Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

You cant kill Units, How about retraining them?

<<

cdfbr

Farmer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 27 Jan 2018, 22:18

You cant kill Units, How about retraining them?

Could it be possible to add in the option to retrain units rather then killing them, that way when your stone mason get done mining, you can click on them to send them back to the school. When they get too the school, a treasure chest is added back to the school. Then you can simply train another person.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 27 Jan 2018, 22:35

Re: You cant kill Units, How about retraining them?

This most certainly is not a new idea, but I'm glad that you bring it back up. This was always asked in the past, but always declined, because you could easily dismiss citizens that were nearly hungry, get your gold, then retrain them. Even if you didn't get your gold back, the price of one gold is worth the "auto kill" of hungry blacksmiths, butchers, etc. (since hungry citizens don't work, you would be better off retraining them).

However, it is indeed odd that after a certain amount of time, you have plenty of idle miners, quarrymen, and fishermen all standing around doing nothing. It seems sloppy, right?

Perhaps we could have a "retire" ability for buildings that use natural resources. Once the building can't detect any more resources, you get the message "Your X can't gather any more resources" and then, and only then, do you get the ability to "retire" them, sending them back to the school for no refund.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

HellFriend

Recruit

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 27 Jan 2018, 23:48

Sounds as good idea. But i must ask. If i have two mountian with iron in one isnt iron and one is full of iron. If I destroy iron mine and ill have built one new miner will go in new or he will stand and you can only retire him ?
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 28 Jan 2018, 10:02

Hi,

Well, I made a script where the Townhall get a kind of function. Transforming units which is not used already. For example many times can see that labourers just sent to the battle zone to die.It can be used as meat shield of course, but maybe I'm not alone who says it is not real solution. Citizens should not be in the battlezone.
This scripted TH is offering to transform maximum 20 labourers to rebels. It means the Labourers disapper and rebels walking out from TH. Gold cost is 1goldchest per 1 transformation. Maximum 20 because would be easy to spam rebels by 2 goldchests. But Agree the unit transformation could be a good kind of upgrade.
Here you can see the script
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UygPJ- ... VwR1K/view
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3616
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 28 Jan 2018, 11:03

Perhaps we could have a "retire" ability for buildings that use natural resources. Once the building can't detect any more resources, you get the message "Your X can't gather any more resources" and then, and only then, do you get the ability to "retire" them, sending them back to the school for no refund.
I agree KaM truly needs a simple way to get rid of useless citizens.

My idea now is inspired by yours: All citizens have a button that will dismiss them.
The condition for such button to be enabled is that the citizen must be at "inactive status", so anyone that is hungry will be walking eternally from inn to inn. Only those with the (?) cloud above their heads will be able to be dismissed.

And when dismissed, the citizen will morph into a roaming wolf. :)
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 28 Jan 2018, 16:50

My idea now is inspired by yours: All citizens have a button that will dismiss them.
The condition for such button to be enabled is that the citizen must be at "inactive status", so anyone that is hungry will be walking eternally from inn to inn. Only those with the (?) cloud above their heads will be able to be dismissed.
I like this implementation very much. I'll ask Rey about it on Discord!
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 30 Jan 2018, 18:57

We talked on Discord about decided its good to implement it.
There were thoughts how to make a bit more challanging - f.e. allow to retire only feeded units (or push them to get some food and then retire immidiately), or to retire only if unit has idle status (question mark above his head). But both ideas has their cons - feeding seems to be too complicated and not obvious, while question mark is easy to get, when you close workers house (new feature), so it will be still applicable for almost any unit.

Final solution for now:
1. add "retire" button for every unit.
2. Button enabled only if there is at least 1 school in the players town.
3. After pressed and confirmed unit will go to nearest school.
4. If school is destroyed on the way - he will need to find another one.
5. If there is no more schools - then retire task is cancelled.
6. After entering the school unit considered as retired, gold is not refunded.
7. I think there is no need for retired units statistics. Retired unit should not be considered killed or died ofcause. May be in future we could add some statisctics for that.

Any ideas for icon for this button?
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 30 Jan 2018, 22:41

Any ideas for icon for this button?
A face with a long, gray beard?

Seriously though, I'd simply use text and place the button above the "what does this citizen do" text.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 30 Jan 2018, 23:31

A button that says "retire" would be sufficient and intuitive. However, that's very inconsistent with other buttons in the game, which are all pictorial. In my opinion, we should respect consistency, and have someone design a button that can represent "retirement." Sado might not be that far off, though something less comical would be better ;)
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 31 Jan 2018, 01:13

What about this?
Retire.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 31 Jan 2018, 01:53

Looks nice, I like the idea. The bag at the end of his stick looks a bit untextured though. Can you touch it up a bit?
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 31 Jan 2018, 07:46

Better?
Retire2.png
Retire2_pressed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 31 Jan 2018, 19:48

Better?
Retire2.png
Retire2_pressed.png
I. LOVE. IT.
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

cdfbr

Farmer

Post 02 Feb 2018, 23:44

Yeah okay, Then well have it automatically retrain him. When you send him to the school, it will be to switch jobs. he walks into the school a stone mason, and out pops a Wood Cutter.

What im thinking is, when you click a person there is a button which says, retrain. If you click this button, the person returns to the nearest school. At that school a ! exclamation point appears over the building letting you know the person is waiting. You then go into the school and select which new job you want him to switch to, then press the button and it starts to retrain that person.

The only thing is, the person you sent to be retrained, if the school has units queued in it already, he should wait outside, and then enter the school when space is available. As hes in the school he will be added to the queue but his icon color should change to let you know hes going to be retrained.

I think that covers everything.

But thats my idea on this :)
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 05 Feb 2018, 08:38

Better?
Retire2.png
Retire2_pressed.png
Looks good. May be I'll make it smaller a bit, as there are no other buttons for citizens.

Could you make it as a plain png file, without background? Similar to other buttons (could be found in GUI.rx after export from F11 menu).

Also it would be nice to have new thought cloud above retiring unit head. f.e. it could be bag on a stick, similar as it is on your button image.
Examples of thoughts are in Units.rx, from 3_6251.png to 3_6314.png

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”