Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Official KaM Remake Ideas topic

<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2011, 06:54

But if KaM is based on the dark medieval times then that should mean that there were walls.

Here is the deal:
In a map like Land of Hills there are 2or3 entrances to your base. The mountain isn't destroyable so, if there was a bigger map with more space in your base, then it would be kind of strange to have it open in all directions. So to avoid to have a totally open base you could build walls.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 11 Nov 2011, 08:38

I think KaM shouldn't have walls. It just doesn't fit the game, imo. That is, unless siege weapons are accepted. Have you ever seen someone tear down a wall with a battle axe, sword or pike? :P

But even if the walls would be well balanced in battle situations, I think it would cause a multiplayer game to last much, much longer. Even now I think the average multiplayer game takes 2 to 3 hours. Building walls will take very long (before having a useful wall, that is). Don't think that'll improve the game-play much.

@Lewin: I wasn't trying to teach you your own language :P I was just answering TDL's question :P Anyway, I still think it's funny :D

Now, I'd like to propose my own idea. I think I've told Lewin once before, but can't really remember. What about being able to split your labourers into teams (max. of 2?). So when you have 10 labourers, split them into two teams of 5.

I think that way you don't have TOO much control over them (they still do everything themselves), but it let's you build two different projects / buildings at the same time. Maybe even let team 1 build only roads / farmland / vineyard grape-thingies (don't know what's it called in English version), and team 2 build only houses :)

What do you guys think?

I'm now going to update the OP. If you think some things are in the wrong section, please feel free to notify me in this topic :)
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2011, 09:55

In middle ages, villages had really rarely walls, only big cities :wink:

Btw, I thought about a feature, Lewin added it on the todolist, it should be added to the first post too :p
On the minimap, you can see where is your "vision" with a square, would be cool to see the "vision squares" of your allies, to see where they look at, with a square of their colors :p

It's low priority, but that can be useful :wink:
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Nov 2011, 09:57

On the minimap, you can see where is your "vision" with a square, would be cool to see the "vision squares" of your allies, to see where they look at, with a square of their colors :p

It's low priority, but that can be useful :wink:
Before I add it to the OP, can you explain why that would be useful?

I wouldn't really care what my ally's looking at, and I also can't think of a reason I would find it useful.. But maybe you can explain and convince me :)
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2011, 10:09

If your ally is attacking and he forgot/didn't have time, to say it to you, you ccan see that he's looking at the same place for quite a long time, maybe you can help him/ we aware of what is happening !
Also, if he wants to point out a place, he can show you on which area it is (well flare can do this too).
This is a feature that is on AoE online, and I find it VERY useful for teamwork (and there is flare also in this game, so it can be useful for other things) :p You often have time when you don't do anything in kam, so you look around, you can also study where is your ally looking the most to see where he thinks there is a threat, it improves teamwork without the need of an additional vocal communication meaning :wink:
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Nov 2011, 10:11

If your ally is attacking and he forgot/didn't have time, to say it to you, you ccan see that he's looking at the same place for quite a long time, maybe you can help him/ we aware of what is happening !
Also, if he wants to point out a place, he can show you on which area it is (well flare can do this too).
This is a feature that is on AoE online, and I find it VERY useful for teamwork (and there is flare also in this game, so it can be useful for other things) :p You often have time when you don't do anything in kam, so you look around, you can also study where is your ally looking the most to see where he thinks there is a threat, it improves teamwork without the need of an additional vocal communication meaning :wink:
Hmm.. Maybe you're right. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt anyone implementing it. I'll add it to the list :)
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2011, 10:21

:p thanks !
<<

RiT4LiN

Blacksmith

Post 11 Nov 2011, 10:25

I think the "Ban player form Lobby" feature should be a "Ban IP from server". I made a launch script in java to start multiple server dynamically and I'd prefer it if I could ban players from all my server permanently.
<<

RiT4LiN

Blacksmith

Post 11 Nov 2011, 10:26

Also 2 players controlling the same village is called team melee in StarCraft. And its the best idea ever. Especially since it'll help against disconnects a little bit more. Imagine enjoying a 4v4 with 16 players :O
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2011, 11:36

Will there ever be a need to make a registered account for playing on the Remake? This would be useful since it would deter people from changing their name, which would allow people to quickly "screen out" the players who have been--annoying, shall we say?
Yes, I thought about that point for quite a while now, but still I'd hate to register an account with passwords and mails an so on. Also this does not improve the situation because it's easy to register a new account.

The best idea I've come up so far is the following:

The Remake should assign the player an ID that cannot be changed by hand. This ID should be displayed online if you click for details of a player.

The tricky point is the generation of the ID. I thought, that maybe it's useful to have KaM Remake read out the serial number of the mainboard and put it into a hash function like MD5 - and take that hash sum as ID.

