Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Trees: Palms - cuttable or not; Trees selfspreading or not?

<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 31 Jul 2013, 10:26

Re: Trees: Palms - cuttable or not; Trees selfspreading or n

Uncuttable trees are there for the same reason as unwalkable tiles - to make players life harder and make him micro manage around that limitation.

I'm against cuttable/uncuttable option in MapEd. How would a player know if he can count on certain trees being cuttable or not?

Palms have been special since 1998 and they were not designed to be cuttable (see V shaped palms, how would they be ever cut?).
Sorry Krom, but I do not agree with you. I think that it was not about the player irksomeness life. In my opinion of original creators were too lazy and they left off many objects and tiles. Examples? Many tiles missing: different kinds of terrain, which is joined to another.
The game had many bugs (as we all know). TPR, shows just how messy the game designers approached this ... It is unfortunate that you are not only for this to be able to plant the palms and / or cut. In that case, why all of the survey, what they think other people? The game has to be real? In my opinion, lack of shear palm is unreal.
Sorry if my post is misunderstood. :?

edit: oh and one more thing ... how the palm trees to make life difficult for the player, since Mapmakers not put them on their maps, because they can not be cut ... ? :rolleyes:
Last edited by woloszek on 31 Jul 2013, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 31 Jul 2013, 10:30

Well I agree with Krom, I don't think palm trees should be cuttable.
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 31 Jul 2013, 10:33

maybe let's do a poll?
<<

WhiteWolf

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 31 Jul 2013, 11:26

palm wood is in real life nothing compared to fine pine trees so not cutting them could be just as real ?

I don't see why palm trees can't be 'just map decoration'. ? Same as the biggest pine trees~
There is no such thing as innocence only degrees of guilt.
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 31 Jul 2013, 11:42

tropical map (eco) in multiplayer ... that would be something cool (Dreamer :rolleyes: )
<<

thunder

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 31 Jul 2013, 12:35

hey!
I read only thi: "uncuttable trees".
I have an idea, because i always use the vine tricky. What if do the labourers have a select a tree and cut it function?
;)
just 3 lines in the program and dont need pictograms and more tree's animations...etc;)
Delete this post please if you were talking abuot the girls or troll or something els. i really dont read jut the topic's nameXD
XD

Im sorry;)
<<

WhiteWolf

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 31 Jul 2013, 12:59

hey!
I read only thi: "uncuttable trees".
I have an idea, because i always use the vine tricky. What if do the labourers have a select a tree and cut it function?
;)
just 3 lines in the program and dont need pictograms and more tree's animations...etc;)
Delete this post please if you were talking abuot the girls or troll or something els. i really dont read jut the topic's nameXD
XD

Im sorry;)

to clearafy, you want to add a function to the labourer (the guys who build our roads) to cut the uncutable trees :O

Don't really know what i must think of that,

1. they are the labourers and not woodcutters
2. they do construct everything so this could fall under 'making tiles constructable'
There is no such thing as innocence only degrees of guilt.
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 31 Jul 2013, 13:06

Krom has decided. It makes no sense to continue this topic. :rolleyes:
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 31 Jul 2013, 13:13

There is a sense to continue, it is a discussion after all, and if you cannot convince someone you can always make a compromise. for example you can suggest adding a new palm tree that you can cut. this way you keep the old ones and still create more variety, the only thing that needs to be done is a spriter who makes them.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 31 Jul 2013, 13:47

Palms have been known for being uncuttble for ages. After all why not cactuses? They are "treeish" as well ;)

If the base problem is in lack of cuttable trees on sand then the most clear solution - to draw more cuttable trees for sand.
If the problem is palms obstruct the way - that is what objects on maps do.
If the problem is that someone wants to draw a falling palm .. I dunno, let him draw that, but I doubt we could include that just for that reason.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 31 Jul 2013, 13:54

If the base problem is in lack of cuttable trees on sand then the most clear solution - to draw more cuttable trees for sand.
This is actually exactly i was hoping you would say, since that would be nice.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Dreamkiller

Militia

Post 31 Jul 2013, 14:57

If the problem is that someone wants to draw a falling palm .. I dunno, let him draw that, but I doubt we could include that just for that reason.
What?? I don't want to draw it just for fun. I was asked if I could do it, because there are uncuttable trees in that game and that is crazy. In my opinion you should be able to cut down palms.(I know it's just my opinion and I acept your's and will not make the sprites). But it's wood, so what is different to the normal trees!? Okay, it's not implemented, but I think the problem in development was the time. Because it is not needed for the gameplay.

--------------------------------------------------------
But just let me give you a metaphor for this: (Please don't take it peronal, I only want to explain you the facts :) ).
Imagine you are buiding a house.(a game(KaM)) You are getting the buidingmaterials. Now you start working. At first, the important things like the walls. (For the main gameplay). And after that you will bring in electricity and stuff like that.(More detailed things). Some rooms have a heater now and its warm in some rooms.(For example the cuttable trees). But the other heaters are still standing in a storage room in your house, because you don't have enouth time to bring them to work. (For example the uncuttable trees(the developers didn't had enougth time)). You are using them as table. (The trees are used as decoration...). And after a while you have enough time to bring them in the right rooms.
But then you say, ohm nope I don't want these, this is my table I need that table, then I rather want to have it cold here!
--------------------------------------------------------

But okay, I only wanted to help(because I was asked and I don't want to make that just for fun as you wrote!). Sure, you can keep your table, its not my house. ;)
Sry than for that try to help. ;)
<<

woloszek

Sword Fighter

Post 31 Jul 2013, 15:00

ok, other question - why when I put the vines, tree disappears? magic? :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

there is a lot of other objects that block your way ... can leave the biggest palm (just like the highest christmas tree :mrgreen: ) that it could not be cut? The largest palm consists of three interconnected palm? P (three trunks of the palm is a misunderstanding). Still it tree to make life difficult. According to me, this is a compromise :wink: ;)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 31 Jul 2013, 15:35

... can leave the biggest palm (just like the highest christmas tree :mrgreen: ) that it could not be cut? The largest palm consists of three interconnected palm? P (three trunks of the palm is a misunderstanding). Still it tree to make life difficult. According to me, this is a compromise :wink: ;)
That's an interesting compromise, but I think that it just makes the system even more confusing. That there is a specific pine tree that can't be cut is confusing as is.

@DreamKiller, do you think that you'd be capable of drawing trees that look like the Umbrella Thorn Acacia? That would be the best solution in my opinion :)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 31 Jul 2013, 17:58

@Dreamkiller: I did not mean to upset you, sorry.

See, palm trees grow in clusters of 2 and even 3. That clearly indicates that they were not supposed to be cut, because all cuttable trees are single and there's no animation of woodcutter carrying 3 trunks.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”