Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Official KaM Remake Ideas topic

<<

Danjb

Sword Fighter

Post 18 Nov 2011, 10:54

There's something nice about placing each square to be built and hearing the satisfying thump sound of them being placed...
Heh, I know what you mean!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Nov 2011, 13:49

What about a "public chat" (perhaps it is called a shout box?) in the section where the lobby section is? This could be very useful for organizing games/lobbies inside the remake. The problem with this; though, is that it can be often be misused.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 19 Nov 2011, 00:09

Well I have no idea where we'd fit a chat screen on the multiplayer page, it's already packed :P We might add this eventually but I'm not sure it'd help very much. For now people can use windowed mode and the chat on the website.
<<

CuDi

Scout

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 19 Nov 2011, 04:30

Yeah I suggested that earlier. Would really come in handy late at night when you're looking for other players.
(BarbariansRule)
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Yahoo Messenger: garnuthorn

Post 19 Nov 2011, 04:46

Dangers of soldier attack commit, & something else

First time poster, enjoy K&M and appreciate the work on the Remake. Okay, I got that out of the way.

Should every unit in your army be committed to attacking any unit? Playing mission 3 of TSK, although I made mistakes with placement, I had a situation with having my scouts go after archers and have lances show up.

Since my scouts were busy slaying the archers, I didn't want them fighting the lances, but in the end they bit the big one from them.

The number of players out there probably get stuck in the same situation, the scouts, or even valuable knights, get stuck fighting lances, or worse, pikemen, and you have jack to do about it.

So perhaps this could be implemented: units could be withdrawn if they're engaged. It makes sense with mounted units as they retreat quickly, and even if you want your own lances or pikemen retreat and pump forth stronger units would be realistic.

One more thing, though. The mouse right-click-hold shortcut for facing troops a certain way seems to favor the cardinal directions and I find it lucky if I can pick a cross cardinal selection. My mouse is a trackball, so it technically should be easier to select the cross cardinal selection. Maybe this could be tweaked, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting Self---"Darkness isn't inherently evil, evil isn't inherently dark. What shall be and those involved omniversal may be righteous in their own perception, but then what of balance? When the powers that be of the 9 and the triad come together we shall see if we can coexist forthcoming."
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 19 Nov 2011, 08:50

Should every unit in your army be committed to attacking any unit? Playing mission 3 of TSK, although I made mistakes with placement, I had a situation with having my scouts go after archers and have lances show up.
Well this is one of the key ideas of Knights and Merchants: Once soldiers are in a battle they cannot be withdrawn which means that entering combat is a serious commitment. As this is a remake it should not be changed in my opinion, although maybe we could have some kind of way to withdraw the troops that are not yet fighting as an optional mod that can be enabled. If you could move troops out of combat at any time then the gameplay would be completely different and certainly not the same style as Knights and Merchants.
So this certainly won't be changed for the main game but it could be an optional mod I guess. It's not necessary in my opinion, if you think about the kind of tactics people would use online it just wouldn't be KaM any more.
One more thing, though. The mouse right-click-hold shortcut for facing troops a certain way seems to favor the cardinal directions and I find it lucky if I can pick a cross cardinal selection. My mouse is a trackball, so it technically should be easier to select the cross cardinal selection. Maybe this could be tweaked, too.
We've tried tweaking this many times but it's actually quite difficult. It works like this: The mouse cursor is made invisible and restricted to a square area around where you clicked. When it is in the corners it chooses the diagonal direction and when it is near the edges it chooses the non-diagonal directions. This gives it a tenancy to move towards the corners of the square when what we'd REALLY like to do is restrict the cursor to a circle not a square. There's no Windows API call to do that but I guess we could force the cursor back when it exceeds the circle radius... I'll see what I can do because I agree sometimes it's quite hard to select the direction you want.
Thanks for your post.
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 19 Nov 2011, 09:47

I'd call it the one for all and all for one rule in KaM.
Units in the same division or group will not just turn tail and run. If they find one of their fellow scouts in peril they come to his aid.
It could also be good as a "Loyalty" or "Honor" rule.

I also have another idea. Have Knights and Scouts have a specialty that is like charge, only instead of going straight ahead they just have their speed increased from 2x to 3x or 4x and afterwards they have their speed decreased to 1.5x or 1x.
<<

Yeti

Militia

Post 20 Nov 2011, 01:51

I have three items on my wish list for game improvements, and all involve serf control.

1) Whilst the "prevent delivery" button is nice, could a "prevent collection" button also be added?

2) In addition could buildings have a "prioritise" button, so serfs will carry out any labour required in a prioritised building before working on the unprioritised ones.

(Potentially buildings would need a "catchment area" to prevent serfs crossing the entire village to carry out the task.)

3) Ability to prevent items going to certain Storehouses. I always got the impression being able to click on the icons within Storehouses should do this, but I've never actually noticed this working in game.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 20 Nov 2011, 02:11

Clicking on the good you don't want in the storehouse does work ! But it can be long to empty the stock you had before blocking it.
<<

Yeti

Militia

Post 20 Nov 2011, 02:14

I've found when I've tested this before serfs still went and loaded up the storehouse with the goods I didn't want in there. However if it does work, particularly in the remake, then all is well.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 20 Nov 2011, 02:25

It might be because they were bringing the goods before your ordered it to be blocked in the storehouse, they finished their action :wink:
<<

Yeti

Militia

Post 20 Nov 2011, 02:28

No, I played games where with multiple Storehouses ticked off items in one Storehouse still managed to find their way into that Storehouse for the several hours the mission went on for. As said though this is something of a moot point in the Remake.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 20 Nov 2011, 03:53

No, I played games where with multiple Storehouses ticked off items in one Storehouse still managed to find their way into that Storehouse for the several hours the mission went on for. As said though this is something of a moot point in the Remake.
I've never seen this in KaM or the Remake.
There are a lot of optimisations we need to make to the delivery system including improving the way jobs are assigned and making serfs always takes wares out when they drop one off. (right now they only do it if no other serfs have claimed the job)
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 20 Nov 2011, 08:36

I'd say that priori buildings would mean a too direct control over the economy.
<<

Tkanica

Peasant

Post 20 Nov 2011, 12:05

Hi i suggest to change build tree, open all buildings on start can help speed up game and i think it dont harm game play.Thats allow early fights and who dont like them can be defended by peace time.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”