Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Limiting buyable iron?

<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 30 Aug 2017, 11:59

Limiting buyable iron?

What if there was a limit to the amount of iron ore/ingots/weapons/armors/shields we can buy per hour in the Market?

Afaik, this would have a few consequences:
  • Iron would effectively go back to being a limited resource, thus more valuable
  • Because of the previous point Crossbowmen would become more valuable, since they are easier to keep alive and retreat with from a losing battle than melee iron warriors
  • Axe Fighters and Scouts would also become more used, since they can function without iron
  • We could still use the Market to buy the odd iron item without building the whole production chain (which iirc was the reason the Market was introduced in the first place)
Opinions?
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 30 Aug 2017, 13:19

Re: Limiting buyable iron?

I dont think its needed. If you want to limit Iron ore and make it more valuable, design a map that makes Iron ore limited and more valuable. If you limit it via market, it would make Iron only builds (where you trade for Iron ore as early and as much as possible) even less used and worthless. Thats not a way to Make Scouts more used you're looking for (gently and unnoticable moves hand).
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 30 Aug 2017, 13:34

If you want to limit Iron ore and make it more valuable, design a map that makes Iron ore limited and more valuable.
The problem imho that starts the wood vs iron inbalance and that makes sword fighters + bowmen so universally superior (iirc I've read that it is only falling out of fashion because people are getting bored of seeing that combination all the time) is the overaboundance of iron.

(Put this way I think I've already read a thread about it, most probably in this very forum... sorry :$ )

I admit that I don't actually know how much is this overaboundance due to the Market; I'm only guessing based on my experience with single-player and coop games.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Strangelove

Crossbowman

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 30 Aug 2017, 15:54

I dont think limited iron and iron-items is a very elegant solution. Dynamically increasing the cost of iron items the more you trade for them (Supply and demand) might be a better way to address this "problem". The rule of supply and demand could be applied to all wares if necessary.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Sep 2017, 12:21

The point of the market is to allow non renewable resources to be "renewable." Iron isn't running out in the world, so your merchants are able to find it somewhere for your knights ;) The issue with swords and bows being so strong comes from many things, but unlimited iron is not one of them. In fact, late game that combo is seen less because the market is already so inefficient. If you want to see fewer bows, change unit stats or lower the amount of iron mines possible. Don't blame the market when it's not at fault.
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”