Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Register  •  Login

Official KaM Remake Ideas topic

<<

Ben

User avatar

Prince Lothar

Posts: 3801

Joined: 08 Jan 2009, 23:00

Location: United States of America GMT-5 (Standard Time)

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Nov 2011, 20:56

Yes, that is exactly what I mean :wink:

This would also remove some of the time between the "tree harvests" so one doesn't periodically run out of wood.
#thunderposting #greentornado
<<

The Dark Lord

User avatar

King Karolus Servant

Posts: 2152

Joined: 29 Aug 2007, 22:00

Location: In his dark thunderstormy castle

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 12 Nov 2011, 21:01

Yes, I don't see why a woodcutter wouldn't plant more trees when his shed is filled with trees.

Something else: as the number of multiplayer maps will only increase, it might be useful to have them in lists (firstly sorted on building/fighting, then on number of players?).
<<

Danjb

User avatar

Sword Fighter

Posts: 288

Joined: 14 May 2007, 22:00

Post 12 Nov 2011, 21:41

The Dark Lord wrote:Something else: as the number of multiplayer maps will only increase, it might be useful to have them in lists (firstly sorted on building/fighting, then on number of players?).


Good idea. I've not looked at all of the multiplayer maps myself, but do they conform to some sort of standard? It occurs to me that we should perhaps come up with some requirements / guidelines if all maps are to be accepted into the remake, or do you currently hand-pick the best ones?
<<

Lewin

User avatar

KaM Remake Developer

Posts: 3821

Joined: 16 Sep 2007, 22:00

Location: Australia

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 13 Nov 2011, 00:23

Ben wrote:P.S., when do you think the next demo will be released? I want to know how much time I have to finish my maps.

Hopefully within a month, maybe 3-4 weeks.

Ben wrote:However, I have come up with a little idea. I'm not sure what I think of it yet, has anyone else been annoyed when their wood cutter is sitting around doing nothing when he has 5 tree trunks in his house? Well maybe not if he was watching trees grow, but what if he had already cut all the trees down?
My point: what if farmers and woodcutters continued planting their crops even when they reach an overload of resources?
I think that, maybe, we could do a poll on this?

Added to the bugs list, thanks. The reason this happens is basically because workers won't try to work when their output is full, but of course we can have a special case for farmers and woodcutters.

Ben wrote:This would also remove some of the time between the "tree harvests" so one doesn't periodically run out of wood.

We've made the woodcutter now plant and chop at the same time, but if there are a lot of trees available (>8 ) he will always chop. This means when you place a new woodcutter in a forest you will still get the surge of wood at the start, but after some time he will settle down to a fairly continuous wood output. There are no longer such distinct "planting" and "harvesting" times, he'll do both most of the time.
Because this means you can't rely on your woodcutter to clear an area, we will add a checkbox to his house "[x] Plant trees" so you can chose whether you want him to plant or not. We've discussed it and this is the best solution we thought of. Greater control than this (e.g. someone suggested a slider between planting and chopping) would be pointless, because it's not really possible to increase the efficiency, this feature is JUST intended to let you clear areas if you want. Let me know what you think.

The Dark Lord wrote:Something else: as the number of multiplayer maps will only increase, it might be useful to have them in lists (firstly sorted on building/fighting, then on number of players?).

Yes, we'll at least have section for "fighting", "building", "coop" but we might even need to extend this further eventually... However I don't think this is a priority so for now it can stay as is. But I added it to the features list. Maybe you can implement it Danjb? :)

Danjb wrote:Good idea. I've not looked at all of the multiplayer maps myself, but do they conform to some sort of standard? It occurs to me that we should perhaps come up with some requirements / guidelines if all maps are to be accepted into the remake, or do you currently hand-pick the best ones?

LOL well the current guidelines/standard is basically: "Does Lewin think it looks good?" :P I've seen a fair few missions after running my site for this long so I know the difference between a good map and a bad map, but if someone disagrees with a decision I make please discuss it with me. Also note that just because we have all of these maps currently, it does not mean they will always all be included. I mean when we have 100s or 1000s we can start making "map packs" instead so the installer doesn't have 100MB just for additional maps :P
Cheers,
Lewin.
<<

Ben

User avatar

Prince Lothar

Posts: 3801

Joined: 08 Jan 2009, 23:00

Location: United States of America GMT-5 (Standard Time)

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 13 Nov 2011, 03:53

Lewin wrote:We've made the woodcutter now plant and chop at the same time, but if there are a lot of trees available (>8 ) he will always chop. This means when you place a new woodcutter in a forest you will still get the surge of wood at the start, but after some time he will settle down to a fairly continuous wood output. There are no longer such distinct "planting" and "harvesting" times, he'll do both most of the time.

