Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Unneeded AI advantage

<<

tonc5

Blacksmith

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 22 Mar 2017, 00:55

Unneeded AI advantage

I was playing through the kam campaigns, mainly refinishing TSK and a I realized that the AI always has practically unlimited food even when it could support itself with no problem. For exp in TSK level 14 player 4 (the players ally) has an unlimited amount of both bread and wine even though it could easily manage itself with the bakery and vineyard provided. In level 4 of the TSK the first opponent you need to deal with has 2 bakers. That should be than well over enough bread to support its small settlement, yet it still has an unlimited source of bread. The biggest mind blow i had was when the village that builds itself from scratch much like the player must in TSK level 9 still gets an unlimited source of food. So my question is, why does the enemy AI get unfair and in most cases unneeded food advantages?
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

Post 22 Mar 2017, 04:09

Re: Uneeded AI advantage

If player plays the game fairly, he never knows how much food AI has. So having it at 65k is a safenet, incase anything goes wrong.
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

tonc5

Blacksmith

Post 30 Mar 2017, 01:15

If player plays the game fairly, he never knows how much food AI has. So having it at 65k is a safenet, incase anything goes wrong.
Okay, then why does the builder town in level 9 of TSK get unlimited food? Its supposed to build itself from scratch right? So it should need to sustain itself as well.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 30 Mar 2017, 02:24

Ideally, yes, but the AI takes well over an hour to get his base running. By mission 9, the game should be getting challenging. Unfortunately the AI is not developed enough to accomplish this so it's given some handicaps to compensate.

AI is very difficult to program. For example, even huge companies like Paradox and Microsoft (among many others I'm sure) have given AI handicaps and various advantages over the player in order to give the player a real challenge. The Remake was built by only a handful of people, so you must not expect too much in terms of advanced AI
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

cmowla

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 30 Mar 2017, 15:52

Very well said and insightful, Ben!
Invasion won: with 0 losses and without save reloads|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Border of Life Co-op Won in 1h33m55s|The Official KaM Speedrun Page
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 30 Mar 2017, 16:19

Ideally, yes, but the AI takes well over an hour to get his base running. By mission 9, the game should be getting challenging. Unfortunately the AI is not developed enough to accomplish this so it's given some handicaps to compensate.

AI is very difficult to program. For example, even huge companies like Paradox and Microsoft (among many others I'm sure) have given AI handicaps and various advantages over the player in order to give the player a real challenge. The Remake was built by only a handful of people, so you must not expect too much in terms of advanced AI
Indeed, well written.

Except that "handicap" means the opposite of what you wrote... as an US citizen you ain't gettin' away with that. :@

NOW BEN DOVER FOR SOME SCOLDING! (6) (6) (6) (6) (6) (6) (6)

(Just kidding :P )
(Handicap does actually mean the opposite of advantage though :mrgreen: )
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 30 Mar 2017, 22:46

Re: Unneeded AI advantage

Very well said and insightful, Ben!
Thank you :)
Except that "handicap" means the opposite of what you wrote... as an US citizen you ain't gettin' away with that.
Not in this context. "Handicap" --especially in the context of video games-- can mean bonus given to someone who is weaker/disadvantaged in some way in order to make a level playing field.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 30 Mar 2017, 23:12

Re: Unneeded AI advantage

Except that "handicap" means the opposite of what you wrote... as an US citizen you ain't gettin' away with that.
Not in this context. "Handicap" --especially in the context of video games-- can mean bonus given to someone who is weaker/disadvantaged in some way in order to make a level playing field.
Wut?
The dictionary doesn't mention this, but the wikipedia page does... weird. :O
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Return to “General / Questions”