Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

FUN WITH FLAGS - game mode - description

<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 15 Jun 2013, 16:31

Re: FUN WITH FLAGS - game mode - description

Shadaoe did a good job and provided the final version of the map.

To clear up the confusion about the forbidden zone - look at the screenshot:

The forbidden zone is limited to the black painted quare (of course it's not black in game). The stones lie exactly on the border of the forbidden zone. So it's easy to see them.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 15 Jun 2013, 18:07

One question about that forbidden zone. How does it exactly work, it starts destroying all units when troops are in the zone, like every 2 sec, so my question is. Did you see somebody, who could enter the base with like Mass horses, because like one horse survived? :P
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 15 Jun 2013, 18:35

One question about that forbidden zone. How does it exactly work, it starts destroying all units when troops are in the zone, like every 2 sec, so my question is. Did you see somebody, who could enter the base with like Mass horses, because like one horse survived? :P
i tried it, it did not work :(
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 15 Jun 2013, 20:50

I'm guessing the script checks every tick whether there's a unit on a forbidden tile or not. One tick = 1/10 second, so no way cavalry is fast enough. :P
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 16 Jun 2013, 03:30

I'm guessing the script checks every tick whether there's a unit on a forbidden tile or not. One tick = 1/10 second, so no way cavalry is fast enough. :P
It's not that fast, it's more like once every 1-2 seconds (spread out to reduce CPU usage). However, I think it's still more than fast enough that you can't get a scout from one side to the other in that amount of time.
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 16 Jun 2013, 06:41

It checks every 10 ticks. I've tried multiple times, but never manage to get units further than 3 tiles.

I had 2 tiles first, but then I managed to cross with some knights.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 16 Jun 2013, 08:30

Speed of mounted units = 0.1625 tiles per tick. So in 10 ticks they can travel 1.625 tiles at most. 3 sounds like a safe width, just in case.
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 16 Jun 2013, 19:13

This gamemode has gone final today and will be included with the next KaM Remake release.

A big thank you to all my testers!

They provided valuable feedback. So it was that some final changes have been made: variety does not need the marketplace any more. And teams don't lose flags when teammates have the same score.

Two more translations arrived - Shadaoe has made a french translation and dicsoupcan the dutch one. Good work!
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 16 Jun 2013, 19:18

We should celebrate the first succesfull launch of a new gamemode somehow :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 16 Jun 2013, 19:20

We should celebrate the first succesfull launch of a new gamemode somehow :D
Let´s drink together for the new gammemode: Beer here
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 16 Jun 2013, 19:23

Great that the game mode is ready for the release, great work, and I recommend everyone to play it, it's so much fun !
<<

Elis.jane

Post 16 Nov 2013, 21:46

Hi, could you please explain how exactly the City flag is calculated? I thought that it will be better to have the same number of each building. So I tried to finish all buildings at least twice. I had city 21 and hoped, that each second building will be one extra point. Then I finished fourth wood house and I got the flag (so I have to had at least 25). It seems like a big jump from 21 to 25 just for one finished building. So I think I misunderstood it a little bit...
<<

Sexy Siegfried

Post 20 Nov 2013, 19:20

Hi Elis.jane,

in principal, you're right. But you'll get the highest score if all houses have a count of exactly 2. Let me elaborate:

mathematical speaking, it calculates the total number of houses you have. Then it takes the standard deviation from the average number of single house types and divides the former number with the latter.

The actual formula is:
score = #houses / (1 + stddev)
with stddev the deviation and #houses the total sum

So if you really have 2 buildings of each type, you have a total sum of 52 houses (market doesn't count). The standard deviation in this case is 0 (all houses have 2 buildings, therefore the average is 2 - there is no deviation), so the score is 52. I've tested this, it works. If you have only a score of 21 then i bet you don't have exactly 2 of each building. Keep in mind, that really each building counts, from the storehouse over towers to coal mines and all others.

From your text I see that you already had a 3rd woodcutter. Look at the formula, you'll see that there is the #houses. You can actually brute-force the score by building additional houses. If you have an evenly built city and add one woodcutter, this score will increase by 1 most of the times. However, it won't make a jump of more than 1. The stddev in the denominator punishes you if you only build one type of buildings. So if you would only have 1000 storehouses but no other building, your score would still be 1.

The more equal the number of houses are, the less influence the stddev has. So, in a sense, city is the communist among the flags. It's the highest if all houses have the same count and the lowest if only one house type is there.

If that's too complicated, let me give you an example of a typical city setup of my own which gives a score of ~25. My record is to have this after ~50 minutes:
1 storehouse, 2 towers (both already there)
1 inn, 2 schools, 1 barracks
5 quarries, 5 woodcutters, 3 sawmills
2 gold mines, 5 coal mines, 2 metallurgists
5 farms, 3 sawmills, 3 bakeries
3 pig farms, 1 butcher, 1 tannery
2 armory, 1 stable, 3 wine farms
2 weapon makers, 1 barracks
2 iron mines, 2 iron smithies
1 weapon, 2 armor smithies

You see, the numbers are more or less similar, you won't find exceptions like 8 farms or 10 coal mines that you will find in many cities. And this indeed is the intention of this flag: prevent monoculture, prevent mass-mining.
I discovered, that in my setup I cannot have a 6th building of any kind, otherwise it's very hard to get the city flag. So the 6th farm and additional coal mines have to wait until this flag is awarded.

- S
<<

Elis.jane

Post 22 Nov 2013, 19:30

Thank you so much for the answer :). Do you plan to add some more flags? For non fighting mode? If there are only two players and don't want to fight with each other, there are only few flags for deciding who wins. And some more maps? It would be great if I could choose any map to play this mode. :lol:
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 22 Nov 2013, 23:00

It would be great if I could choose any map to play this mode. :lol:
If you all players agree to not attack each other (so you don't need the "death zones" outside each village) then you could copy the .script file into any map folder, disable the death zone code and it should work.

1. Browse to your KaM Remake MapsMP folder
2. Make a copy of the map you wish to convert to "fun with flags", and give the folder a sensible name, for example "Across the Desert FWF"
3. Copy the .script file from Florescence One into the new map folder you created
4. Open up this copied .script file in a text editor (Notepad++ or Notepad will do) and go to line 1068. Add "//" (without quotes) to the start of the line:

Before:
if (balancer_loc > 0) AND (balancer_loc <= LOCATIONS_TOTAL) then KillBaseIntruderers(balancer_loc);
After:
//if (balancer_loc > 0) AND (balancer_loc <= LOCATIONS_TOTAL) then KillBaseIntruderers(balancer_loc);

(If your text editor doesn't show line numbers you can search for the "before" text)

5. Copy the .wav and .libx files from Florescence One into your new map folder
6. Rename all files from whatever they previously were called to the name of this new map folder. Assuming you took "Across the Desert" and your new folder is called "Across the Desert FWF" then you would need to do these renames:

Across the Desert.dat -> Across the Desert FWF.dat
Across the Desert.map -> Across the Desert FWF.map
Across the Desert.txt -> Across the Desert FWF.txt
Florescence One.script -> Across the Desert FWF.script
Florescence One.beat.wav -> Across the Desert FWF.beat.wav (and the same with all the other .wav files)
Florescence One.eng.libx -> Across the Desert FWF.eng.libx (and the same with all the other .libx files)

7. You should now be able to play your map in multiplayer. It will appear under the "Building maps" section by default, you can edit the .txt file to make it appear under special maps (take a look at Florescence One.txt for an example).

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”