Official KaM Remake Bugs topic

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 29 Dec 2011, 03:54

Re: Official KaM Remake r2736 Bugs topic

In a multiplayer game, if peace time is set, after peace time is over the music stops, and only starts up again after the game is over. I do have my own custom music on top of the existing that plays well(I convert each one to mp2), but still, it shouldn't matter. Even deselecting and reselecting the music option does nothing after peace time, swapping tracks, about the only thing I didn't attempt to get it going again was the shuffle option, which was off. I'll try it again later, or if someone else has this problem, that would fore go my need to retest it.
Very strange... The music is supposed to fade out when peacetime ends and the "peacetime is over" sound effect plays for a few seconds, then it should fade back in once that sound stops. It works fine for me, I can't reproduce your problem :(
Were you playing with the sound effect volume at zero? I tried it like that and the sound music still resumed after the sound had finished (even though it was at zero volume) I've now made music fading not occur when the sound effect volume is at zero because that's a bit confusing. (I guess some people want to turn the sound effects off) Have you deleted your Sounds folder or changed any of the WAV files in there? That could cause an issue.
My only other idea is that the file format you used confused the music library and it failed to resume properly. But that sounds very unlikely.

Could you please download this test mission:
http://lewin.hodgman.id.au/temp/GoalTest.zip
Extract it to your Maps folder. Run it from the singleplayer maps. If you kill the militia, you will be defeated and the music will be faded out while the defeat sound effect plays. If you destroy the storehouse, you will win and the victory sound will fade the music. This is exactly the same as what happens with peacetime, but it's much more convenient to test. Please see if you can reproduce the bug.
If you can reproduce it, please let me know what you did and send the music file that it happens for. (in case the format is causing an issue)

By the way, our music library supports MP1, MP2, MP3, OGG, and a few others, so no need to convert the files.
Thanks for reporting this issue.
Lewin.
P.S. In the original situation you reported with peacetime, when does the music come back? After the victory/defeat sound effect? When you returned to the menu? (you said "after the game is over", I just wanted to check what you meant by that)
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 29 Dec 2011, 05:49

@Krom: I committed a test map "Delivery balance". Place orders for weapons and armour then let it run. When they used all 1000 coal I had: 402 swords, but only 96 armour. The weapon/armour smithies are right next to each other, so you cannot complain that they are too far away. The problem is that iron is only produced at a rate to supply 1 or maybe 1.5 building(s), and that guy uses the iron as soon as the serfs give it to him, so most of the time he gets it all.
Now you could tell me to build another iron mine and iron smelter, but that's no practical in a lot of situations. For example, there might only be one place for iron on the map, you might need to focus your labourers on something else, you might need to share the mines with your allies, etc. etc. Maybe I just want a small number of iron weapons to be made (from one mine) to support my leather/wooden troops. There are many reasons why you might only have one iron mine, and I always find it's hard to get an even mix of weapons/armour.
I do not think the player should have to manage this himself, you should be able to order 999 crossbows and 999 armour and expect to get 50% of each. (in my opinion) The only other option that really works is to order 10 at a time from each building, then order another 10 when all the orders have been completed. But this is an excessive amount of management when I'm probably busy fighting.
I think this shows there is a problem, I'm just not sure how we can fix it... :(

I tested this map in KaM TPR, and similarly almost all of the iron went to the weapon smithy, no armour was made at all. (64 swords; 4 armour) So the Remake is already as good as (or slightly better than) KaM. Maybe it doesn't need fixing in that case... (I thought this was not a problem in TPR)
Good example. I've tested with 2nd Smeltery, but the production was still limited and I end up with ~4/3 ratio. I agree that player should not micro-management this. We need to discuss it in ICQ.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Yahoo Messenger: garnuthorn

Post 29 Dec 2011, 21:36

Very strange... The music is supposed to fade out when peacetime ends and the "peacetime is over" sound effect plays for a few seconds, then it should fade back in once that sound stops. It works fine for me, I can't reproduce your problem :(
Were you playing with the sound effect volume at zero? I tried it like that and the sound music still resumed after the sound had finished (even though it was at zero volume) I've now made music fading not occur when the sound effect volume is at zero because that's a bit confusing. (I guess some people want to turn the sound effects off) Have you deleted your Sounds folder or changed any of the WAV files in there? That could cause an issue.
My only other idea is that the file format you used confused the music library and it failed to resume properly. But that sounds very unlikely.

Thanks for reporting this issue.
Lewin.
P.S. In the original situation you reported with peacetime, when does the music come back? After the victory/defeat sound effect? When you returned to the menu? (you said "after the game is over", I just wanted to check what you meant by that)
Wel, I am very sure I play with sound effects turned on. The music resumed after I returned to the menu, too. My sound card is Creative's SoundBlaster xfi Fatal1ty, a very good sound card right now for gaming. None of the sound files are modified or missing, as well. Do I have to modify some particular music selection list when I add music to the game? If so, that might actually do something, to the effect of the game attempting to go back to music it doesn't know about and hanging the media player for the game, ending music for a bit. There was one thing when I disabled music and put it back on that it went back to the first song that might have allowed the music to restart, but only restart at the menu.

Edit: Wel, I tested with the map, nothing wrong; maybe it is just a fluke. Something that did occur to me was the music I added have long filenames, if that's any recourse. I'll test again with multiple instances of the game running, once, with peace time.