Yet another game enhancing feature. Didn't notice this one. Thanks for that.

Lewin wrote:Because this means you can't rely on your woodcutter to clear an area, we will add a checkbox to his house "[x] Plant trees" so you can chose whether you want him to plant or not. We've discussed it and this is the best solution we thought of. Greater control than this (e.g. someone suggested a slider between planting and chopping) would be pointless, because it's not really possible to increase the efficiency, this feature is JUST intended to let you clear areas if you want. Let me know what you think.

I agree with this 100%. I often find that in the latter parts of the game, my previously secluded woodcutter's become engulfed by my expanding village. By this time, I like building a tannery or a mill in its place. It is really annoying; then, when there are several trees that don't get cut because he keeps on planting.

Lewin wrote:I mean when we have 100s or 1000s we can start making "map packs" instead so the installer doesn't have 100MB just for additional maps
The day when KaM has thousands of maps...whew. Well i never dreamed of the day there would be 100 on your site. It could happen, but only time will tell.

I wonder what will become of this project after we all age and die? Will it continue? Will it be--as horrible as it sounds-- forgotten?
Forgive me. I'm just musing again :P
#thunderposting #greentornado
<<

Lewin

User avatar

KaM Remake Developer

Posts: 3821

Joined: 16 Sep 2007, 22:00

Location: Australia

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 13 Nov 2011, 04:38

Ben wrote:The day when KaM has thousands of maps...whew. Well i never dreamed of the day there would be 100 on your site. It could happen, but only time will tell.

I wonder what will become of this project after we all age and die? Will it continue? Will it be--as horrible as it sounds-- forgotten?
Forgive me. I'm just musing again :P

Once we have the built in map editor working I think there will be a lot of people making maps, mind you a lot of them probably won't be worth playing :P
When I made my mission editor graphical the number of missions because made soared and now we're over 100. So I think we'll see a lot more maps in the future, and with file transfer of multiplayer maps you can just go online and play your new map with people :)

No of course it won't be forgotten! We'll inspire a whole new generation of KaM fans :P
Everyone has to get their kids into playing KaM when/if we have them, and pass on our respective skills :P
Deal? :lol:
<<

Ben

User avatar

Prince Lothar

Posts: 3801

Joined: 08 Jan 2009, 23:00

Location: United States of America GMT-5 (Standard Time)

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 13 Nov 2011, 04:47

You're smiling a lot there Lewin :)

I don't want to get married, but if I do 9and have kids for that matter) than I will inevitably introduce them to KaM....Remake! :D
#thunderposting #greentornado
<<

Lewin

User avatar

KaM Remake Developer

Posts: 3821

Joined: 16 Sep 2007, 22:00

Location: Australia

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 13 Nov 2011, 04:56

I don't know whether I want to get married and/or have kids, certainly not until I'm much, much older!
But of course if I did I'd show them KaM, it's was my favourite childhood game and my whole family was quite obsessed with it for a few years :P Every kid should have it.
Anyway we've gone a bit off topic here, so lets get back to ideas.
<<

The Dark Lord

User avatar

King Karolus Servant

Posts: 2152

Joined: 29 Aug 2007, 22:00

Location: In his dark thunderstormy castle

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 13 Nov 2011, 10:56

I'll teach The Dark Lord Jr. to make some maps. :wink:

Because this means you can't rely on your woodcutter to clear an area, we will add a checkbox to his house "[x] Plant trees" so you can chose whether you want him to plant or not. We've discussed it and this is the best solution we thought of. Greater control than this (e.g. someone suggested a slider between planting and chopping) would be pointless, because it's not really possible to increase the efficiency, this feature is JUST intended to let you clear areas if you want. Let me know what you think.


I thought the checkbox was a declined idea. I don't really mind but is it more efficient than first cutting all trees and then planting new trees?
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Posts: 576

Joined: 13 Sep 2011, 22:00

Location: The Netherlands

Post 13 Nov 2011, 11:30

1: Who is TDL Jr.?

