Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Game can't fint sfx files - Linux

<<

Post 19 Feb 2015, 16:55

Game can't fint sfx files - Linux

Hey there!

Since i found out, that there is a remake of the old KaM game, i was totally addicted to the game. Propably like everybody else here.
You did a nice job, great!

However, i recently managed it to install the kamremake on my linux pc, with wine.
Everything worked fine apart from the sound. So i did some research on google and connected pulseaudio with wine.
Now i can hear the music but no sounds from the sfx directory.

I'm pretty sure there are not much people who play kam with linux, but let's give it a try.
Has anybody an idea, why it only loads the music?

Thanks in advance. :wink:
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 19 Feb 2015, 23:25

Re: Game can't fint sfx files - Linux

I have asked sado to make a post. He uses Wine and KaM ;)
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 20 Feb 2015, 00:12

I am "the Linux guy" here (and Nissarin too, if he's still around?), but I have no idea. Usually there might be a problem with OpenAL not installed (btw. what distribution are you using?) but in this case you seem to partially have sounds, so it can't be that one. Maybe wine needs some more codecs, to play the files from sfx?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 20 Feb 2015, 08:32

KaM Remake uses different libraries for playing music and sound effects. Sound effects use OpenAL, which needs to be installed separately. You could try running "oainst.exe" from the KaM Remake folder with Wine and following the instructions to install it. If that doesn't work you might need to look for a package that provides OpenAL for Wine.
<<

Post 20 Feb 2015, 12:38

I'm using the latest version of Arch Linux 64 bit.
Sound effects use OpenAL, which needs to be installed separately. You could try running "oainst.exe" from the KaM Remake folder with Wine and following the instructions to install it. If that doesn't work you might need to look for a package that provides OpenAL for Wine.
Well at first it didn't work at all (no sound and no music), but i installed lib32-openal because of my 64 bit machine and ran oalinst.exe.
After that i heared the music, but no sound.
Maybe wine needs some more codecs, to play the files from sfx?
I'm gonna try that this afternoon. ;)
Thanks for some replies!
<<

Post 20 Feb 2015, 18:28

Hello again.

I installed windowssoundcs.dll in wine and tried it again. Same outcome.
Then i opened winecfg and noticed that there was no output device selected, so i switched it to my USB headphones, but it didn't work neither.
After that i opened pulseaudio and switched the other audio outputs to 'off' and did a restart.
Now it works fine. Seems pulseaudio/alsa has some trouble with other audio devices/outputs.

However it works now. ;)

Return to “Bugs”