Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Walkthrough: The Shattered Kingdom in Remake r6720

<<

shunju

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 16 Jan 2015, 17:49

Walkthrough: The Shattered Kingdom in Remake r6720

After a long time of not playing Knights and Merchants (I've first played it when I was about 8 years old in 1999, then later played a few missions in the Remake r2736 almost three years ago) I have decided to install it on my newly setup notebook.

In a flash of nostalgia I went for the The Shattered Kingdom campaign. I had a few troubles with mission 7, 9 and 10 and was looking for some advice on how to do it, a let's play or a replay. I managed to find a walkthrough for mission 7 and (barely) made it through the mission, but I couldn't find anything for any of the later missions. So far, I've made it to mission 11 and wanted to go through the strategies that I have employed in the hopes that it may be helpful for other people also facing difficulties.

In general (and up until mission 11), I found that building a sound city in a quick pace is the key to victory. With the exception of those missions in which the enemy attacks you in the very beginning (mission 1, 5, 7 and 8 so far) it is perfectly possible to build an army capable of (at least) significantly diminishing the enemy troops before they attack you. And in mission 1, 7 and 8 it is at least possible to build that army before the enemy attacks the second time.

I obviously cannot go through all the missions at once, but for those who looking at least for a proof that the missions can be beaten in r6720 (I know that there are by far more challenging releases, but I go for the most recent one) and maybe subtle hints on how that is possible, I want to start by posting the replays of my playthrough up until mission 11. After I had decided to post the replays here, I looked through them and found that my building style is quite lacking in the first missions, at least until mission 7 (in which the enemy crushed my troops in their second attack). I have thus decided to play those missions again (recently finished mission 4). The second playthroughs are marked by an additional underscore after the mission name, and if someone wants to look for ways of improving their skills I strongly recommend to look there. I still leave the first playthroughs in because they show two things: 1) that it can be done with less skill and 2) some mistakes novices make.

In subsequent posts I will write about the particular missions. See you then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shunju on 18 Jan 2015, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 16 Jan 2015, 17:57

Re: Walkthrough: The Shattered Kingdom in Remake r6720

I see you're playing without my fixes and "improvements". Would you please try to test them? I need more people interested in TSK campaign. Fixes can be downloaded here: http://knightsandmerchants.net/forum/vi ... 414#p41395
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 18 Jan 2015, 07:07

Your attachment is password protected. What's the password? (Or just re-upload the archive.)

EDIT: Okay, thanks for uploading another copy.
Last edited by cmowla on 18 Jan 2015, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

shunju

Peasant

Post 18 Jan 2015, 07:51

I see you're playing without my fixes and "improvements". Would you please try to test them? I need more people interested in TSK campaign. Fixes can be downloaded here: http://knightsandmerchants.net/forum/vi ... 414#p41395
I have read about your fix collection before. I must confess that I assumed they were incorporated in the latest version of the Remake. Since I assume that you have at least proposed to do that, would you mind telling me why this has not happened (yet)?

I'll check your stuff out, but I probably won't be going through all of the missions I've done so far again. I can see the huge list of things that you've changed, but I'm unsure as to how they affect the game. Which of the missions 1 to 11 have been affected the most by your changes?
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 18 Jan 2015, 11:20

I have read about your fix collection before. I must confess that I assumed they were incorporated in the latest version of the Remake. Since I assume that you have at least proposed to do that, would you mind telling me why this has not happened (yet)?
It's because I started to work on fixes too late, so the reason why they're not added is because they need testing. There is not many people in this forum who want to play TSK campaign again, so I don't have enough testers. - Thats why I'm posting about my fixes everywhere someone mentions TSK.
I'll check your stuff out, but I probably won't be going through all of the missions I've done so far again. I can see the huge list of things that you've changed, but I'm unsure as to how they affect the game. Which of the missions 1 to 11 have been affected the most by your changes?
Surely mission one's initial attack has been noticeably impoved, same with first attack in mission 2. All missions are affected by my changes, I can't say which one is the most. :D
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

shunju

Peasant

Post 18 Jan 2015, 12:09

TSK: Mission 1 (Vatrix' version)