2nd Edit: Local game for peace time bug test proved no reproduce. Same variables used.
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 30 Dec 2011, 00:04

lowering the sound quality should work
I had to do it for skyrim and some other games.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 30 Dec 2011, 02:57

Sounds like some rare conditions caused a bug. Was it right near the end of the track when peacetime ended and it faded out? (I know you probably won't remember a detail like that :P) Or near the start?
I've done some tests and looked at the code but I can't see any flaws.
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

Post 30 Dec 2011, 04:05

I'll just try to remember the details more when and if it happens next. Could've just been my system configuration. MIght have been network lag as I've yet to find someone to host here in the USA.

On another note, with the release just before r2736, I was playing missing TSK 7, the one against Walheim, and I had just raised an army to take out the rest of his forces and defeated what little else he had. I dropped the first tower (third since the other two towers protected the isle) with archers and the second (fourth) was half way in my view, half unexplored, so when I was dropping it flames flickered on the outside and, from the look of it, on the other side of the tower, when I dropped it and finally explored where it was, it was still there, complete with another recruit in it, which prompted me to just take the hail of stones and end the mission with my troops.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 30 Dec 2011, 11:37

Hey I test the whole KaM campaign, now.
I´m finished Mission 2 (TSK),yesterday.
The bug i saw there is, that only the horses from the AI comes and attack. The milita(who normaly should attack,too.) only go 2meters and than the go back to there AI Defense Position.(So this is normaly are very tiny attack now :D )
I view the whole Replay from the mission, so i saw this bug. Very nice feature :P
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 30 Dec 2011, 12:47

@Garnu_Thorn: So you are saying you destroyed the tower (while it was half visible) then when you walked there it appeared again? That sounds completely impossible given the way it's coded. Did you know there are 3 towers in the final base in mission 7? Are you sure it wasn't just the 3rd tower you noticed, rather than a reappeared 2nd one?

@pawel95: Yes the AI has some bugs and won't behave properly. Thanks for testing!
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 30 Dec 2011, 13:45

No problem, but one question. Is this really about the AI problem.
It looks like a script error, that says that the militas should attack (X/Y) in x Times but only if they have more than x militas. So they go two meters and go than to the defense position, because they have only 10 militas?! I had the same problem in one of my map a few years ago. Or is this, like you say, really only the problem of the AI!?

EDIT: Ok, now i think it is really a general AI problem. haha I want to play now Mission 3, but the same problem. 6 militas came to me. That was it :lol: :mrgreen: The other 100 people stand there and drink tea haha Ok, i think I will continue the test of campaign after a Update :D
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

Post 30 Dec 2011, 21:31

@Garnu_Thorn: So you are saying you destroyed the tower (while it was half visible) then when you walked there it appeared again? That sounds completely impossible given the way it's coded. Did you know there are 3 towers in the final base in mission 7? Are you sure it wasn't just the 3rd tower you noticed, rather than a reappeared 2nd one?
Well, here, I'll make a map to simulate the effect. And no, that wasn't the third tower. On the whole map, I destroyed six towers, one of them due to "respawning" from a glitch.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 30 Dec 2011, 22:26

Well, here, I'll make a map to simulate the effect. And no, that wasn't the third tower. On the whole map, I destroyed six towers, one of them due to "respawning" from a glitch.
Thank you, please send it to me when you've made it. (or you could send a save of mission 7 before the bug occurs)
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

Post 31 Dec 2011, 05:39

Thank you, please send it to me when you've made it. (or you could send a save of mission 7 before the bug occurs)
Wel, the bad news is I feel this is not a bug in the engine; the good news is I found the problem. Open TSK mission 7 in the Remake once with Krom's Mission editor and click on one of Walheim's last of buildings you destroy to quick open that AI's listing for that building, especially a watchtower. Look at how many watchtowers there are; I found four, with one on top of another giving me the instance problem. Problem solved.

Edit:I though about it for a minute, and checked the original KaM TSK files and found the same thing.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 01 Jan 2012, 06:31

You're completely right. It turns out that when a house is placed from the script, there are no checks to see whether it CAN be placed. So you could actually place houses on top of mountains, in the water, partially on top of each other, etc. I guess nobody noticed this before because most of the KaM missions don't do this.
But this is not right, it should only place houses from the script if they are allowed to be placed there, according to the same rules as when you place them in-game. We can't assume that the mission scripts obey the rules.

Sorry for not believing you at first, and thanks for exposing this bug. I'll fix it :)
<<

batoonike

Warrior

Post 02 Jan 2012, 18:57

Theres some glitch when alt-tabbing out of KaM with r2736, still. I'm using windows 7. Sometimes when I click on KaM on taskbar, the window comes back but the buttons don't function in the main menu. Sometimes the window comes back but when I click anywhere, mouse actually clicks in the window that was open before I restored KaM. So KaM comes back, I click somewhere and my browser does something, because it thinks I clicked in browser. And KaM minimizes.
Most of the time alt-tab works fine though.
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 02 Jan 2012, 19:29

is this supposed to happen??
Im pretty sure the woodcutter didn't plant it AFTER the laborer got there. Then, when the laborer dug it up it disapeared. o.o

Return to “Bugs”