Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Turbo Random Style

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Mar 2014, 21:56

Turbo Random Style

People from the AoE comunity might be familiar with a gamemode called "turbo random." I would like to have this option to replace speed slider (maybe just speeds over 2x actually).
Then maybe we could have speeds of normal (1x) fast (1.5x) and very fast (2x). The other option would be to play turbo random, perhaps a mode where laborers construct buildings 4x fast (20hp added with each hamer) and resource production is increased by 50%. You could have "large bases" with 5 woodcutters, 2 sawmills, 4 farms, etc. which would result in much faster gameplay. However, unit movement would be the same, so micro would still be reasonable. If this gamemode works, maybe even replace speed settings altogether...

I know it is easy to turn down such an idea, but give it some thought. The fellows at Microsoft made it work for AoE; let's try it for KaM!
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Mar 2014, 00:22

Re: Turbo Random Style

Would serfs carry more wares or move faster?
Would civilians/troops eat more?
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Mar 2014, 02:16

1) I already said that they wouldn't.
2) Obviously yes
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Mar 2014, 09:10

1) I already said that they wouldn't.
2) Obviously yes
Then, serfs and Inns would become obvious hogs: every building would be in a faster-time environment for every purpose, but ones further away from the Inn would get much more off-time while the civilian goes there and eats; also, you'd need more serfs in order to manage the production surplus or else the production bonus would be in vain - but this is only a minor problem.
A bigger problem is that when players with equal skill play against each other, the first to attack would be the one to lose the game, since the other one can use the time needed for the enemy to come near to train more troops; making this time more effective by boosting production without making troop movement faster would also make turtling strategies even more effective, and I'm pretty sure you don't want that.

Last but not least, it would make feeding your troops even less feasible, since the time your serfs spend bringing the needed food would be more damaging to your economy than usual.

These problems are overcome with the increased game speeds simply because units, both civilian and military, move faster.

I don't think it to be a bad idea per se, mind you, but the fact that you can already specify different game speeds for peacetime and post-peacetime in my opinion does the very thing ("You could have "large bases" with 5 woodcutters, 2 sawmills, 4 farms, etc. which would result in much faster gameplay. However, unit movement would be the same, so micro would still be reasonable.") you proposed this for, but better.

Sorry: I don't like bashing ideas, but I think this one would not work better than what we already have.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Mar 2014, 15:52

1)You mean the inn wouldn't be able to support everyone? -> I doubt it. Citizens would eat faster, so what's the problem? if you mean that citizens further away will have more offtime -> same as now, so what's the problem?
2)No you wouldn't need more serfs. If you went for a normal build than you obviously would, but you'd be using about half as many production buildings as normal.
3)Just don't play on cursed Ravine
4)Ah, now here is an actual problem. I had not thought of that (probably because I seldom feed my troops). I suppose that units in this gamemode could start with a bit more condition, which would enable soldiers to be used before they get hungry, but idk if this is idea.
<<

Nissarin

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 12 Mar 2014, 17:56

Seeing as that discussion quietly died long time ago and no one even remembers about it you're probably wasting your time here.
<<

Tiank

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 12 Mar 2014, 18:07

I think, that the best solution for game speed problems, is idea by Randziu: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2107&p=36230#p36230

I don't like the idea of replacing slider. If there are people who want to play on higher speeds - that's ok. That's their idea of fun. They could do that on some servers (Randziu's idea). Also, I can't imagine some gamemodes being played on lower speeds (Town Merchants - 3x is perfect).

About game speed in general. Recently my brother is trying to convince random players in lobby to play on lower speeds for more fun. He's often succesful. Maybe that's the way, dialogue?

I think it's better to convince players to lower speeds, than taking them away.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Mar 2014, 18:48

I would like your brother in a libby then. If i try to concince them they call me noob and kick me.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 12 Mar 2014, 18:55

Thanks for hijacking yet another one of my topics, guys.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”