Probably one of the most memorable missions in the replay. When I play it now, I find it hard to believe how I sat on it and was fascinated by this mission for weeks and weeks, back when I was an elementary school student. One thing that has become easier in the Remake than in the original game is saving the left watchtower – a fact that was patched by Vatrix’ fixes with which I am playing at the moment. Since the units destroying buildings now fight back, they will leave the tower alone as soon as you attack them. So much for the foreword, here is what I would do (if you are not sure about something, you’ll probably see what I mean by watching the replay – this one is actually new and is with Vatrix’ version):

* Since the two groups of militia attack the lancemen in your town on their own, you only have to take care of the militia stationed east of your barracks. Select the troup leader (the one carrying the flag), split the group in two (you can hit the S key for that to make it quicker) and order them to attack axemen that are about to tear down your left tower. Then select the second group and have them help your axemen on the bridge. (Note that the tower is nice to have, but by no means necessary.) Then kill the rest of the enemies in your town.
* Meanwhile you can train a few additional laborers and start rebuilding your town. Take care that you don't order them to build anywhere near the enemy (should troops still be in your town).
* Train two woodcutters, two carpenters, rebuild the sawmill and build an additional woodcutter near the forest. If you plan to build close to existing woodcutters, it is advisable to set the woodcutter to fell only until you have set up all the layouts.
* Order the weapons workshop to make 11 longbows and train 20 recruits. Later you can have it produce axes, but be sure not to order too many weapons before you’ve set up the sawmill. If you want to keep building and produce weapons at a steady pace, I would recommend building another two woodcutters and a second sawmill.
* When your laborers are idle (because there are not many roads to construct and it takes a while till the wood reaches the construction sites) you can have them repair buildings one by one. But this is only a cosmetic issue with low priority as the enemy shouldn’t be able to enter your town a second time.
* As soon as you have about ten recruits, train bowmen in the barracks and position them on you side of the bridge. Place at least five militia in front of them. Also train a single bowmen (or split him from the group) to lure enemy troops to your encampment. I would recommend starting with the yellow lancemen. Repeat until they don’t replenish their lancemen anymore. All the while train more bowmen (you can only make 20, because you have no more armors and cannot produce any of them in this mission).
* When you feel you have enough bowmen (or have trained all 20), find the blue enemy in the west and lure the axemen to your growing town. Repeat that until blue runs out of men. Replenish your militia troops if you have to – yellow will attack with about 20 axemen shortly after your militia have grown hungry.
* Build up a food production (although if you are quick, you won’t need it) – at least one farm, mill and bakery and two vineyards.
* When your troops are fed, you can crush the blue storehouse although this does not have priority because they are no threat anymore as soon as their troops are gone (they won’t replenish them).
* Take two groups of militia (at least ten per squad) to the west where the blue enemy was. Place one group on the northern edge of the map, just above the dark green grass road. Place your bowmen either south of the yellow bowmen so they are just out of range (make them face south so they don’t attack yellow lance carriers that might show up) or west of the western stone mountains. Sneak up from behind the yellow bowmen with the other group and engage the bowmen. Once they have fallen, you will see yellow axemen engaging your militia squad. Give them cover fire with your bowmen and intercept the yellow bowmen (that will show up later) with your second militia squad. Once the soldiers are down, the town will be a piece of cake.
* Should you find yourself on the losing side, save your bowmen for you will not be able to train any more than 20. Repeat with new militia if you have to.

