Question about map editor/co-op

<<

godest

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 06 Jun 2012, 20:54

Question about map editor/co-op

Hello!

I decided to convert as many singelplayer maps to co-op as possible as a fun project. But im stuck on the first map in KaM. The problem is that after a successful change of the map and its units/scripts etc, when i run the map ingame the map is completly black (as if it cannot find the map itself) The minimap shows the map but apart from that it looks like they are fighting in space. In the mission editor the corresponing map to the .dat file is correct. So im not really sure what could case this. Lets say my mission is named "test", then test.map,test.dat, test.text and test.mi is located in KamRemake folder "MapsMP" in its own folder named "test". I did not use the built in editor but instead used the separate mission/world editor. I started with loading the map file from KAM-TPR from its mission folder. Everything looks fine in the editor, any help please :/?
A mage is never late - Gandalf
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 07 Jun 2012, 00:21

Re: Question about map editor/co-op

Hi!
What happens if you load your "test" mission in the KaM Remake map editor?
Also, can you post a screenshot of the game when running that map so I can see exactly what the problem looks like?
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

Piko

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 07 Jun 2012, 06:29

I don't know good what happen to you, but check is !SET_MAP correct.
ImageImage
<<

Post 07 Jun 2012, 07:47

Hi!
What happens if you load your "test" mission in the KaM Remake map editor?
Also, can you post a screenshot of the game when running that map so I can see exactly what the problem looks like?
Cheers,
Lewin.
Hi Lewin, thanks for answering :)
The map seems to be showing the same error in the built-in editor (black surface) Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in the built-in editor (same as when you run the map) http://picturepush.com/public/8434613
But i dont really understand the issue, since it seems good in both mission/world editors (the standalone version that is). My only guess is because i used a map from the Expansion and just edited that one and then saved and stored it in Kam Remake, but yet again should this really be an issue :S
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 07 Jun 2012, 07:48

Sorry for the double post, in my eager to answer i missed to log in :P
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 07 Jun 2012, 08:03

I fixed it Lewin thanks anyway for answering :) The problem was that i probably replaced some graphic file/sprite that made the map unable to render (probably when i played around with the editor in the wrong folder)

I just id a reinstall on it and now it works like a charm, cause i noticed that the problem was not only on the map i just made, silly me :P
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 07 Jun 2012, 10:37

I read in another thread that you can somehow add in the editor so that you have 2 human players. Im not really sure how to do that even after i read your insight on this Lewin. Since the new editor removes the script if you want to add 2 humans, should i build the map and do everything in the latest 0.9 editor and as a last effort set the humans in the 0.3 version? The reason i want 2 humans is so that i could alter building restrictions for both players and set center screen etc :)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 07 Jun 2012, 15:02

Glad to hear you fixed it. Yes both Krom's editor and the Remake use a folder called "resources" with the tileset of the game, but in slightly different formats I think. So if you put Krom's editor in the Remake folder it probably won't work.

My mission editor was designed for KaM TSK and TPR (I made it long before the Remake was started) where it was not possible to have 2 human players, that's why it's not supported. Unfortunately the code is in a mess and is kind of hard to recompile, and I'm not really interested in maintaining it.

So if you want to do anything not supported in 0.9 of my editor you'll have to add it afterwards in the script with e.g. 0.3 of my editor. But if you reopen it with 0.9 it will only load things it understands, and ignore or crash when there are things it doesn't understand like two human players.

When we finish the Remake map editor (probably not for some time) we aim to make it support a wide range of features and hopefully be even better than version 0.9 of my editor combined with Krom's map editor.
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 07 Jun 2012, 15:22

Ah yeah i see. Well the only problem (not really a problem more like annoying side effect) is that when you save and reopen and save again etc in the mission editor, the scripts for some reason copy themselfs so if you have a set of scripts, you will have 2x the scripts (its the same scripts just repeating the same). All i have to do when im finished is to remove all the extra, so its not really a major problem just annoying as i stated :P Iv already completed mission 1 and 2 for co-op 2 players. I intend to do all of the TSK missions co-op for 2 players. Im doing it for two reasons really, first me and my friend want some fun missions and why not play the entire camp together, and secondly i like to help out in some way :) Hopefully people will enjoy them. The sad part is that its pretty hard to balance test all by myself, but my design choice is sort of like this:

Split weapons/military goods over the two players instead of red having all at start ( like in singelplayer ). Secondly i increase the ai strengtyh slightly by giving a little bit more troops at start (on some maps) and increase their rate of attack etc.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 07 Jun 2012, 16:49

I'm not sure what you mean about the scripts copying 2x.

Another guy was planning to convert the campaign to coop, take a look at his thread. He doesn't seem to have been around for months. Maybe you could contact him and work together if he's still interested? But feel free to work on your own if you prefer, you could make a new topic and post the missions here as you make them :) I'm sure other people will help you test them. Once they're tested/balanced might include them in the Remake with your permission :) It would be awesome to have the entire campaign available as coop. I personally love games with coop mode because it's a whole new way of enjoying it with a friend/family member, and it seems to be fairly popular in the Remake even though we only have a few maps.

By the way, the easiest way to increase the power of AIs is by making them train soldiers faster. In KaM AIs only trained soldiers once every 100 seconds, but you can change this with the command:
!SET_AI_CHARACTER EQUIP_RATE 1000

The number is in game ticks, and there are 10 game ticks per second. So 1000 means 100 seconds, that's the default. If you wanted them to make a soldier every 5 seconds you'd set it to 50.
This is the trick I used in the coop missions included with the Remake.
Lewin.
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 07 Jun 2012, 17:02

Hehe yeah thanks for the tip. Actually got a lot of my questions answered by reading his questions and ur answers in that thread :) Would be nice to work together but i think for now im going solo. I have a lot of free time on my hand so i expect i will be able to finish it rather quickly.

Sounds like a good idea, i will make a thread and post them and hopefully some people test them and give valuable feedback, so that i can tweak them into perfection :)
And if you think they are good enough to be a part of the remake, i dont mind at all if you bundle them :)
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 07 Jun 2012, 21:48

By the way, the easiest way to increase the power of AIs is by making them train soldiers faster. In KaM AIs only trained soldiers once every 100 seconds, but you can change this with the command:
!SET_AI_CHARACTER EQUIP_RATE 1000

The number is in game ticks, and there are 10 game ticks per second. So 1000 means 100 seconds, that's the default. If you wanted them to make a soldier every 5 seconds you'd set it to 50.
This is the trick I used in the coop missions included with the Remake.
Lewin.
Humm do i have to use an older version of the editor to set that rate? cause in 0.9 it gets ignored and removed from the script when i add it. Or maybe im adding it at the wrong place? I tried adding it after the "player setup" where it sets current player etc. By the way, almost done with the 4th one now. il start a thread tomorrow and try to upload em for the public so anyone can test them :)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 08 Jun 2012, 03:09

Yeah that command was added in the remake so it's not supported in 0.9 of my editor. You have to add it by hand and it will be deleted if you resave with 0.9
<<

godest

Lance Carrier

Post 08 Jun 2012, 09:34

Thanks Lewin :) it helped!

Return to “Feedback / Discussion”