wrong. I feel like the enemy is stupidly aggressive for this kind of game where you have to methodically build up an economy. At least I'd like a chance to tone that down. I don't mean remove it for everyone, I mean have the option to play the game a little slower. But meh that's me. I'll try going with leather now. I'll be here all day, not goin anywhere.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 05 Sep 2014, 16:59

well the ai was just as aggresive in the original game, and the developers want to stay as close to the original as possible. but try using 20 builders instead of 12, it helps you build a whole lot faster (even to gold, which means faster gold so you get your investment back) which is probably the crucial point of failure in the later misisons.

and if i renember correctly you only need to place blueprints for the gold and coalmines right? sorry my memory is a bit fuzzy.
<<

xcruciusx

Serf

Post 05 Sep 2014, 17:02

What, for gold? yeah. Then you need to build a mint or whatever it's called.
<<

xcruciusx

Serf

Post 05 Sep 2014, 17:27

It's like meat production is too slow, like my farmers can't accommodate for the needs of a pig farm. I'm guessing it's all a question of ratios which I don't have to be honest. Like how many fields per farm, how many farms per pig farm, etc.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 05 Sep 2014, 17:30

It's like meat production is too slow, like my farmers can't accommodate for the needs of a pig farm. I'm guessing it's all a question of ratios which I don't have to be honest. Like how many fields per farm, how many farms per pig farm, etc.
i can easily give you that, 1,5 farm per swinefarm/mill, 2 per stables, 15 fields per farm and they work best when placed directly under the farm. 1,5 sawmills for a weaponmaker, 2 woiodcutters per sawmill, all coal needing buildings = coalmines+1.

and for the goldsmelter, i would recommend placing it where a road already exists, then you can just focus on getting the weapons. if you really cannot beat it, i will make a few replays for you.

btw can a mod split these posts to strategy central?
<<

xcruciusx

Serf

Post 05 Sep 2014, 17:57

Nah. I give up. As soon as my economy gets going - and believe me, I'm going as fast as I can - the enemy attacks with knights. Can't do anything to stop it and I'm going to just quit. Thank you for your help anyway.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”