Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

KaM Remake Ideas!?

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 06 Nov 2011, 02:03

Everything suggested by pawel is planned except for country flags, (although we do plan to show country flags in the lobby) and the town hall which will be re-thought. We plan to eventually make gathering resources a goal.

I agree with T*AnTi-V!RuZz, there are some stupid ideas posted on this forum and emailed to us like:
- Weapons should be made 2 or 3 at once because the game is too slow
- Buildings should not require road to the built to them (not joking, we got an email which said this)
- Rebels should be trained from the school
- Barbarians should be equipped in the barracks
- People ask us to make new buildings like these which look stupid and tacky because anyone can see they are just chopped up from other buildings. (except the foresters hut of course, but I like the current woodcutter's hut)

I always feel then need to explain why these ideas aren't worthwhile which takes up time and can be frustrating.
That said, I do appreciate these discussions because I take good ideas out of them. But some ideas are just obviously stupid or only suitable for a mod.

While we're on the subject of things that annoy me, here's a list: :P

- People who ask "why aren't you writing it in C++ which is faster and superior to everything else" Answer: "Why don't YOU go write your own remake in whatever language you like, in fact, why not write it in machine code because that's pretty damn fast! Delphi is very efficient and fast and right now you are playing it online with 8 people from all over the world and it's working PERFECTLY. How would writing it in C++ improve it?"

- People who say "Pascal syntax is so ugly! How do you put up with that! C++ syntax is so much nicer to read." Answer: "I think C++ syntax is much uglier and harder to read because it's so obscure. This is a personal opinion, not a fact"

- People who overuse punctuation for no reason,,,,,,,,,, I find this really annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And what's the point anyway????!?!?!?!?!?! It doesn't make your point any clearer,,,,,,,,,,, it just annoys everyone!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!

- People who say: "Why did you remove the town hall/siege equipment and make the AI dumber?" Answer: "This is a REMAKE, we are writing the entire game engine from SCRATCH so not all features have been implemented yet." Some people seem to think we are editing the original source code and deleting things from it randomly...

- People who kick me or anyone else from a server based on their ping being >500ms. This game is playable with pings up to 3000ms, and you'll hardly notice the different in playing with someone will 400ms to 1000 ms, there will just be an extra 300ms (half of 600) delay from when you order a command to when it happens.

- When people make a suggestion and say "You should do this, you should change that". It would be much nicer if you said "In my opinion this should be changed" "What about doing this" rather than telling us what we "should" and "must" do. But I realise this can be partly because people don't know English well so I am understanding on this point.

- When people don't understand the amount of effort and skill it takes to develop a project like this, and think massive changes can be implemented in minutes.

- When I see 20 players on 1 server and 0 on the other 5... SPREAD THE LOAD!!! Otherwise you'll get lag and your game could even crash.

Things which don't annoy me:
- When people compliment our work before they point out flaws and making suggestions.
- All the wonderful people who have helped and encouraged us over the years
- When I join a server and someone says "Is it REALLY Lewin? :o" "Lewin is God!" "I want to be on Lewin's team because he's my hero!!" When this happens it makes up for everything in the other list :P
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 06 Nov 2011, 02:37

Haha, can I make a list of things that bug me?
Actually I think I already did somewhere else on the forum.
Anyway I was joking. I'm glad you posted this because I guilty of one of these. I remember saying that if Vegabonds are removed they "should" be moved to the barracks. Sorry about that.
When I see 20 players on 1 server and 0 on the other 5... SPREAD THE LOAD!!! Otherwise you'll get lag and your game could even crash.
So would an example be if every one of the "KaM sever from Natodia" or whatever are the onces being used an none others?
Forgive me, but I really don't know anything about servers.
People who overuse punctuation for no reason,,,,,,,,,, I find this really annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And what's the point anyway????!?!?!?!?!?! It doesn't make your point any clearer,,,,,,,,,,, it just annoys everyone!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!
I frequently use "..." For example I might say, "Oh no. i can't hold off all those knights. I'm done for..."
Does that bug you? I use it because I read it like the speaker is trailing off or something.
People who kick me or anyone else from a server based on their ping being >500ms. This game is playable with pings up to 3000ms, and you'll hardly notice the different in playing with someone will 400ms to 1000 ms, there will just be an extra 300ms (half of 600) delay from when you order a command to when it happens.
I share this compliant :P

And Lewin, you are my hero. But then again, so are all the others that have contributed. Let's not forget all the others who helped. Like on this topic: http://www.atfreeforum.com/knights/viewtopic.php?t=261&sid=05a33c8286ef0a3ce73c29729e238135&mforum=knights
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 06 Nov 2011, 04:51

