Team Colours?

<<

_Totengraeber_

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 10 Mar 2018, 21:54

Team Colours?

Hey!

i donno if anyone brought this up, but in I think that team colours could be a nice addition to the game. As some of colours are quiet similar so sometims its hard to tell whos units are approching. Aspecially when watching a game.
I donno if its possible to show each player his teammates one colour and the enemies in another. So it would be easier to recognise.
This should be optinal for sure as not all players will like it.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 11 Mar 2018, 12:08

Re: Team Colours?

I think it was suggested before, that the minimap should get a "team color mode", but it was not added to the game (yet?). About changing the units colors themselves, I'd say this could be a nice feature - I'd probably use it while streaming, since while commentating it's sometimes hard to tell who's fighting who (and I have to overuse the "t" button).

I'm guessing this needs to be a client-side option though, accessible through the in-game options menu. This way you'll be able to change it on-the-fly in case you need that; also, not everyone would like it, so we don't want to force it on every player with a lobby option.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Mar 2018, 16:52

I suggested it a while back. Krom liked the idea but it was never implemented.
I'm guessing this needs to be a client-side option though, accessible through the in-game options menu. This way you'll be able to change it on-the-fly in case you need that; also, not everyone would like it, so we don't want to force it on every player with a lobby option.
It has to work this way. Imagine having team colors turned on. How would you know which teammate to tell talk to in battle situations? The team colors should be togglable by hotkey, too.

Also, I propose that
Red = You
Yellow = Ally
Blue = enemy
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

_Totengraeber_

Serf

Post 12 Mar 2018, 20:07

Also, I propose that
Red = You
Yellow = Ally
Blue = enemy
Should that not be costumizable as well? If not over the option menu at least in the KaM_Remake_Settings file. This way all players can difine the colours they seem fit.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Mar 2018, 23:18

You can make the feature as complicated as you'd like, but such customization is pretty obscure as far as RTS games go. The colors I choose are quite common, and are very distinguishable, even for most color blindnesses.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 13 Mar 2018, 04:41

Ben is right. Over-customization of every detail is not good- it eats developers time and clogs UI :-)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 13 Mar 2018, 10:22

Red = You
Yellow = Ally
Blue = enemy
The colors I choose are quite common, and are very distinguishable, even for most color blindnesses.
I would say red is common for enemy, if we talk not about KaM, but other games, as Red is the most visible color and seeing enemy is the most important thing, even more important, then seeing your troops/houses, as you usually know where they should be.
That is why I would prefer to have red for enemy and, let's say, blue for own troops. For allies that could be yellow or light blue as well.

That basically means we have different point of view with Ben on colors for team/ally/enemy. So customising is a way how to deal with that. Other option could be just adjust someone's point of view and use what was added to the game by developer.
Cluttering UI is a problem indeed, but I would love to be able to customize game on the client side as much as I want to, unless it gives player some advantage.
We already have possibility to swap any sprite in the game with Sprites directory and I think that is great. I know some players that customised their UI a lot, just like Windows wallpaper or style.

Also adding couple of ini settings is a 5 minute standart task that is not complicated at all IMO.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 14 Mar 2018, 01:28

Red is for the player because in original KaM, you always played as red :)

Personally, I don’t like being able to customize the options for the team colors. It’s an added customization option for something that is already a customization. How deep do you want to go?

In the end, I do not care so much anymore. It’s your game, your choice anyway ;)
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 15 Mar 2018, 19:20

Red is for the player because in original KaM, you always played as red :)
Yes, sure, but that is in case of single player game. For multiplayer players usually prefer their preferred color/colors. And as teams are only possible in MP game I do not think we have to stick with 'Red = my troops' pattern anymore.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Mar 2018, 17:54

Teams are only possible in MP? This doesn’t make sense at all to me. There are plenty of teams in SP.
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 18 Mar 2018, 07:44

@Ben
Okay, there are teams in SP, but honestly do you really think its much important to see allies in SP? For what - to see your ally AI is attacking smb or even doing nothing? Ahhh. I do not think that is what this topic about.

MP - that is the place where we need this, especially with some players having grey color (almost invisible on the minimap)
I opened topic on github about it long time ago, check this out: https://github.com/Kromster80/kam_remake/issues/336
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 18 Mar 2018, 10:43

Red is classic KaM color for the player. I'd stick to it.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 18 Mar 2018, 18:20

Having team colors in single player can be very helpful, too. You said it yourself: Gray can be hard to see. And most color blindnesses have no issue seeing the difference between red, blue, and yellow so it would help those people with that type of disability.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that there is no reason why MP would have any reason to need this feature more.
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 18 Mar 2018, 23:24

More we talk about it more I am sure we need to have ability to adjust those colors.

Red is common for KaM SP, as there was almost no MP. Having red in MP is better for enemies IMO.

I think we can agree at the end, that we have different opinions on that and customisation via settings.ini could solve the issue.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 19 Mar 2018, 01:02

Having the configuration done outside the game seems like a fair compromise. Do the gods of KaM a favor though and make red the default value for the player ;)

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”