Request for photoshop masters help

<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 14 Sep 2017, 01:08

Re: Request for photoshop masters help

@strangelove
Wow, so you had plenty of tiles there, great!

Actually we need to check it out what transitions are missing and what we want to add.

Also I want to program it first. So no hurry guys. I did no expect so much responses in 1 day actually, just want to start fishing what can we get... and we get alot of attention, amazing!

About objects palette: first things first. May be later, will see.

About winter houses:
I checked what we have in repository (KillerB's work) and topic here. It was sad to understand, that KillerB finished almost all of the houses, except Barracks, probably. But in our repo we do not have all of his works. So they dissapeared or may be Thunder used them for his version of snowy houses?

Finally - we have all the houses!
Here is a table with small info, who made every house, at google docs

But we have to make them same style, check how much snow should be there. Some workers animation should be fixed.
There is a file with known issues about snow houses: snowy issues

Here I attach all the houses and snow related info in one archive
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 14 Sep 2017, 06:18

Well, I wouldn't actually say "had". I made them yesterday haha.

We should probably make a list of tiles we need and/or want. ;)
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 14 Sep 2017, 09:46

You are pretty fast. :)

What about the list- its good idea, probably somebody can figure it out.
But still its better I code it first, as @Krom suggested to me.
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 14 Sep 2017, 17:34

Usually I am pretty busy, with either work, workout or my campaign, but yesterday I had some spare time and I kinda got into a flow haha.

Implementing it first might not be a bad idea, but if the tiles are already there, they might serve as some extra motivation! ;)
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 16 Sep 2017, 03:30

But still its better I code it first
Done

Need more gold... oups its from another game... NEED MORE TILES :D

And n1 in that need - all corner tiles for transition from smth to stone. You can see on the picture there is no corners for sand-stone transition. After that plenty of stone-smth transitions will be ready.
Full table I will post later.

Btw, as a side effect of adding new tiles is ~4 times smaller map sizes! F.e. Cube.map is now ~365Kb instead of ~1470Kb.

That because we can't stick with original *.map format, because of strict restriction in it - 1 byte for tile ID, so that is why no more than 256 tiles were available.
So I changed the format, and that is why there is no need to store unused info in *.map file. That mean you will not able to play that map in original game, or open it with some other (old) editor. Well. OK.
And there was 90% unused info inside *.map file

Old maps are still supported, but they will be converted to new format after 1st save.

2. Snow houses: they work indeed, as @Krom said. I just added textures we have and that's it:

Some work on some of them will be needed. Also some artefacts, like at coal mine. Probably more overlapping when worker do his duty.

Coal - is very questionable... Probably we need new kind of 'winter coal' tiles, with small snow on it

Btw I love snow animation - its work even in MapEd when you place snow tile under the house. May be will make it a bit slower, then it is now.
<<

Toxic

Rogue

Post 16 Sep 2017, 07:47

So ... you first "force" me to create algorithms for exceptions of transitions in the Random Map Generator and now you will add new transitions of textures? :@ :@ :@ Anyway good work ... for resources it is extremely required (otherwise there will be ugly transitions of 3 or 4 textures).
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

Post 16 Sep 2017, 08:09

Damn good job you did there, Rey! And so fast as well. :P

I tried out to lay some snow over the coal-tiles, but I am not too sure about them.

Keep up the good work! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 16 Sep 2017, 09:00

So ... you first "force" me to create algorithms for exceptions of transitions in the Random Map Generator and now you will add new transitions of textures? :@ :@ :@ Anyway good work ... for resources it is extremely required (otherwise there will be ugly transitions of 3 or 4 textures).
I am very sorry Toxic. I can revert all back, if you say so... :rolleyes:

Seriously I think we can add most of tile transitions, that needed. No any restrictions for now and no excuses! :@

Btw, Toxic - I believe you are the best expert in tiles and transitions. Can you tell us, what we need more, and what we don't need much? Or may be we just need everything :)
Damn good job you did there, Rey! And so fast as well. :P

I tried out to lay some snow over the coal-tiles, but I am not too sure about them.

Keep up the good work! :D
Thanks!

I think winter coal is good.
There are small green pieces in it (04.png, f.e.), may be its better to make them snowy too?
Last edited by Rey on 16 Sep 2017, 10:31, edited 4 times in total.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Sep 2017, 09:47

Not to be a pain in the ass, but I think the Market and Tannery should be changed. They differ too much from the other buildings (too white).
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 16 Sep 2017, 10:06

Not to be a pain in the ass, but I think the Market and Tannery should be changed. They differ too much from the other buildings (too white).
Yes, I agree.
Also some houses are bluish, and some are just white. I like bluish more, because our snow tiles has blue tone too.
<<

Toxic

Rogue

Post 16 Sep 2017, 16:13

Btw, Toxic - I believe you are the best expert in tiles and transitions. Can you tell us, what we need more, and what we don't need much? Or may be we just need everything :)
Well, I created totally 0 maps so surely I am (or 2^31 ... it is matter of view) :mrgreen: . But seriously - for purposes of the RMG: there are two-sides transitions. So you don't have to create all <-> all transitions because RMG is able to create its own connection. For example when you make transition from snow to grass RMG is automatically able to draw everything what have smooth textures with grass (snow -> desert; snow -> stone; snow -> swamp).

There are needed transitions (sorted by priority, a number represents the tile with specific biome):
Resorces (urgent):
  • Stone tiles to all types which have iron / gold tiles
  • Coal (= Ground transitions) to: 27 (grass-desert), and maybe 45 (snow2)
  • All resources to 16/17 (leaves of trees), maybe 29/30 (clear desert)
Others (additional):
  • 46 (snow1) to: 35 (ground), maybe 0 (grass) or 27 (grass-desert) or 29/30 (clear desert)
  • Same for 47 (ground-snow)
  • Water -> something
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Sep 2017, 22:47

These snowy buildings are very easy to do. I wish I had more time for my Photoshop projects.

Also, I made snowy tiles in the past, they were pretty decent. However, I uploaded them to image shack which lost all it's data a while back (curse you image shack). Unless someone here downloaded them, they are lost. It wouldn't be hard to do them again. I think I could even do a bit better than our Russian friend hehe. However, I'm not sure I feel like doing it ;)

Oh, and I can easily change the hue of buildings to make them more blue/cold. I agree with Anti on the market and tannery, but I'll add that the farm and quarry also need to be changed. They are too warm.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 27 Sep 2017, 20:02

There are needed transitions (sorted by priority, a number represents the tile with specific biome):
Resorces (urgent):
  • Stone tiles to all types which have iron / gold tiles
  • Coal (= Ground transitions) to: 27 (grass-desert), and maybe 45 (snow2)
  • All resources to 16/17 (leaves of trees), maybe 29/30 (clear desert)
Others (additional):
  • 46 (snow1) to: 35 (ground), maybe 0 (grass) or 27 (grass-desert) or 29/30 (clear desert)
  • Same for 47 (ground-snow)
  • Water -> something
I am currently implementing universal transition, with masks, which could be used for 3-4 terrains transitions or for some missing transitions.
But it looks like manually made tiles still looks better, so they will have priority over mask transition.
So if you guys still want to have some of the new tiles - you are welcome to add them.
@Strangelove your work is appreciated ! :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Sep 2017, 05:05

A lazy attempt at getting back into Photoshop. These have much more potential...
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

Post 29 Sep 2017, 08:11

A lazy attempt at getting back into Photoshop. These have much more potential...
Agree. Only with this tile type could make darker, deeper, colder maps.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”