Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock

<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Mar 2014, 09:44

Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock

As you know, KaM's military is roughly balanced to be a rock, paper, scissors counter system, where (I'll be referring only to Iron troops for simplicity) Pikemen counter Knights who counter Sword Fighters who counter Pikemen, while Crossbowmen are supposed to be all-around good.
Or at least, were supposed to: their power when paired with any melee troop (especially the cheap Pikemen) to distract enemies prompted the "shield patch", effectively inserting them into the rock-paper-scissors system and, probably, breaking it.

Now, what about transforming said rock-paper-scissors into its famous extended version rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock by "officially" adding Crossbowmen and another trainable unit (maybe Barbarians for Wood troops and Warriors for Iron troops?) to the system?

It would become Pikemen > Knights > Crossbowmen > Warriors > Sword Fighters > Pikemen, like in the picture:
KaM RPSLS.jpg
What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Esthlos on 16 Mar 2014, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Mar 2014, 10:53

Re: Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock

Looks good, but I suspect Pikeman/xBows, xBows/Barbarians and Pikeman/Barbarians arrow are actually the other way round at the moment?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Killer!!

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 12 Mar 2014, 13:04

I like the idea, but I think you shouldn't put the range units in this, because if they are for example the rock and the pikeman is the scissor they would just lose against them because crossbowman can't fight on his own if the enemy is to close
Do you want to play with/against me? Just write me a PM :D
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 12 Mar 2014, 13:18

I like the idea, but I think you shouldn't put the range units in this, because if they are for example the rock and the pikeman is the scissor they would just lose against them because crossbowman can't fight on his own if the enemy is to close
The point is that with four units this won't work, and also ranged units are military units present in KaM.

Besides, Pikemen simply shouldn't get that close to Crossbowmen - they should get killed by bolts beforehand, since they have no shield nor movement speed bonus.
Last edited by Esthlos on 12 Mar 2014, 13:34, edited 4 times in total.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 12 Mar 2014, 13:22

Looks good, but I suspect Pikeman/xBows, xBows/Barbarians and Pikeman/Barbarians arrow are actually the other way round at the moment?
I agree about the Pikemen/Warriors and Crossbomen/Warriors being the other way arond at the moment, but I posted this in "Ideas / Suggestions" because the game is not already this way - if it was, I should have posted in a "game review" section :P
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 12 Mar 2014, 15:24

I like this idea, it would make strategies more important and interesting. Currently swordmans and bowman are the main strategy, sometimes with a few knights and pikes/lances. And with warrior it would be possible to counter both knights and swordman which is the most common. The warrior is not good against crossbow and pikeman, so it makes them more useful.

If the warrior is trained at the barracks, it would need a new weapon that could require two iron at the weapon smithy, idk how would it be balanced. And I think warriors should be in a different kind of group, they shouldn't be in the same group with swordmans and axe fighters. The barbarian could be kept as a special unit like currently it is. The problem is that it needs some new graphics, I would help making them if the idea is accepted. I suppose that than there will additional tests and corrections.
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Mar 2014, 15:38

The knight seems weakly on this graph. The knights should to beat all s...storm units minus pikes. Not only the swordsman.
Knights should to be stronger then any TH units also. (this calculation is based on the used wares)
But yes this graph looks out good. Will you creat leather graph also?
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 12 Mar 2014, 15:53

Thinking about it again, there is already pike/lance and sword/axe for the close combat. Maybe a new type is not needed. But if it's accepted, It would make sense to not allow storm attack for warriors, since it is weaker for archers. Btw I don't like that a storm attacking soldier stop if he has a tree or something in front of him. Thunder could be right about knights, because it's expensive.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

Post 13 Mar 2014, 09:23

But yes this graph looks out good. Will you creat leather graph also?
If you want it I can, but I don't see why should it be needed... it's just a 2-minutes consuming little thing I put together just to illustrate the idea.

Anyway, here it is:
KaM RPSLS L.jpg
Thinking about it again, there is already pike/lance and sword/axe for the close combat. Maybe a new type is not needed. But if it's accepted, It would make sense to not allow storm attack for warriors, since it is weaker for archers. Btw I don't like that a storm attacking soldier stop if he has a tree or something in front of him. Thunder could be right about knights, because it's expensive.
Not allowing them to Storm and making them cost enough should make Crossbowmen a counter to them without adding more "bonus damage/defence vs unit" bonuses than we already have.
Good idea!

Also, giving them enough cost difference Pikemen would be a counter to Warriors even without being able to take them out 1v1, by simply being able to mob them down.

By the way, if Warriors are not allowed to Storm and this graph gets applied, then the Knight does counter every Storm troop... :P

Applying this graph, we would have 5 unit types:
-Bruiser: slow and vulnerable to ranged fire, very expensive, but by far the best melee combatants in the game;

-Fighter: can Storm, resistant to ranged fire, expensive, capable of dishing out respectable damage;

-Horse: fast, resistant to ranged fire, expensive, the second best melee fighter with a weakness to anti-horse weapons;

-Anti-horse: slow and vulnerable to ranged fire, cheap, the weakest in melee combat but able to easily outnumber Bruisers and armed with anti-horse weapons;

-Ranged: slow and very frail, cheap, can be killed by any other soldier - provided they can close the gap and get into melee range without being gunned down in the process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”