Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Review your Game Play

<<

Islar

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 11 Jul 2013, 20:55

Review your Game Play

I maked this topic because i think there had to come something where you can posted your replay and get a feedback from others so you can learn and will become better in future games.

So you can posted your replays here or give other some advise.

Here a replay from my. I think this was my best MP game ever. But who knows. Maybe someone can way better. :D
I am blue.
ReplayIslar1.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Jul 2013, 02:46

Re: Review your Game Play

Good game, Islar! :) This reminded me of my first good game online because I also went mass iron in that game.

Just a couple of tips: you went for too much timber too early on. Even in golden cliffs where timber is very dangerous, you don't need more than one woodcutter before you make a sawmill. Better to get your sawmill finished quickly so you can make a quick farm and goldmine. You ended up with way too much timber in your storehouse (40!). Don't be afraid to make an early weapons workshop around 35ish minutes into the game if you have extra timber. You can easily make a nice militia spam with this extra bonus. Keep an eye on your timber; though, because building is your main priority.

You also went for too much food. I've never played a game where I needed more than one bakery. You'd have to be playing on a very small location to not be able to support your city with only one bakery (plus sausage of course). Later on in the game you may choose to make an extra baker if you want food for your soldiers (which is rare). Instead of going for so much bread, make an extra swinefarm. The sausage makes good eating, and leather is a good addition to your army.

Finally, you blocked a goldmine with your barracks. Don't make a habit of that because you won't want to tear down a building if you need another mine.

Keep it up :)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

WollongongWolf

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Jul 2013, 11:33

Nice idea, though I'm not sure if I can give useful tips, still a bit nooby :P. Perhaps I better post a replay from myself of also a game I think went very well for me.

Comments: game with randoms (so 70pt, speed 2x/1,5x i think) (again people thinking pawel's boats got implemented). We decided to split the assault in 2 teams on each side (map= The Cracked Land). Still I probably made many mistakes, but they are hard to find for me :P.

(also getting standard question from me: how hard/easy/balanced was my location/map, I assume it was a very easy loc compared to others since I went well xD)

owh and can you change replay names? Not sure if something is changed in the files then, and as I forgot to save, I used the autosave.

(and funny to see how randoms barely care about sausages and leather, or is that just me?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Jul 2013, 14:21

I looked at both replays.

@Islar:
Well, well, well. Why did you build 2 immediate stonemasons? If you built a woodcutter first, your sawmill could have been much faster so you could have got a faster iron mine as well :P And you should have built a connecting road from your iron mines north to your iron weapon production, between the stone and gold (diagonal road, but should work). And I expected you to go no leather but knights as well :c Good job tho. :)

@WollongongWolf:
Your main problem was your way too late wooden weapon production (and of course maintaining wood in "early" minutes, you should have at least 5 working woodcutters before you go for iron, so you can do it "immediately" one by one). If you did it on time, you could have got 40-50 more militia. And trading wooden weapons to food is more worthy than timber ---> food :D Also, you'd need 20 less serfs (if not less). And from what I have seen, your archer micro is not the best :p Why didn't you use a shield for your archers (draw archer attention with swords/knights, go closer with your archers and get free kills)? You had 30+ swords. If you did, you would have lost much much less archers there.

P.S.: I was rolling on the floor when I looked at browaar's forechecking xD Dem free kills LOL
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

Smogon

Militia

Post 16 Jul 2013, 10:38

Hello,

After some testing and research, I came up with a new build.
Food is very good with this build.
This is not a rushbuild and can be performed on almost every map.
Few mistakes were made which costs me around 20 weapons.
I reached 60 bowmen 30 swordmen and 25 militia so far on other map. But not even near enough recruits.

Please some feedback :)
Last edited by Smogon on 16 Jul 2013, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Crossbows will DOMINATE once again!
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

Post 16 Jul 2013, 12:08

Hello,

After some testing and research, I came up with a new build.
Food is very good with this build.
This is not a rushbuild and can be performed on almost every map.
Few mistakes were made which costs me around 20 weapons.
I reached 60 bowmen 30 swordmen and 25 militia so far on other maps.

