Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

KaM needs some New Art, Are there no Artists?

<<

cdfbr

Farmer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 26 Feb 2018, 12:25

KaM needs some New Art, Are there no Artists?

Ive noticed a sever lack of new game objects.

Is this due to the fact that no one can or wants to draw new Map Objects. Or that you are not accepting new art work for the game?

Im a not too bad pixel artist, I'm sure I could draw up some new Gfx, at least for the map. Maybe a few new rocks, a Sign post (could be made clickable in game), maybe some more broken wooden structures to decorate the map with?

I could take some of the buildings, and turn some of the frame work into destroyed buildings. That way you could make a destroyed looking town with the buildings burned down mostly.

I dont know how much time I have to donate however. But im sure I could contribute something?

I gotta go to work, let me know what the thoughts are around new GFX. Im sure this topic has come up before. So if this is just a repeating topic, feel free to delete this post :D

Edit* crap almost forgot!!

In order for me to do any work, could anyone provide me with the KaM gfx in bitmap format, or png? I have no time to figure out how to extract the gfx from the KaM game files. I mostly need the objects and buildings. I do not have enough time to draw characters, but I could still take a look. It might not be too bad. Once I remove all of the clothing and objects from a sprite and make a default one, It shouldn't be too hard to add all new outfits to them. It would just take so long to draw!
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 26 Feb 2018, 17:41

Re: KaM needs some New Art, Are there no Artists?

If you could provide some artwork examples, that would be much stronger "idea".
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

cdfbr

Farmer

Post 26 Feb 2018, 22:35

Urm... I dont have anything drawn for Kam. The other things I have drawn will look nothing like KaM :)

I would like to obtain some of the gfx files, I could work on somethings tonight and show you what I can do with them.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 27 Feb 2018, 00:40

I believe what you are looking for can be found in game by pressing F11 then Export Data -> Resources
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

cdfbr

Farmer

Post 27 Feb 2018, 01:26

Yeah ben thats it! thank you :)

Yeah i'm pretty sure I could cut & paste and redraw these gfx, to make new ones, It will just be a lot of work At first but once a get a system going, it wont be hard for me to produce new gfx. Ill see what I can come up with in the next few days and I will get back to this topic.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 27 Feb 2018, 04:37

Cool, I always look forward to new artwork :)
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 27 Feb 2018, 10:03

Yes, it would be great to see new gfx for objects.
I am still hope to complete my work to add new tiles, so new tiles are also appreciated.

Btw if you also want to export gfx data for units, then its better to do in new version, as they are exported as png, not as bmp (when export unit animation, via F11 -> Export data -> Unit anim).
In old version you can still export them from F11 -> Export data -> Resources -> Units.rx, but they are placed all in 1 folder (~10000 pngs), instead of different folders, when export via F11 -> Export data -> Unit anim.
<<

cdfbr

Farmer

Post 27 Feb 2018, 23:25

Yes, it would be great to see new gfx for objects.
I am still hope to complete my work to add new tiles, so new tiles are also appreciated.
Have you made new tiles yourself? Would you mind if I take a look at what you have made, So I don't start redrawing things which are already done?

Okay Its not much but its a start. I just had to fix that center bridge tile.
design.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 28 Feb 2018, 02:35

Can you show us what it looks like in game? You can swap out graphics by making a /sprites directory in your KaM remake folder. Place the new version of the file in your /sprites directory (keep the same name as the original file. So in this case place the edited version of 7_0025.png in .../Kamremake/sprites/7_0025.png)

Also, that tile is popular for use as a wall. Could you show a screenshot of that as well?
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 28 Feb 2018, 06:05

Good start!

Although new variant looks less deep, which is not very good IMO.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

cdfbr

Farmer

Post 28 Feb 2018, 11:58

Can you show us what it looks like in game? You can swap out graphics by making a /sprites directory in your KaM remake folder. Place the new version of the file in your /sprites directory (keep the same name as the original file. So in this case place the edited version of 7_0025.png in .../Kamremake/sprites/7_0025.png)

Also, that tile is popular for use as a wall. Could you show a screenshot of that as well?
Im going to have to try and do that later when I get home from work. That way I will be able to see the tiles I am drawing in the game itself. Which I was not doing when I edited that tile.
SS.PNG
Good start!

Although new variant looks less deep, which is not very good IMO.
I thought after I got done with it that I could have made it pop out more. But I was pretty tired, I worked almost none stop for 8 hours yesterday with no breaks at my real job .Its been a long while since I actually put effort into my pixel art. Im hoping more this weekend I will have more time to really sit down and do some stuff and make it look good :)

If you notice on the third screenshot I added a Red line bellow the bridge where I could Draw / Add a rounded bridge bottom, which might help make it look a bit better. I dont know yet, I would have to draw it, then put it in game and see what it looks like.

But yeah When I do what ben said later, and I am able to see what they look like in game, I will be able to better deter main how to draw them.

Btw, I use no speical programs, I started pixel art when I was 14, using mspaint, and I still use MsPaint. If I tried to draw any of this from scratch. I wouldn't be able to. But I can take premade gfx and edited them. Or change them. And I'm pretty good at it :) drawing new houses from pre existing ones is also possible. This will also help to keep anything I make looking the same as the original ones.

