Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

A message to translators (any language)

<<

Vjeetn

Woodcutter

Post 09 Jun 2012, 11:21

A message to translators (any language)

Hi all,

I've joined the group of translators (Dutch in my case).

Today, I've already (re)translated several parts of the KaM remake website but noticed that some parts that were already translated aren't always 100% correct or read a bit awkward.
When translating (in any language), please make sure you read the entire block or paragraph of text so your translation matches the sentences in their context.

Translating word to word or even phrase to phrase doesn't always make an accurate translation.
Some parts/sentences are easily translated literally while others are rather challenging.

After translating a paragraph or block of text, please take the time to re-read (at least once) the whole subject to ensure your translation sounds good in the context of the subject.

Thank you.

I would also like to say that I was pleasantly surprised how much of the website has already been correctly translated (Dutch parts anyways).
Looks like those who went before me did a great job. Nice work guys!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 09 Jun 2012, 12:41

Re: A message to translators (any language)

Please remember that the translations are done by Google by default (when the squares appear orange after text), so they will read very unnaturally. Lines that were corrected by a person have green squares.

Here's the current statistics:
  Code:
nl has 1050 human translated phrases. fr has 710 human translated phrases. ru has 590 human translated phrases. zh has 337 human translated phrases. sk has 330 human translated phrases. pl has 308 human translated phrases. de has 250 human translated phrases. cs has 172 human translated phrases. bg has 150 human translated phrases. fi has 129 human translated phrases. pb has 120 human translated phrases. it has 48 human translated phrases. hu has 34 human translated phrases. pt has 25 human translated phrases. es has 22 human translated phrases. lt has 10 human translated phrases. tr has 4 human translated phrases.
NOTE: Dutch is much higher than other languages because a lot of the site was translated and then the system changed (the way it breaks text up into phrases was improved) so parts of the translation weren't used any more, but are still counted here. This means it appears higher even though some of those phrases aren't used. For example I believe French and Russian are complete translations, French suffered from the same thing Dutch did, but Russian did not because nobody volunteered to translate until the system was changed.
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

Vjeetn

Woodcutter

Post 09 Jun 2012, 14:01

Re: A message to translators (any language)

Thanks for the heads up. Yep, I do know it's been translated by Google and about the orange & green boxes but I did see a few errors in the ones that were already translated (green boxes) ;)

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”