Anyway I was joking. I'm glad you posted this because I guilty of one of these. I remember saying that if Vegabonds are removed they "should" be moved to the barracks. Sorry about that.
Don't worry, you still wrote it in a nice way. I'm more just complaining about people writing in a way that comes across as rude, but as I said this can happen when you don't know a language well. It also doesn't mean that saying "should" without "I think" or "in my opinion" is always rude.
So would an example be if every one of the "KaM sever from Natodia" or whatever are the onces being used an none others?
Forgive me, but I really don't know anything about servers.
Yeah I think this is because a lot of people don't understand how the servers work, so it's not actually your/their fault. Each server with a #1, #2, #3, etc. but the same name (e.g. Natodia, Jecy's, DioxidSoft.com) is actually only 1 server, and each # is a different room. As rooms are filled, the server opens new ones so there is always an empty room available. So it is still using up the bandwidth of one server if the name is the same. The best thing to do is join a server with only one room open (no other rooms taken) because then you will get its full bandwidth for just your game. (unless someone else joins a new room) Eventually I'll add a player limit to the servers (which the admins can choose based on the bandwidth they have) and the server will stop opening new rooms once the player limit is reached.
I frequently use "..." For example I might say, "Oh no. i can't hold off all those knights. I'm done for..."
Does that bug you? I use it because I read it like the speaker is trailing off or something.
No not at all, I do that too... I was really just talking about overusing ! and ?.
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 06 Nov 2011, 08:42

In that case, I'd say gather 100corn cause in winter the miller and baker were still working, only the farms weren't.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 06 Nov 2011, 09:44

When I join a server and someone says "Is it REALLY Lewin? :o" "Lewin is God!" "I want to be on Lewin's team because he's my hero!!" When this happens it makes up for everything in the other list :P
Next time when we play and I'm about to die I know how to treat you to make you spare me. :twisted:
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 06 Nov 2011, 10:06

I like reading through all ideas people post.
But I don't like many of them because of one reason:
they are only isolated ideas that often contradict the concept of KaM.

So I support T*AnTi-V!RuZz's advice: please think twice before you write down your idea.

One example was the idea of the checkbox for woodcutters. Nowhere in the entire game you find something similar than that. This would mean a direct control of your workers, and this is only restricted to weapon makers in KaM.

On the other hand, the idea of making your laborers is a good idea, because this just fits in. You always tell your laborers what to do, build a road or a house and they do whenever they have time. Demolishing your roads again would fit in - but in my opinion only if you make also the laborers demolish the houses (and not let them just disappear).

What I'm trying to say is, that you should - please - think of a whole concept instead of isolated ideas.

Try to make them fit to KaM. If you suggest the implementation of walls, then please think of a way to demolish them or to restrict the use to prevent excessive camping.

Thanks!
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 06 Nov 2011, 10:25

Maybe workers could build houses in reverse - effectively disassembling them to grounds 0
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 06 Nov 2011, 10:58

Or you just destroy the building immediately?

@Siegfried:
Siege weapons, siege weapons.
Also walls should cost at least 3stone per square and take about the equal amount of time to build as a farm.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 06 Nov 2011, 12:14

I just wanted to open one of my maps in the in-built map editor, but to recognise the map, the remake needs a script file. I made an empty .dat file, renamed it, and placed it in the appropiate directory. When checking the box 'multiplayer maps', I got a range check error and I couldn't select any multiplayer maps.
This is not a serious bug though because who on the world makes an empty script, but it would be nice if you could load maps without the need of a script file (like you just browse through your computer in search for map files). :wink:
<<

artanis

Laborer

Post 06 Nov 2011, 13:58

i want something new on campaign missions :D and F8 ruin the game this option must be remove then if frame rate improve bit more game will be more smoother
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 06 Nov 2011, 14:02

Why on earth do you think it should be removed? Nobody forces you to use it... -_-'
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 06 Nov 2011, 14:05

yeah, you first need to make one with the build in map editor and then overwrite the files.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 06 Nov 2011, 15:22

Yes

Yes, haha I think.. Let us discuss and discuss... :lol:

For example the stone walls....Ok its an idea, which I said....But I think...it is a not very bad idea, because in the Alpha Phase of the original KaM, the developers want to build walls, too.!!??!
You aren´t a good player if you have a good PT-Army. You should be able to use it correctly!

You want cheap new Computergames? No problem, you will get them here: https://www.g2a.com/r/pawel95
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 06 Nov 2011, 16:15

yes and the idea has been accepted already.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 06 Nov 2011, 16:59

Everything suggested by pawel is planned except for country flags, (although we do plan to show country flags in the lobby) and the town hall which will be re-thought. We plan to eventually make gathering resources a goal.

While we're on the subject of things that annoy me, here's a list: :P
Haha I appreciate your work very well Lewin. I pgroamm a few things, too.
But Im only 16 years old :? And I know how much work it is...to program new things. That?s the reason, why I say, that these are only IDEAS.
And because the flags...and that?s an idea, too.
Instead of the basic flag, with one color, maybe a country flag :D :D
I could realize it maybe...but I must think again, how I could implement it best.

Maybe here is a picture HAHAHA :D :D :

You aren´t a good player if you have a good PT-Army. You should be able to use it correctly!

You want cheap new Computergames? No problem, you will get them here: https://www.g2a.com/r/pawel95

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”