Re: Ben's KaM YouTube Channel

New shoutcast
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Sep 2016, 14:42

I've been making a recorded play through of The Dark Lord's campaign. It should be viewable by clicking on the following link, which will direct you to the playlist.
Enjoy
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7 ... C3pEqXepBQ
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 08 Sep 2016, 17:22

I've been making a recorded play through of The Dark Lord's campaign. It should be viewable by clicking on the following link, which will direct you to the playlist.
Enjoy
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7 ... C3pEqXepBQ
Hahaha I laughed my ass off when the entire green and black army came down upon you after scouting and you had to reset the game :P
I especially liked your reaction :P
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 10 Sep 2016, 15:19

Hey Ben! Thanks for the YouTube videos, it's always nice to see people play stuff you made. And I also like that you're not playing everything on high speed. Now let me react to some things you said in the videos or you were wondering about
- The first attack in mission 1 isn't bugged, although you broke it by killing a soldier just before the attack was launched (I should fix this). This caused a group of axe fighters to not join the battle and so the battlefield seemed more 'empty' and you killed the green army more quickly (my intention was that the black army starts its attack a little before green is dead). I did it this way because I really hate it when all soldiers attack at once and the battlefield is just a big traffic jam.
- Also about the first mission: you guessed correctly that I made the AI take revenge after you kill one of their soldiers to prevent the player from luring groups one by one and so destroy the entire idea behind the mission. It is unfortunate that this also happens after you try to sneak past the scouts and you lure them anyway.
- About the whole 'ally running out of food idea' in mission 3: for good players it will be easy, but not everyone is as skilled as you are and will need more time to build up an army sufficient enough to destroy the enemy (and the enemy does have quite a lot of troops). Furthermore, as your ally gains more and more militia, he will lose food more and more quickly. :)
- In mission 5 you were struggling with a group of bowmen on the cliff and wondering about the range/angle. The reason your bowmen didn't fire back is because the area was still unexplored. This was changed in the Remake quite a while ago and also applies to multiplayer!
- Mission 6: as you noticed one group of bowmen wasn't attacking. I'm not sure if this also happened in TPR (if I remember correctly I didn't really change much in this mission, so it shouldn't be that much easier), I should check it. I'm sorry you felt it was disappointing.
I also understand why you don't like the conventional 'build and destroy' missions, but hey, I warned you for that. :P

One more thing: do you think I should remove the 'Old English' and replace it with modern English? I'm not sure about this.

Thanks for putting up these videos, looking forward to seeing the rest of them.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 10 Sep 2016, 21:04

Hey Ben! Thanks for the YouTube videos, it's always nice to see people play stuff you made. And I also like that you're not playing everything on high speed.
I do not enjoy watching people play games at outrageous speed (and I don't need to tell you that I don't enjoy playing like this either ;)). However, I also don't like watching the player do nothing so I increase the speed when I'm waiting for weapons.
- The first attack in mission 1 isn't bugged, although you broke it by killing a soldier just before the attack was launched (I should fix this). This caused a group of axe fighters to not join the battle and so the battlefield seemed more 'empty' and you killed the green army more quickly (my intention was that the black army starts its attack a little before green is dead). I did it this way because I really hate it when all soldiers attack at once and the battlefield is just a big traffic jam.
Good idea. I noticed you did a similar technique a later mission. It was very nice to behold. Also shows that you care about your campaign to put such a good polish on it.
- In mission 5 you were struggling with a group of bowmen on the cliff and wondering about the range/angle. The reason your bowmen didn't fire back is because the area was still unexplored. This was changed in the Remake quite a while ago and also applies to multiplayer!
Wow! I didn't know that. :O Today I learned!

As for the old English, I believe it's fine to keep it that way. TNL is intended to be an unoffical exmapnsion of TSK, correct? If so, the Old English is appropriate. Besides, if you ever get someone to do voiced briefings, it will be just fine (perhaps you could ask To? He has a very good voice for this).
However may I ask why you use ye in place of the? You're not the only person that I've seen do this (Lewin I believe was the one other I saw use this, coincidence?) so I'm wondering where it comes from. I think I mentioned that I've read the King James version of the Bible. It uses ye a bit differently. For example:
But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
The word the is used just as it is in modern English. However, ye is used in place of you. (thou is also used sometimes, and I prefer this). Now, I'm not saying that this is the Bible and therefore we should follow this standard :lol: It's just the style I'm used to. I haven't read Shakespeare so I'm not familiar with other contexts of Victorian(?) English. I'd also like to mention that I'm asking you about this as a matter of curiosity. I'm not trying to teach/correct you ;)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 11 Sep 2016, 06:37

Hey don't worry about any criticism, I want TNL tot be perfect and that includes the briefings. They were actually 'translated' to old English by Lewin, so no coincidence there. I'll do soms research tot find out more about this whole 'ye' thing. :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Sep 2016, 06:45

Hey don't worry about any criticism, I want TNL tot be perfect and that includes the briefings. They were actually 'translated' to old English by Lewin, so no coincidence there. I'll do soms research tot find out more about this whole 'ye' thing. :)
As perfect as your spell checking? trololol

Also, having lots of difficulty with mission 11...if I keep all my restarts, the video will be 10 hours long as this rate :rolleyes:
Think I'll start the recording over and try again.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 11 Sep 2016, 08:51

Ugh. That's what happens when I try to post a message from my phone and I don't read it over at least two times...
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Sep 2016, 14:02

The typos looked like Dutch words. I suspected it was auto correct :D
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 11 Sep 2016, 14:35

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Feb 2017, 17:03

I actually know what this is referring to, even today. Learn something new everyday :)

Anyway, new video out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGfyc_1 ... e=youtu.be
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 08 Feb 2017, 19:35

And here I was hoping you had finally uploaded TNL 11. But no, it's just the worst player of all against koczis123456789101112
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Feb 2017, 23:25

:( The files for those replays are corrupted lol. Maybe someday I'll continue on mission 13
<<

LordAddy

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 09 Feb 2017, 09:18

Ben, I love those casts you're doing. Would you be willing to offer some of the replays for download? I used to play KaM as a kid and now I've discovered the remake. Being able to study closely the mechanics of the good players would help me a lot.

Is the game still alive, multiplayer-wise?
I see that there are only a few people posting regularly here, which seems to be a shame.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 11 Feb 2017, 17:00

Ben, I love those casts you're doing. Would you be willing to offer some of the replays for download? I used to play KaM as a kid and now I've discovered the remake. Being able to study closely the mechanics of the good players would help me a lot.

Is the game still alive, multiplayer-wise?
I see that there are only a few people posting regularly here, which seems to be a shame.
The game is still surprisingly popular in multiplayer, despite lack of recent Remake releases (which is the reason for lack of posts on the forums, most likely). I'm not sure whether you're looking for casual, "cheaty" gameplay like playing Bonus maps, or normal map lobbies - I don't follow public lobbies alot, but usually there were plenty of Bonus lobbies, and only a few low-skilled normal map lobbies, although if you want to see the best players, it would probably be best to join kamts.eu TeamSpeak server, and ask people to let you spectate our games. Our lobbies are usually passworded, and there is a tendency to kick unknown people (due to trolling and generally low level of an average unknown player; so it's usually needed to introduce yourself on TS first and there won't be a problem to get the password if there is space for spectators). On TS, just ask around on AFK channel, usually plenty of people there, or on wherever most of people are sitting at the time.

Return to “Game replays”