Knight

Post 13 Nov 2011, 21:16

Yes you too.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 13 Nov 2011, 21:20

I think Lewin is doing just fine. If I would be the one selecting the maps, we'd have like 3 maps to play on LOL
Thanks for the compliments though. :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 13 Nov 2011, 22:18

Oh yeah, I didn't wasn't belittling Lewin's efforts. i was just making a humorous point. :wink:
And if I was the judge on which missions would be added, we would only have about 2 fan-made maps at this time. :roll:
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 14 Nov 2011, 02:46

Coming in bursts is only a disadvantage in early game. After that you have your woodcutters working so that they fill the gaps between each others boosts.
As far as I've seen it takes a fair while for them to balance out, and production is still often stopped because he is waiting for the trees to grow.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sorry I've been so busy, but I was just thinking of looking for a new job. I guess I can give this a go since the interface and menus are fast becoming my speciality :p
The menus/interfaces are a great place to start because it's all fairly easy to understand and there are lots of examples to work off. When I first joined the project I spent months duplicating all of the KaM interfaces (like the menus for units, houses, build, etc.) by taking screenshots, measuring the position of each control and writing it up. That was when Krom had only just made our custom controls library and menu systems. It was pretty tedious work but I built up confidence and eventually learnt the rest of the code. It's worth start small, but still with something that improves/helps the project :)
I think Lewin is doing just fine. If I would be the one selecting the maps, we'd have like 3 maps to play on LOL
Thanks for the compliments though. :)
The Dark Lord: "YOU PUT A PALM TREE ON A MAP THAT ALSO HAS FIR TREES!! :evil: YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR ETERNITY!"
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 14 Nov 2011, 07:37

@The Dark Lord:
I know it doesn't fit but I was a bit trolling and in that trolling spree I came up with the "Beach themed inn's, Aka Cocktail bars". Of course it looks ugly if you don't fill all locations.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 14 Nov 2011, 09:17

Haha, I just stated there was a palm tree among fir trees, I didn't complain did I?! :P
Yes it is a lot more efficient. In a smaller area shared with a few woodcutters he is working all of the time. With planting then chopping he fills up the area with planted trees and then stops for a while, but I've hardly seen this happen under the new system.
The other good thing about it is it means your wood production is more continuous rather than coming in bursts.
Do you think it's a good idea?
I'm not sure. If it is more efficient it means you need less woodcutters to provide your village with enough timber. Personally I've always been thinking it's quite a challenge to make sure your labourers can keep building. You always had to think "Hmmm, shall I make a few more axes or shall I save some timber for buildings?".
Also it kinda breaks the possible beginning strategies. Some people make a large amount of woodcutters and sawmills and others build other buildings first after they have 2 woodcutters and 1 sawmill. The people who build only few woodcutters/sawmills will be faster in the beginning, but the ones that make many might overtake them later. I fear this won't be the same.
Then again, it depends on how much the efficiency has increased and obviously I can't say much about that. Maybe it's just a minor change.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 14 Nov 2011, 09:31

Updated the start post 8)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 14 Nov 2011, 10:21

Haha, I just stated there was a palm tree among fir trees, I didn't complain did I?! :P
Yes it is a lot more efficient. In a smaller area shared with a few woodcutters he is working all of the time. With planting then chopping he fills up the area with planted trees and then stops for a while, but I've hardly seen this happen under the new system.
The other good thing about it is it means your wood production is more continuous rather than coming in bursts.
Do you think it's a good idea?
I'm not sure. If it is more efficient it means you need less woodcutters to provide your village with enough timber. Personally I've always been thinking it's quite a challenge to make sure your labourers can keep building. You always had to think "Hmmm, shall I make a few more axes or shall I save some timber for buildings?".
Also it kinda breaks the possible beginning strategies. Some people make a large amount of woodcutters and sawmills and others build other buildings first after they have 2 woodcutters and 1 sawmill. The people who build only few woodcutters/sawmills will be faster in the beginning, but the ones that make many might overtake them later. I fear this won't be the same.
Then again, it depends on how much the efficiency has increased and obviously I can't say much about that. Maybe it's just a minor change.
Just kidding :P