But don't use MD5 because it's 32 digits long, take something shorter. Or maybe only the first 6 digits, converted to decimal or something like that And if you can't read the mainboard ID, maybe you could take something similar that cannot be changed that easy, for example the mac-adress of your primary network adapter.

This would guarantee that you can identify lame players without the need of looking into IP, independent of the nickname. Also, new installation of the Remake or even Windows would not affect the ID.

The only thing that would change your ID is changeing your PC. And if someone really takes that mean to circumvent an identifiaction, then it's worth it :wink:
<<

Encaitar

Lance Carrier

Post 11 Nov 2011, 11:52

About the walls discussion, I did have a quick thought:

What about making the building exist but not buildable by players? This way the map creators can create a map with defensive vs. attack map. One camp with defensive soldiers, the other with a sieging army (playercount: 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, etc). This could create some interesting new maps, without the 'adding extra gametime hours'. Of course the Siege Equipment has to be implemented, as it makes no sense if the soldiers could take down the walls with their weapons.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Nov 2011, 12:45

Yes, I thought about that point for quite a while now, but still I'd hate to register an account with passwords and mails an so on. Also this does not improve the situation because it's easy to register a new account.

The best idea I've come up so far is the following:

The Remake should assign the player an ID that cannot be changed by hand. This ID should be displayed online if you click for details of a player.

The tricky point is the generation of the ID. I thought, that maybe it's useful to have KaM Remake read out the serial number of the mainboard and put it into a hash function like MD5 - and take that hash sum as ID.

But don't use MD5 because it's 32 digits long, take something shorter. Or maybe only the first 6 digits, converted to decimal or something like that And if you can't read the mainboard ID, maybe you could take something similar that cannot be changed that easy, for example the mac-adress of your primary network adapter.

This would guarantee that you can identify lame players without the need of looking into IP, independent of the nickname. Also, new installation of the Remake or even Windows would not affect the ID.

The only thing that would change your ID is changeing your PC. And if someone really takes that mean to circumvent an identifiaction, then it's worth it
Huge communities like AoE use Registered accounts. Changing accounts changes your Identity. This alone might deter them.
Also, some people (like me) have access to several different computers. No, I don't think your idea is any better of a solution.
I know that Me, The Dark Lord, Krom, and others would NEVER want to give away our names. It is the only identity we have in the community, and I respect it enough to not abuse it.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2011, 13:56

Huge communities like AoE use Registered accounts. Changing accounts changes your Identity. This alone might deter them.
Yes, and who runs and maintains the server? Whos cares about security? We don't want to end up like Sony where some random hackers come by and steal all mail adresses. Online security is difficult to achieve. AoE have a huge company in the background and enough money to maintain such systems. KaM Remake does have neither of both.

Also, I don't like the idea to register once more. The many systems where you have to register and remind your password is already the pest of the internet.
Also, some people (like me) have access to several different computers. No, I don't think your idea is any better of a solution.
I don't think, too many players have to equal computers that they play with. Maybe we should start a poll?
I know that Me, The Dark Lord, Krom, and others would NEVER want to give away our names. It is the only identity we have in the community, and I respect it enough to not abuse it.
Yes, but this does not prevent others from abusing their (or even your) name. And if they only have to register a new account, then there is only a minimum barrier.

Let them even have 3 computers, which is rather unlikely. Then they can have 3 accounts. And if they abuse all three, there is no way to play without attracting attention unless they spend money to buy a new computer. This is a huge barrier.

If you only have to register an account then in the worst case you have to create a new mail account which takes you 20 seconds. So no effective barrier there.

The ID could even be enhanced when we implement new features: you could have your own blacklist with different levels (unknown/suspicious/critical) and have an automatic warning if a player of a certain level enters the lobby, so you are warned and can decide for yourself what to do.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Nov 2011, 14:13

Yes, and who runs and maintains the server? Whos cares about security? We don't want to end up like Sony where some random hackers come by and steal all mail adresses. Online security is difficult to achieve. AoE have a huge company in the background and enough money to maintain such systems. KaM Remake does have neither of both
I agree. There's absolutely no way we'll be able to guarantee a flawless user system.
Also, I don't like the idea to register once more. The many systems where you have to register and remind your password is already the pest of the internet.
That's why password vaults were invented.
I don't think, too many players have to equal computers that they play with. Maybe we should start a poll?
Players should be able to play from any system they wish.
Yes, but this does not prevent others from abusing their (or even your) name. And if they only have to register a new account, then there is only a minimum barrier.
This is true. Although it's not happening yet, it's just waiting for the first frustrated player that thinks: "Wouldn't it be awesome if I'd play under Lewin's name :lol:". There needs to be a way to protect player names. Right now, the only one I can think of is an account system.. :(
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 11 Nov 2011, 14:29

Players should be able to play from any system they wish.
They do.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”