* Edit Important *

Could anyone help me out and tell me how I can export the building graphics. The Graphics which are used when building, the buildings. Where you see each piece of wood get built one by one. I cant figure out which export option would let me do this.

I have "Houses.rx" and "HouseAnim" exported, But I cannot find those pictures.

I can of course cut out and redraw the wood from the finished wooded framed versions of the buildings.

Please get back to me asap.

I wanted to try and make a Upgraded version of either the wood cutter or the carpenter. So if added in game, you upgrade the building, and then if there's enough space around the building to upgrade, construction starts. The building should shut down for this period. The serfs would bring the required amount of stone or wood needed for the upgrade it.

When the builders start building it. I will have the graphics drawn so that new wooden supports get drawn in around the original building. Which they then build normally and then the finished part of the building gets built. That's another thing, when they build the Colored Part of the buildings. They get draw piece by piece. How do I obtain them? Save me a lot of work....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Rey

KaM Remake Developer

Post 01 Mar 2018, 07:32

Glad we have new pixel art master here !
That is awesome, we needed someone who can help with small art improvements and fixes for a very long. Hope you will help us with some of these problems!
Have you made new tiles yourself? Would you mind if I take a look at what you have made, So I don't start redrawing things which are already done?
No, it was made by other people.
I put new tiles in the attachment file. Some of them I added into my WIP branch for tiles, some need some small fixes and some has to be reviewed. Also there is stone - to something transition template.

If you want I can send you alpha version, where you can put all of these new tiles onto the map. Its an alpha stage cause there are some issues, that has to be fixed, but they are not related to new tiles actually.
Could anyone help me out and tell me how I can export the building graphics. The Graphics which are used when building, the buildings. Where you see each piece of wood get built one by one. I cant figure out which export option would let me do this.
I can of course cut out and redraw the wood from the finished wooded framed versions of the buildings.
I'll try to figure it out soon.
IIRC there is no different sprites for each build step. There is one sprite for wooden skeleton of the house and one sprite for fully builf house. Building steps (woodne or stone) rendered via masks on these two sprites. But I did not find it yet where those masks could be found. @Krom could you help us?

Still the concept has to be approved first. I suppose you want these changes to be in the game, you are not making them just for fun. So you will be upset if we do not approve them finally and all your work will be for nothing.
Lets think about it first, then do :wink:

Btw we had another pixel art task for a looong time - snow houses. There were partially finished, but by different authors, so they looks a bit odd because of different painting style. Can't attach snow houses archive here (> 2Mb) here is a Link: https://puu.sh/zy70m/d3e0c66b87.rar
<<

cdfbr

Farmer

Post 01 Mar 2018, 22:55

Glad we have new pixel art master here !
That is awesome, we needed someone who can help with small art improvements and fixes for a very long. Hope you will help us with some of these problems!
No, it was made by other people.
I put new tiles in the attachment file. Some of them I added into my WIP branch for tiles, some need some small fixes and some has to be reviewed. Also there is stone - to something transition template.

If you want I can send you alpha version, where you can put all of these new tiles onto the map. Its an alpha stage cause there are some issues, that has to be fixed, but they are not related to new tiles actually.
Im currently using "kam2018-01-19 (Beta 8k+ r8355)" for editing. I did what ben said, and I can use the "/sprites/" folder to replace them.

This alpha version, it will let me add the graphics in rather then replacing them? Also you can send it to me, I will try it out. Send me the link in Private Message.
I'll try to figure it out soon.
IIRC there is no different sprites for each build step. There is one sprite for wooden skeleton of the house and one sprite for fully builf house. Building steps (woodne or stone) rendered via masks on these two sprites. But I did not find it yet where those masks could be found. @Krom could you help us?

Still the concept has to be approved first. I suppose you want these changes to be in the game, you are not making them just for fun. So you will be upset if we do not approve them finally and all your work will be for nothing.
Lets think about it first, then do :wink:

Btw we had another pixel art task for a looong time - snow houses. There were partially finished, but by different authors, so they looks a bit odd because of different painting style. Can't attach snow houses archive here (> 2Mb) here is a Link: https://puu.sh/zy70m/d3e0c66b87.rar
Yeah so they used masks', I always thought that they had drawn all those graphics. Ill take a look around and maybe I can find them. That might be what all of those other blue tiles are when you export?

Yes of course the concept would have to be approved. And what better way to convince them to have upgraded buildings, Is to have the Graphics done for atleast one building, maybe 2. Just to test it out. Maybe I could talk to someone.

Theres So much to do however, and I do not want to get overwhelmed so I want to take it slow and focus on one thing at a Time. So if you want, Talk to whom ever this may concern and find out what is the most important things to draw first, or fix. That way It will help keep me motivated, Knowing I will get to see my art included with the game. That way I know people will get to appreciate the work I do :D

Thanks for the help everyone, Btw.
<<

cdfbr

Farmer

Post 02 Mar 2018, 03:09

Sorry For the Double Post...

This was pretty simple to do. Also It still takes up the same amount of space as the Normal Inn. Room for 4 More People To Eat, Allowing You to Have 10 People Eating At once. :)

There might be some work I need to do to adjust it so that when the game places the people, it looks right. And I still need someone to figure out the mask files, so I can create the masks.
Upgraded_Inn.PNG
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 02 Mar 2018, 04:53

Nice to see that you're able to patch together convincing graphics. Are you up to making a whole new building yet?

Return to “General / Questions”