You've raised a good point but I think the increase in efficiency is small. The main thing it does is smooths out the production cycle so you always have wood being produced. But we shall see with testing it online, that's the best way to find out how well it works :)
If it doesn't fit we can always change it back, but I don't think it'll be an issue in this case.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 14 Nov 2011, 12:56

Hey I find not really a bug, but is an idea. I think there is a shortcut "D" or something. If you press this key, you will Lose...it is so often by me that i change the Tab?s in windows with "Win" +"D" and I loose often in the campaign, as you know I test the whole game :D

Can you maybe change the shortcut to an "Fx" key, maybe F12 or something, because I see the fixes of today, and the F5-F7 is now for the speed.
You aren´t a good player if you have a good PT-Army. You should be able to use it correctly!

You want cheap new Computergames? No problem, you will get them here: https://www.g2a.com/r/pawel95
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 14 Nov 2011, 13:03

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sorry I've been so busy, but I was just thinking of looking for a new job. I guess I can give this a go since the interface and menus are fast becoming my speciality :pxD
Can you implement the server name in the new lobby lay-out? :)

That would be nice, because then I can ask people to join server ## in the chat on kamremake.com

Now, I always forget what server I joined :P
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 14 Nov 2011, 13:50

ahh...and I?m not sure but I think, that the probability that the tower hits a person is lower than in the original KAM???
In TSK 8 I?m now and there are many situations that the tower shoot and the 5th stone hits the barbar! And the barbar is going slow! what?s about a horse? 20 stones?
You aren´t a good player if you have a good PT-Army. You should be able to use it correctly!

You want cheap new Computergames? No problem, you will get them here: https://www.g2a.com/r/pawel95
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 14 Nov 2011, 14:46

Hey I find not really a bug, but is an idea. I think there is a shortcut "D" or something. If you press this key, you will Lose...it is so often by me that i change the Tab?s in windows with "Win" +"D" and I loose often in the campaign, as you know I test the whole game :D

Can you maybe change the shortcut to an "Fx" key, maybe F12 or something, because I see the fixes of today, and the F5-F7 is now for the speed.
try w
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 14 Nov 2011, 14:46

This has been fixed already, thanks for reporting. This was a debugging cheat, it should not have been enabled unless debugging cheats were turned on.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sorry I've been so busy, but I was just thinking of looking for a new job. I guess I can give this a go since the interface and menus are fast becoming my speciality :pxD
Can you implement the server name in the new lobby lay-out? :)

That would be nice, because then I can ask people to join server ## in the chat on kamremake.com

Now, I always forget what server I joined :P
@Danjb: Yes that's a good idea, and something I forgot to mention to you in my message is that it would be nice to leave space for a preview of the map with player numbers at the starting positions. (we don't have this feature yet but it can be implemented) This would save a lot of confusion in multiplayer games.
ahh...and I?m not sure but I think, that the probability that the tower hits a person is lower than in the original KAM???
In TSK 8 I?m now and there are many situations that the tower shoot and the 5th stone hits the barbar! And the barbar is going slow! what?s about a horse? 20 stones?
Possibly. It's hard for us to make it the same. We will continue tweaking it after feedback, but I am fairly happy with the way it is now.
<<

Attyla

Laborer

Post 14 Nov 2011, 16:11

Danjb wrote
I think the best solution would be either this, or the ability to "mark" trees from the Woodcutter's hut (provided they're in the radius) if you want to clear an area (in which case he'd prioritize chopping marked trees over planting new ones).
In my opinnion it would be nice to mark tree to cut. Sometimes there is one tree which annoys me a lot becaouse destroys my plans (becaouse it is imprtant to build city in such a way that mill is cloes to farm, bakery to mill and so on).

Also I have an idea of new character for scouting. He would be trained at school and we would have control of where he goes. We could name him pathfinder, geographer or change name of scouts and have cavalary and heavy cavalary. He could look like woodcutter or recruit.
I know that it is something completly new but market encouraged me to write it. And also the fact that scouting with laborers looks stupid and is inefficient and building towers too. I hope that it wouldnt be lot of work to implemet it. (If this idea isnt stupid).
This should also make it easier for new people
I'm new here and IT MADE. Thank you T*AnTi-V!RuZz.
I would like propose even to split this topic and make one topic for any single idea within folder made from this topic.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”