Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Show how many people of each kind are needed.

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 06 Dec 2013, 22:11

Re: Show how many people of each kind are needed.

I think Krom thinks a bit further ahead than some people here. And eric_theodore_c, please watch your tongue. We would not want this topic to get out of hand, would we? No swearing, keep it nice, don't reply to this post (that would be off-topic) and behave. If you want to swear you can always pm me, my inbox welcomes messages of any kind. Thanks.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 07 Dec 2013, 06:34

@Eric: I did not mean to upset you. I hope you see in my answers that game speed is not a justification to add features, so it's just out of the question.

These ideas have been proposed several times already and got declined. Showing in red and in green looks like an additional clutter to already cluttered UI. There's already info needed to calculate that - summing 3 numbers and comparing it with 4th is not such a big deal.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

eric_theodore_c

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 07 Dec 2013, 13:34

actually it is 6 numbers
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 07 Dec 2013, 15:25

Excuse me, but what is your problem? I just said that in higher game speeds such things like "coloring numbers" up could be easier, but it´s not needed, because thats the - point at high gamespeeds.
Thats why I wrote also that in x1 games you will never need sth like that, because
Even when someone can't find at normal speeds, time to calc, like krom said, you get a message, which not many other games have also.
I just explained normaly, why you don´t need it and I said many times that KaM has one of the best "Tables" in that kind of games, so it is already a big help for the player and it should be enough.
BTW the Table got be fixed at least one time, so its even more structured than it was in TPR. In TPR you have already to take more time to "calc" these numbers...
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Dec 2013, 04:19

Yeah I don't understand what the problem is with this idea. I haven't seen a single counter-argument for it. People are always just vaguely interpreting their own variation of my/theodore's posts.
I don't find it too much of a trouble to let players process statistics values and analyze them. And if player skips that - there are notifications about unoccupied houses.
With this logic, we could just go back to the layout of TPR, or just mess the thing up entirely, like putting miners next to farms or recruits next to vineyards. The colored numbers are about making the graph easier to read. How, exactly, is this bad?
summing 3 numbers and comparing it with 4th is not such a big deal.
Yes, it is. Espically on x2.5 when I have 8 miners, 3 coal mines under construction 1 gold mine, 1 gold mine under construction, 2 iron mines, 1 depleted iron mine, 3 depleted coal mines, etc. It's a mess and I don't want to spend 10 seconds (x2.5=25 game seconds) trying to figure it out.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 08 Dec 2013, 07:03

@Ben: Counter arguments:
1. UI clutter. Christmas is soon, but I doubt it will look fit into KaM Remake to have a Christmas tree in stats (shining with red-green sparkles)
2. Poor arguments FOR it. I see nothing wrong in summing few numbers and comparing that to 4th number.
3. It's a half-solution. Red or Green does not tell how many is needed. Perhaps to improve further it would make better sense to redesign the whole thing instead of pouring patches on it.
4. Conservatism. It was fine in 1998 and we improved it within existing boundaries.
5. @Ben specifically: Game is still designed around x1. Speeds higher than x1 are there to make games shorter and playing harder. If we were to change that we would rename x2 -> x1 and x1 -> x0.5 etc. If you select x2.5 you picked a challenge for yourself - you are the one to face it.

Let's not drive into extremes ;)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 08 Dec 2013, 14:00

I don't see it as clutter. It's normal for games/ real life to write things in red to show a lack of something (like money). On that note, perhaps to make it more clear, we could add a negative sign to show how many citizens behind you are, or add a plus sign to show how many citizens ahead you are?

Also, we both know randoms aren't going to play x1 speed anymore, so no, I don't have a choice. Maybe it's because you don't actualy play the game, or maybe it's because of how bad I am at quick arithmetic, but it IS a big deal to spend precious time staring at the graph.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 08 Dec 2013, 15:31

I agree with Krom this time, and not even because of reason 4 he mentioned. :P A complete redesign would indeed be better if we really want this; in the mean time just add numbers and compare (or make sure you have enough food so nobody dies! ;) ).
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 11 Dec 2013, 21:31

I'm really surprised so many people disagree! Still, no matter, I am not going to kick a dead horse, and this isn't game breaking or anything. I will continue to merely rage as I waste reading the graph :P
<<

RandomLyrics

Sword Fighter

Post 11 Dec 2013, 22:55

i think the good idea will be smth like that: whenever your houses lack of occupant , the game gives small note next to 'house/worker' in the table.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 12 Dec 2013, 08:32

I still see no need to make that. Btw that would maybe even confuse players. You often make a forester before the foresterhouse is ready. Later in game when you have e.g. problems with gold, you made already that guy, he is in the list of the school but the table says "lack". Zhat just bring nearly the same result like the message "house is not occupied" which is already, i say it again, an additional feature of kam, to help the player. Many other games haven't even a (clear) notification system like kam has. You should be happy about that :)

We are moving in a circle. I will tell you again that it isn't hard to sum up 3 numbers zo onr number, or to watch, where it says "lack" :mrgreen:

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”