Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Trees: Palms - cuttable or not; Trees selfspreading or not?

<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 31 Jul 2013, 18:27

Re: Trees: Palms - cuttable or not; Trees selfspreading or n

Maybe the woodcutter would cut those 3 clusters 3 times (1/cluster), each gives 1 trunk? :p
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

Islar

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 31 Jul 2013, 18:35

Maybe you can do something else with the palmtrees instead of cutting them if you want to use them. Like for example to collect the coconuts and throw them out of a tower. :mrgreen:

Just kidding :D
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 31 Jul 2013, 19:32

@Dreamkiller: I did not mean to upset you, sorry.

See, palm trees grow in clusters of 2 and even 3. That clearly indicates that they were not supposed to be cut, because all cuttable trees are single and there's no animation of woodcutter carrying 3 trunks.
No problem, I was just a bit angry at this time. ;)
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 31 Jul 2013, 19:34

... can leave the biggest palm (just like the highest christmas tree :mrgreen: ) that it could not be cut? The largest palm consists of three interconnected palm? P (three trunks of the palm is a misunderstanding). Still it tree to make life difficult. According to me, this is a compromise :wink: ;)
That's an interesting compromise, but I think that it just makes the system even more confusing. That there is a specific pine tree that can't be cut is confusing as is.

@DreamKiller, do you think that you'd be capable of drawing trees that look like the Umbrella Thorn Acacia? That would be the best solution in my opinion :)

Do you mean something like that:

Have made it in the last 2 hours. An Umbrella Thorn Acacia for KaM. This was a funny pixel art, I drawed pixel by pixel. :D
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 01 Aug 2013, 05:25

I haven't read the whole discussion, but I don't see a big problem with palm trees being uncuttable. At least it's consistent, and palm trees grow on sand which is not fertile in KaM (you can't plant fields there either, so why should you be able to plant/cut trees?)

I see more of a problem with the large pine tree which is not cuttable, because that's inconsistent (all other pine trees are cuttable).
<<

Nissarin

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 01 Aug 2013, 10:07

I haven't read the whole discussion, but I don't see a big problem with palm trees being uncuttable. At least it's consistent, and palm trees grow on sand which is not fertile in KaM (you can't plant fields there either, so why should you be able to plant/cut trees?)

I see more of a problem with the large pine tree which is not cuttable, because that's inconsistent (all other pine trees are cuttable).
It's not only inconsistent, it's annoying and while some might argue that map maker used them deliberately, I think that most of them didn't even realize it because there is no clear distinction.
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 01 Aug 2013, 10:35

Have made it in the last 2 hours. An Umbrella Thorn Acacia for KaM. This was a funny pixel art, I drawed pixel by pixel. :D
Not exactly but I like it. But a new tree from the same species is very interesting, as long as it looks good and in style KaM. And it is nice :D
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 01 Aug 2013, 15:30

Not exactly but I like it. But a new tree from the same species is very interesting, as long as it looks good and in style KaM. And it is nice :D

Thanks! :)
And here is version 0.2 of the tree:
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 02 Aug 2013, 02:35

It's not only inconsistent, it's annoying and while some might argue that map maker used them deliberately, I think that most of them didn't even realize it because there is no clear distinction.
Mapmakers who don't realize that the tallest pine tree is uncuttable, are noob mapmakers ;)

@Dreamkiller: Woah man, amazing. Simply amazing. I see that this tree is starting to look superb. I've wanted more desert trees for so long, and I can finally hope that we may get one soon!

I am worried about the growth of this tree. While we could just use the small version of the other desert tree (similar to how many of the deciduous trees work), having small version of this tree would be nice. However, your small versions are the same exact image, only scaled down, and that looks bad imo.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 02 Aug 2013, 03:53

I asked him the same as you just did on TS, Ben, and he says it's temporary and the smaller versions will be made as well.
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 02 Aug 2013, 12:12

Dreamkiller, it looks like it's getting better :) What do you think to make a pine tree, which was covered with a little snow? (its great for winter map, and you can use tree of KaM to do this). Dreamkiller, what do you say? Sado also what do you think? (you like snow maps :P ) and also other ofc :P :wink:
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 03 Aug 2013, 13:23

Dreamkiller, it looks like it's getting better :) What do you think to make a pine tree, which was covered with a little snow? (its great for winter map, and you can use tree of KaM to do this). Dreamkiller, what do you say? Sado also what do you think? (you like snow maps :P ) and also other ofc :P :wink:

I can make the graphics, but I don't have so much time at this moment. I have hollydays in 2 weeks, then I will finish my projects at first, maybe I have a bit time for that after them. (the stonemason, that african tree, the scripteditor for KaM, oh and maybe the new working building for the weapons for town hall units). ;)
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 05 Aug 2013, 18:49

Dreamkiller, sometimes people are a little bit rude about your work.
but i love it :D
i really appreciate that you put so much time in it to make it better :D

Good Luck
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 24 May 2014, 21:20

Hey there!
I just want you know that I want to finish the tree. But I have no time for that at the moment because I have to study for university(always a lot to do). I will finish it when I have more time. This could take a while.

But this project is not dead it's just paused! :) :P
<<

Skypper

Knight

Post 25 May 2014, 06:51

Good to hear, I hoop to see more soon.
Good luck with your study
Greets Skypper (Totally Insane)

- Beginning map maker -

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”