Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Blocking units

<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 18 Nov 2013, 18:23

Re: Blocking units

Thats the thing, they won´t think. They will think: What the..... I can´t train them, lets ask the Support of KaM if that is a bug.... What is wrong by learning it like we all learned it. AHAAAA Forester are goood to equip, when you have woodcutters in your city, so i shouldnt make them in tsk 68 when there are no trees and I have no woodcutters?!
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 18 Nov 2013, 18:26

@Pawel: Arguing about things that you are not even going to use is quite weird.

I still want to see an actual reply to this post:

- TSK keeps gold/iron mines locked if they can't be used
- Fishers hut is blocked on maps without water
- building menu locked in fighting missions
- wares ratio menu blocked for unreachable wares
It would be good to find the reasoning behind these things, something better than "because KaM had it".
Maybe if you look at it from the other side, imagine KaM had everything blocked (wares/units), just like houses: what was the benefit of unblocking those things that can't be used? Why wares/units were made always accessible, but not houses?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 18 Nov 2013, 18:29

It would be good to find the reasoning behind these things, something better than "because KaM had it".
Maybe if you look at it from the other side, imagine KaM had everything blocked (wares/units), just like houses: what was the benefit of unblocking those things that can't be used? Why wares/units were made always accessible, but not houses?
OMG.

"- TSK keeps gold/iron mines locked if they can't be used "
Great. Thats how KaM worked. When there were no iron in the first mission of tsk until 7 or so, you couldn´t build it, thats normal.

"building menu is locker in fighting missions"
That was everytime like that in the orginal game. Why you should edit that,when you don´t need it?!!?!?

"- Fishers hut is blocked on maps without water"
See one answer above.

"- wares ratio menu blocked for unreachable wares"
Don´t understand your point.
<<

Krom

Post 18 Nov 2013, 18:36

Thats the thing, they won´t think. They will think: What the..... I can´t train them, lets ask the Support of KaM if that is a bug....
Most of the games start this way - at first player is limited to help him avoid mistakes, and further into the game as player gets used to what he has more options are unlocked. That stands almost for any RTS game (and most other games genres too)
What is wrong by learning it like we all learned it.
Same thing that was wrong with old multiplayer - it can be improved.
AHAAAA Forester are goood to equip, when you have woodcutters in your city, so i shouldnt make them in tsk 68 when there are no trees and I have no woodcutters?!
There are two things mixed here: Campaign learning curve (TSK limited to only a dozen of houses, but everything gets unlocked to TSK9 iirc) and map specific settings (no ponds, or no trees). I would not block Woodcutter on pure sand maps or Fisherman on maps without water, because that would indeed teach a player something (to explore before building). But I would block Metallurgist in TSK1 because it is not time for him to be accessible there yet.
<<

Krom

Post 18 Nov 2013, 18:37

OMG.

Great. Thats how KaM worked. When there were no iron in the first mission of tsk until 7 or so, you couldn´t build it, thats normal.

That was everytime like that in the orginal game. Why you should edit that,when you don´t need it?!!?!?

See one answer above.

Please spend some more time on the last 3 sentences - there's the point ;)
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 18 Nov 2013, 18:41

OMG.

See one answer above.

1) TSK 5 had iron. AND IF YOU LIKE HOW IT WAS THEN WHY DON'T YOU WANT TO HAVE IT WITH UNITS AND WARES?
2) Same again. If you can't train knights for example, because you don't have iron, then why would you want to train knights?
3) Well, this is rather to Krom. Personally I don't like how there are fishers in the Remake's TSK campaign. This is unnatural to me, since there weren't any of them in the original game either. @Pawel: Taking TPR as an example is retarded. Concluding from your reply on fishers in TSK, there should be town hall and siege workshop in the Remake's TSK "just because it was there in TPR". There were many things that were changed in TPR about TSK. Mission 3 "reworked" (you only have mercenaries if you play TSK in the original TPR), mission 4 replaced... Etc. So what? Still, do you consider the TPR version of TSK the real? I guess not. SO NO FISHERS, PLEASE!
4) The same as 1) and 2) again... He means that what you can't use, you don't have to care about (I guess).
Last edited by Bence791 on 13 Sep 2021, 14:08, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited that last line out of there
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 19 Nov 2013, 01:44

~Mod: Topic unlocked. Stay on-topic from now on please. Note that The Dark Lord's warning still stands so no childish behavior. Also, users who don't use the report button and instead reply to off-topic/flaming posts will have their posts deleted and warnings added. Thank you.~
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 19 Nov 2013, 15:56

Again back on topic :rolleyes: :

1) TSK 5 had iron. AND IF YOU LIKE HOW IT WAS THEN WHY DON'T YOU WANT TO HAVE IT WITH UNITS AND WARES?
2) Same again. If you can't train knights for example, because you don't have iron, then why would you want to train knights?
3) Well, this is rather to Krom. Personally I don't like how there are fishers in the Remake's TSK campaign. This is unnatural to me, since there weren't any of them in the original game either. @Pawel: Taking TPR as an example is retarded. Concluding from your reply on fishers in TSK, there should be town hall and siege workshop in the Remake's TSK "just because it was there in TPR". There were many things that were changed in TPR about TSK. Mission 3 "reworked" (you only have mercenaries if you play TSK in the original TPR), mission 4 replaced... Etc. So what? Still, do you consider the TPR version of TSK the real? I guess not. SO NO FISHERS, PLEASE!
4) The same as 1) and 2) again... He means that what you can't use, you don't have to care about (I guess).

I don´t think its "retarded" to take Tpr as an example. Like you saw fishermen are also in tsk right now. So the "original game" means, tsk + tpr. With tpr new feature were added, but my point is just that it will just confuse new players totaly.
I mean maybe the Remake Team could delete these soldiers/citizens completly from the list, instead of just making them "black". This would solve the problem,because in TSK01, when pushing on school, players would see in the list only a Serf,Labour,Forester,stonemeason,fishermen,farmer,"backerymister",recruit. So this confusion wouldn´t even come out like "why these units are black and I can´t make them". When you think,this feature should be added because of helping new players and making a better "tutorial", you should think maybe about the idea, just to delete the "not madeable" units directly from the list and let them appear step by spem like a real tutorial! Show the scouts first time in barracks at TSK04 for example.
<<

andreus

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 02 May 2014, 13:31

Back on topic :D

we can see how this feature works in Castle Defenders ;)

btw feature is not added to Features list (https://code.google.com/p/castlesand/so ... uglist.txt, and also noticed that "Increased brush size" is not bugfix, it's a little improvement - my mistake :D)
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 02 May 2014, 14:06

Selfadvertising your map? :? Not again please.

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”