Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Charcoal?

<<

Totengraeber

Woodcutter

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 24 Feb 2014, 12:44

Charcoal?

I had this Idea, which could be really nice for lategame stages, or some special maps. When u run out of coal, iron and gold,u need to trade all 3 of them which can be hard to do, depending on the space u have. So why not implement an additional building which makes coal out tree trunks. (I know u can do that with the market too)
U could fill in the smelter or the butcher (i know his profession is wrong for that, but in my imagination his style would fit into that building :) )

So i donno if and how u want to change trading prices but nowadays treetrunk to coal is 1:1
So if this shut work it need to be better than trading, so the charcoal should be 1treetrunk for 2coal. But still there is need for timing as it cannot be that the charcoal 2x faster than the coalmine. So the time needed to produce 2coal must be equal to time a coalmine needs to produce 2coal (or might be a little faster as u have additional effort in building woodcutters).

In this way there is the possibility to change ur economy for late game, to woodcutter+charcoal and trading.

What do u think?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 24 Feb 2014, 17:54

Re: Charcoal?

Abuuuussseeeee!!!!

Seriously now, let's just stick to coal trades. This is probably the best suggestion for a new building I've seen in a long time, but still, I don't see this as being superior to the market. Either way, this isn't Minecraft. This is KaM, and we use coal here :D
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 24 Feb 2014, 22:40

TDL comes and says that this idea might bring us one step closer to making market obsolete in 3, 2, 1...
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 24 Feb 2014, 22:42

0!
This idea might bring us one step closer to making market obsolete!
Awesome. I approve. Dark Mark of Approval.

And now I quit trolling again. :P

Edit: a bit more serious: I kinda like the idea; you put some thought in it, too. But I don't think it's really needed to add a building to overcome a 'map issue' (because that's what running out of resources is).
<<

Menszu

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 01 Mar 2014, 21:01

I thought many times about this.
Just like a Romans in The Settlers 3. You had that option but everybody who have access to coal will use it as more effective source.
One trunk - two charcoal sounds good deal for me, but the process should actually take little more time than mining 2 coals - it should be alternate source but not more effective. Obviously both mined coal and charcoal would be represented by the same resource - good old coal.
I think for the multiplayer it would be used only for lategame or some very specialized tactics, but it might bring some nice variety for special (out of standard setup) MP maps and single Player missions, where Player have to deal with no access to coal. (just like in mentioned Settlers)
The bulding might be unused tannery or forester's hut with added chimney.
It's all fun, and not bad idea, but I guess it has very low priority. And if the Devs are going to add new buildings I guess there are more important ones waiting out there.
Puny lords starving your subjects, such weakness, shame on you...

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”