Please some feedback :)
Ok, here we go:

+ small build (very effecient, needs less serfs/laborers and no traffic jams).
+ nice expension with woodcutters early on.
+ leather production up before 40 mins (which is fast)
+ a 3rd goldsmelter near pt (for enough recruits) but location was very poor (better place it near your barracks next time)

- I couldnt discover any new elements in this build order at all (just a delay in farms/gold because of the extra woodcutters).
- is a 5th quarry really needed from start?
- this is a typical rushbuild for sure since right after pt there was starvation (only 1 foodtype eaten (since your fish should be depleted before pt) in only 1 inn)
- because you ''stole'' fish from location 4.
- 3 pigfarms on 5 farms is ok but 3 armory workshops is too much (3rd one didnt do much)
- 7 woodcutters on 4 sawmills is too few and 4 weapon makers is too many (even if you decide to not build anything after pt).
- no towers were up in time.
- last but not least, your iron weapon production came late so not enough iron troops in the end.

As we all know loc 3 has the most trees of all locs on Golden Cliffs, so I like to see this build on lets say location 6 or 4, still I like this buildorder since it reminds me of Fu's early experiments. I hope this is enough feedback for you and I like to see some more builds like this here.
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)
<<

Smogon

Militia

Post 16 Jul 2013, 12:17

Thanks for the feedback To.
Currently I'm trying to do some fixing in the build, I thought about one baker 10 mins before PT. And the timber at the end killed me and couldn't get enough production anymore.

I'll keep you updated :)

Edit: I just did a game on The torn empire but lacked in gold and after PT my city was starting to starve, I think I need to do some more testing and I hope an early baker fixes this problem.
Last edited by Smogon on 17 Jul 2013, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 16 Jul 2013, 12:39

Completing To's feedback:
- You have placed your barracks very badly.
- Your timber production was kind of weak, which would cost you the game (you won't have a good production after pt) if you lost the first, big battle.
- Your weapons workshops came up very late.
- You didn't do like anything in the last 5-6 minutes, you could have expanded to more farms, pigfarms, or build towers :D
- You had some overproduction of corn, and your farms weren't that efficient (if they were, you could have a mill and a baker up, running well, way before pt's end).
- You ran your second weapon smithy too long, you had a bit of overproduction of swords which's price could have been "spent" on armors and shields --> 2-3 more swordfighters.

I liked it tho. Good job :)

And idd, loc3 on GC has the most trees (of all locs on the map, and more than on most maps, maybe MW loc6 and Wilderness loc3's wood is easier).

P.S.: 41 less weapons than you promised :c

<<

Smogon

Militia

Post 16 Jul 2013, 12:52

thanks Bence,
the reason I quit building is because I didn't want to lack my wooden weapons.
Maybe I should try 10 woodcutters and 6 farms+mill. From the games I did with this build, I had 50% succes rate on recruits and good economy, but the leather is always 50+ so far which I can't complain about :P
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 16 Jul 2013, 13:09

You don't need a 6th farm just to be able to afford a mill ;) 5 efficient ones should be enough.
And yeah, with 10 woodcutters you could get more axes and/or bows ;)

A tip: if you have kind of many leather armors and not enough swordfighters, you can make some wooden shields so you will have axefighters.

<<

Smogon

Militia

Post 16 Jul 2013, 13:17

Bence, genius with the wooden shields :) maybe I can create mix of bowmen/axefighters since mass bowmen are not that effective on small battlefields. I'll try the early mill next game I play. Maybe Bence can join? :)
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 16 Jul 2013, 14:14

I reached 60 bowmen 30 swordmen and 25 militia so far on other maps.)
I've never seen anyone do that, I request a replay. :)
<<

Smogon

Militia

Post 16 Jul 2013, 14:26

I reached 60 bowmen 30 swordmen and 25 militia so far on other maps.)
I've never seen anyone do that, I request a replay. :)
I cannot show that replay sorry, but the weapons don't have to be in the barracks ;)
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 16 Jul 2013, 14:52

They have to be, and you also need 115 recruits :D Otherwise it is just about weapons.

<<

Smogon

Militia

Post 16 Jul 2013, 15:03

They have to be, and you also need 115 recruits :D Otherwise it is just about weapons.
I only had around 60 recruits but I'm trying to seek a stable build in economy/weapons/recruits. But alot needs changing still.

Return to “Game replays”