This is the first mission of the The Shattered Kingdom campaign. The campaign isn’t supposed to be hard and the first mission of it is rather hard to lose. Still, there are some things that you can actually learn in this mission, so you don’t make those mistakes in future missions:
* Don’t start producing weapons until you’ve either finished building your town or you have two wood production chains (the correct ratio for one being 2 woodcutters and 1 sawmill). One sawmill produces enough wood for approximately one weapons workshop.
* Don’t produce goods if you have a huge supply of them in your storehouse. In this mission there is no reason to produce stone, because you really have enough to begin with.
* Bread is a reliable source of nourishment for your people. In this mission, you cannot produce sausages (which are the best food), so wine gets an importance that it usually does not have. Build one farm, mill, bakery and two vineyards for about 60 people in your town. In later missions, if you produce enough sausages then you can stop caring about wine too much. It should be noted however that soldiers don’t care about their food – wine completely fills their endurance up again. So, if you have a lot of soldiers and experience a moderate famine, building vineyards might solve the issue in the long run.
* Don’t enter a battle without ranged units – they make a huge difference.
* Never attack ranged units (bowmen and crossbowmen) with your own ranged units – you’ll lose a substantial amount of your troops and replacing them is unreasonably expensive. Always try to kill bowmen with melee troops (like militia/axemen or better mounted units). Only if that is not possible and you outnumber your enemy at least 2:1 should you engage ranged with ranged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 18 Jan 2015, 19:32

Re: TSK: Mission 1 (Vatrix' version)

Probably one of the most memorable missions in the replay. When I play it now, I find it hard to believe how I sat on it and was fascinated by this mission for weeks and weeks, back when I was an elementary school student. One thing that has become easier in the Remake than in the original game is saving the left watchtower – a fact that was patched by Vatrix’ fixes with which I am playing at the moment. Since the units destroying buildings now fight back, they will leave the tower alone as soon as you attack them. So much for the foreword, here is what I would do (if you are not sure about something, you’ll probably see what I mean by watching the replay – this one is actually new and is with Vatrix’ version):
I just played the beginning of TSK 01 in Knights and Merchants the Peasant's Rebellion (TPR)---without any patches---and the AI behaves the same. That is, if you attack them, they stop destroying the left tower. Since r5503 of the remake, at least, this has also been the case for the remake---if it has not always been the case. I do recall that with the original shattered kingdom version (TSK) that what you're saying does apply, however.
This is the first mission of the The Shattered Kingdom campaign. The campaign isn’t supposed to be hard and the first mission of it is rather hard to lose.
It's rather easy to lose when you don't continuously empty the AI's soldiers...I recall when I started playing that I didn't attack for so long that the yellow AI had soldiers stacking up directly north of the river. That's a lot of enemy troops for 20 bowmen, two watchtowers and militia.
Bread is a reliable source of nourishment for your people. In this mission, you cannot produce sausages (which are the best food), so wine gets an importance that it usually does not have.
Although you're suggested quantity of food buildings is more than enough to pass this mission (well, this mission can be passed without any building and without any bowmen), note that in the remake, the "fill level" wine has for villagers has been increased to 40%, I believe, and therefore it is only a little less filling than bread now.
Don’t enter a battle without ranged units – they make a huge difference.
It actually depends. If you are fighting a larger quantity of AI troops and you have predominately axefighters, swordfighters, scouts, and/or knights (troops with a shield), then sure. However, if you have militia, lancecarriers, and/or pikemen fighting a small army, the outcome of the battle can be the same or better if you don't use ranged units but rather surround the AI with your troops, attacking them from all directions. Troops without shields can easily be killed with your own ranged units.
Never attack ranged units (bowmen and crossbowmen) with your own ranged units – you’ll lose a substantial amount of your troops
If you send all of your ranged units into the range of the enemy and starting firing, then sure. However, if you draw/bring them to you using a single bowman--in a direction so that you will be able to fire at their backs--, and you turn your main group of bowmen away from them until they all become in range and THEN turn all of your bowmen around, you will tip the odds in your favor. (Attacking them from multiple directions also helps.)
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.

Return to “Game replays”