Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Town Hall Units

<<

FrankyDG

Serf

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 14 May 2013, 15:46

Town Hall Units

Like the new building 'marketplace', can't there be a building where you can make slingshots, barbarian axes en the pitchforks.
This way you can make the untis from the town hall just in the regular way.

I also think the town hall was a bad idea but i liked the units you could hire

Excuse me if there was a topic with this idea, but couldn't find it ;)
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 14 May 2013, 15:47

Re: Town Hall Units

i cannot exactly tell you in which topic it has been discussed, but there have been long discussions over this.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

FrankyDG

Serf

Post 14 May 2013, 16:46

already thought i wasn't the only one with this idea.
Could you tell me wat the outcome was from that discussion?
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 May 2013, 16:58

Well, devs said they are too cheap to be implemented the way they were in TPR. If they will be in the future, they will be reworked. After all, they cost much (yeah, I think they do), it's much better to mass soldiers from the barracks than from the town hall. So there is actually no problem about it.
On the other hand, adding a new building just for a use that another building already has would be useless and much of work for nothing. Revive the Town Hall instead... :P
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 14 May 2013, 17:37

On the other hand, adding a new building just for a use that another building already has would be useless and much of work for nothing. Revive the Town Hall instead... :P
You didn't read carefully the first post, FrankyDG didn't suggest to add a new building with exactly the same functions as the town hall, but he suggested that a building could be added to create the weapons needed for the town hall soldiers and then recruit them the "old" way, with recruits and equipments (apparently in the town hall).

It is a nice idea, I'm not sure that it is the best but it sounds fine, the problems are graphics and adding a building that people aren't used to. The townhall units implementation is the source of many discussions but this idea is quite good compared to many others.
<<

Bence791

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 May 2013, 18:18

Like the new building 'marketplace', can't there be a building where you can make slingshots, barbarian axes en the pitchforks.
This way you can make the untis from the town hall just in the regular way.
I think he did, maybe I have misunderstood, but I don't think so.

There would be a couple of problems with mercenaries' weapons being produced, like how could you balance the barbarians and warriors' axes' price? Or maybe they'd need armors, but then a leather armor for a barb, and an iron one for a warrior? That would be logical, I mean if you look at them :P But it would make difference in price while there is no difference in their power and defense actually. Nerfing is not a good idea imo. Barbs op :/
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

FrankyDG

Serf

Post 14 May 2013, 20:22

i meant what shadaoe said, it takes some thinking how you can do it. For (bad and quickly thinking) example: leave the barbarian out so you can make the stuff for the warrior. If you only see the idea and leaves the details out for a moment I dont think it is a bad idea. But it need to get a deeper thought
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 15 May 2013, 00:37

I think he did, maybe I have misunderstood, but I don't think so.
where you can make slingshots, barbarian axes en the pitchforks.
I think it is quite clear :p These are weapon names.

Well the price is quite hard to decide indeed, as you said it needs some more thinking, but overall it's a nice idea in my opinion.
<<

FrankyDG

Serf

Post 15 May 2013, 14:36

i have thought it out a little, these are my ideas:

The units in the town hall were:
- barbarian/warrior
- rogue
- rebel
- vagebond

The new weapons are made in 1 (new) building

Barbarian/warrior - Barbarian Axe (1 plank + 1/2 iron)
- Iron Armament (ofcourse made in Armor Smithy)
- Recruit

Rogue - Slingshot (1 leather + 1 plank or stone ((there is no wood in the slingshot but if you want a stone there are too much resources for 1 building)) )
- Recruit
- No leather armour because it's not as good as a normal archer, so in my opinion you need less resources

Rebel - Pitchfork (1/2 planks)
- Recruit

Vagebond - Axe (ofcourse made in the weapons workshop)
- Horse (Stables)
- Recruit

Now you need a building where Planks, Leather and Iron can be brought too. Waepons are made by the Carpenter

Let me know what you think :)
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 May 2013, 14:49

I'd rather keep things consistent. For example, if we were to make slings, I'd like them to be made out of two timber just like all of the primitive weapons.
The best thing IMO if we were to do this would just be to have rebels trained with just a lance and rouges trained with just a bow (no armor). It's tricky to say about what to do with the barbarians since their stats are actually very different then just a swordfighter without armor (he has much more attack).
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

FrankyDG

Serf

Post 15 May 2013, 15:16

I can see why you want too have things consistent, but in my opinion if you give a rogue a bow and the rebel a lance and they switch to slingshots and pitchforks it would be very unrealistic. And for the barbarian/warrior axe: i wrote 1 plank + 1/2 iron. He has more attack so 2 iron. You need 3 things for the weapon so it is realistic ( the way i see it) he has more attack like he have now. And for defence, leave the warrior out so you can only make barbarians and give him a leather armour. This way you keep the stats close to the armour/weapon he has.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 May 2013, 15:27

...but in my opinion, if you give a rogue a bow and the rebel a lance and they switch to slingshots and pitchforks it would be very unrealistic.
You will not convince me to support anything because of realism. How realistic is it that it takes an entire tree to make a single axe (two timber), but only a tree-and-a-half to make an entire watchtower (3 timber)?
Who cares about the realism? It's just a game. Let's keep it basic and fun ;)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

FrankyDG

Serf

Post 15 May 2013, 15:40

That's the way KaM works, i know that, and i love it. But you only need planks and stone for the building. That it is less compared to the real world is just logic, It's a game. . But I keep calling KaM a very realistic game because the food, economics, how you make your army and buildings. It's complicater then for example Age of Empires where you just click on a men in the barrack and you have him. But in KaM an axe is an axe and a bow a bow and nothing else. Thats why i used the term realistic. But maybe it is better is you wrote it like this: 'realistic'
<<

krisdw

Pikeman

Post 16 May 2013, 08:15

I kind of like FrankyDG's ideas here. It sounds like the most reasonable way of adding those units back into the game.

My 2 cents, for whatever it is worth :)
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 16 May 2013, 15:11

Oh boy, the 'realism'-discussion again. Well, that probably means I have to impose my opinion on you once again ;)

The whole realism-thing is more or less all about logic and inner consistency. So if you make an axe out of some wood, it looks natural. An axe consists of pretty much wood. So this is believeable. It's of course not realistic, because an axe needs some iron, too. But that's not the point here, because KaM is a strategy game, not a realistic simulator.

But Ben, if you suggest to make a slinger out of wood, that contradicts this inner logic. A slinger is made out of a rope. So it's leather or bound straw. But it has no wooden part. It just feels not right to make a slinger out of wood. We have leather and corn (straw) available in the game, both sound more logic to me.

I like Franky's ideas, because they are so close to the model that I prefer for implementation: the townhall units are basically the 'milita' counterpart for the pikeman/archery/horse-units. So, make them use the according weapon without additional armor pieces. Well, and a good model for the weapon production has to be found eventually. It's a good idea to make a slinger out of leather, but we're lacking ingame sprites ...

Return to “Ideas / Suggestions”