Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Can't install > Access Violation?

<<

Vjeetn

Woodcutter

Post 08 Jun 2012, 08:14

Can't install > Access Violation?

Hi all,

I've bought the original KaM back when I was younger and now I found the KaM Remake which I'd love to see & try!
However, I can't install for some reason. Here is what the log says:
  Code:
Exception occured: EAccessViolation: Access violation at address 0047D668 in module 'KaM_Remake.exe'. Read of address 00000040
What does it mean or why am I seeing this?

Do I need to install in the same folder as the original game? Any hints?

Thanks!
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 08 Jun 2012, 09:25

Re: Can't install > Access Violation?

Hi,
It's not really possible to know why it crashed from that message, we need an automated crash report or the full log file or something. Can you post the full log file?

If you were running KaM_Remake.exe then it must be installed, so I guess you're having a problem when trying to start it? Make sure it is installed in a folder without anything else, don't install it in your KaM folder or something because the files will conflict.
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

Vjeetn

Woodcutter

Post 08 Jun 2012, 10:10

I've sent the log file (when it asks to send the report) twice now.

Yes, the problem arises when I try to start the game. Install went OK.
Hmm, maybe it will help to reinstall in a different dir. I'll give it a go and report back if it works.

Thanks ;)

EDIT: no use :(
I retried installing in C:/KaM Remake/ (standard path) but keep getting the error.

Running Win 7 32-bit on a Q6600 Quad-Core with 4GB RAM and 640MB GPU so that's definitely sufficient.

I REALLY hope this problem can be solved as I love KaM and want to try out this improved version.
Btw: I had the original CD but lost it :'( (regret it!) so I purchased the GOG.com version especially after reading the GOG version works with the remake.

EDIT: I also tried "Run as administrator" and compatibility mode "Windows XP SP3" but again, no luck :(

EDIT2: I installed in a virtual invironment (Win XP) and there it works (though very slow due to older OpenGL) so now my guess is it has something to do with my video card (GeForce 8800GTS-OC 640MB) or its drivers.
Or there are other applications installed / running that are conflicting with the KaM Remake.

I will be updating my drivers and hope it works. But if anyone else experienced this or knows a solution or what else I can check please reply.
I'm planning on getting a new PC somewhere soon so then I'll start with a fresh Win 7 install. I just hope I can get it to work ASAP! :)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 08 Jun 2012, 13:58

Thanks for the extra information, I checked the crash report that you sent in around 4 hours ago:

The crash appears to be a known bug in this release (which we've since fixed). It happens during start up if you don't have OpenAL installed (it is our sound library). Go to your KaM Remake folder and run oainst.exe and follow the installer prompted. Once OpenAL is installed hopefully it won't crash for you :)

Let us know how it goes!
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

Vjeetn

Woodcutter

Post 08 Jun 2012, 14:33

YES!! It's working :D
Thank you!

EDIT: hmm another problem arises. I set the screen res to 1920x1080 but when I try to put it back to a lower res (I tried 1280x1024) the game crashes.
I then restarted the game, tried a different res and now it seems to crash every time I change the res?
I've sent a report so you can take a look at it.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 08 Jun 2012, 14:57

The crash is something to do with the refresh rate... please make sure a correct refresh rate is selected before clicking apply. There might be bugs with our refresh rate selector, it was only added in this release and I guess not many people use it.
<<

Vjeetn

Woodcutter

Post 08 Jun 2012, 21:44

I see. Well, I now tried every refresh rate but I can't change it anymore as it now crashes every time I click apply.
Currently it's set to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz.
It's not a problem although I want to use a slightly smaller screen res due to the left menu in-game now being a bit tiny.
It'll work for now but it might be good to review the code for the next release.

Thanks again :)
I love the game btw! :mrgreen:
Too bad you guys can't take donations as I would be more than happy to support development by giving a small donation.

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”