2: Thank you, I couldn't find that post but I knew it was somewhere.

3: If I get kids, they must learn to play KaM before I buy them any other games.
They would would learn gaming in this order: KaM>CIV>C&C>TES>FFTA.

This includes a lot of game genres.
KaM: realistic(sort of) time based medieval strategy with multiple resources for construction and unit training.
CIV(Civilizations): Turn based strategy and managing game.
C&C(Command and Conquer(ONLY red alert 1 and Tiberium wars): Single resource RTS Sci-fi like game with a (in my opinion)brilliant storyline.
TES(The Elder Scrolls): Solo real time RPG.
FFTA(Final Fantasy Tactics Advance): Turn based strategy in which you command a group of units.

Now some people wouldn't say KaM is realistic but I think KaM is one of the most realistic medieval games.
<<

The Dark Lord

User avatar

King Karolus Servant

Posts: 2152

Joined: 29 Aug 2007, 22:00

Location: In his dark thunderstormy castle

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 13 Nov 2011, 15:32

TDL Jr. doesn't excist, but who knows... One day... :P
Lets get back on topic though.
<<

Lewin

User avatar

KaM Remake Developer

Posts: 3821

Joined: 16 Sep 2007, 22:00

Location: Australia

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 13 Nov 2011, 20:04

The Dark Lord wrote:I thought the checkbox was a declined idea. I don't really mind but is it more efficient than first cutting all trees and then planting new trees?

It was declined, but it looks like it will be necessary because when the woodcutter plants and chops at the same time you might still want to use him to clear an area.
Yes it is a lot more efficient. In a smaller area shared with a few woodcutters he is working all of the time. With planting then chopping he fills up the area with planted trees and then stops for a while, but I've hardly seen this happen under the new system.
The other good thing about it is it means your wood production is more continuous rather than coming in bursts.
Do you think it's a good idea?
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Posts: 576

Joined: 13 Sep 2011, 22:00

Location: The Netherlands

Post 13 Nov 2011, 20:16

Coming in bursts is only a disadvantage in early game. After that you have your woodcutters working so that they fill the gaps between each others boosts.
<<

Danjb

User avatar

Sword Fighter

Posts: 288

Joined: 14 May 2007, 22:00

Post 13 Nov 2011, 20:51

Lewin wrote:Hopefully within a month, maybe 3-4 weeks.

Yay! ^^

Lewin wrote:There are no longer such distinct "planting" and "harvesting" times, he'll do both most of the time.
Because this means you can't rely on your woodcutter to clear an area, we will add a checkbox to his house "[x] Plant trees" so you can chose whether you want him to plant or not.

I think the best solution would be either this, or the ability to "mark" trees from the Woodcutter's hut (provided they're in the radius) if you want to clear an area (in which case he'd prioritize chopping marked trees over planting new ones).

Lewin wrote:Yes, we'll at least have section for "fighting", "building", "coop" but we might even need to extend this further eventually... However I don't think this is a priority so for now it can stay as is. But I added it to the features list. Maybe you can implement it Danjb? :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sorry I've been so busy, but I was just thinking of looking for a new job. I guess I can give this a go since the interface and menus are fast becoming my speciality :p

Lewin wrote:LOL well the current guidelines/standard is basically: "Does Lewin think it looks good?" :P I've seen a fair few missions after running my site for this long so I know the difference between a good map and a bad map, but if someone disagrees with a decision I make please discuss it with me.

Heh, that's fine by me. I trust your judgement :wink:

Lewin wrote:Once we have the built in map editor working I think there will be a lot of people making maps

I personally am really looking forward to a fully functional in-built editor. I'll be making them by the million!

Lewin wrote:No of course it won't be forgotten! We'll inspire a whole new generation of KaM fans :P
Everyone has to get their kids into playing KaM when/if we have them, and pass on our respective skills :P
Deal? :lol:

Absolutely! I think all the work you guys have put in means KaM is less likely to be forgotten now than ever before. It's a great revival of a great game! :D

My future kids are gonna be such rejects - everyone else will be playing all these new games and they'll be playing all my old favourites xD
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Posts: 576

Joined: 13 Sep 2011, 22:00

Location: The Netherlands

Post 13 Nov 2011, 21:06

The real person who could give good comments on (your) maps is The Dark Lord, I think he made the most and (in my opinion)best maps.
PreviousNext

Return to Ideas / Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron