Playing online.

<<

Ix10n10n

Serf

Post 28 Mar 2015, 22:48

Playing online.

Hello KaM Community.

I have a little problem.

I started playing KaM when I was 6, right after it was released first (With the awesome looking package and the beautiful CD x))

I see myself as an expirienced player when it comes to KaM, I have absolutely no problems at all in TSK and did all 20 missions the old fashioned way and in many many other ways.
I recreated all maps of TSK in Age of Empires 2 and actually simulated KaM with AoE2 lol ...

KaM is one of the games which represent my childhood and it is a game that is totally dear to me.

To my actual question.

I always watch the shoutcasts and see how people play this game and to be honest I am totally scared to play against those players even though I am a total nerd when it comes to KaM.

Is there a possibility to lift my fear or a way to train building an effective city fast? I always played KaM for fun and it kind of stresses me out when I have to actually go all starcraft 2 in KaM,
but there are tons of videos which explain how to play SC2 to be better and how you can be better, but no real KaM "Tutorial".

To make it short: What can I do to gain the right or lift my fear (That other people wont judge me and dont want to play with me anymore) to play KaM multyplayer?

I would appreciate anything x)
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 28 Mar 2015, 22:56

Re: Playing online.

Hello KaM Community.

I have a little problem.

I started playing KaM when I was 6, right after it was released first (With the awesome looking package and the beautiful CD x))

I see myself as an expirienced player when it comes to KaM, I have absolutely no problems at all in TSK and did all 20 missions the old fashioned way and in many many other ways.
I recreated all maps of TSK in Age of Empires 2 and actually simulated KaM with AoE2 lol ...

KaM is one of the games which represent my childhood and it is a game that is totally dear to me.

To my actual question.

I always watch the shoutcasts and see how people play this game and to be honest I am totally scared to play against those players even though I am a total nerd when it comes to KaM.

Is there a possibility to lift my fear or a way to train building an effective city fast? I always played KaM for fun and it kind of stresses me out when I have to actually go all starcraft 2 in KaM,
but there are tons of videos which explain how to play SC2 to be better and how you can be better, but no real KaM "Tutorial".

To make it short: What can I do to gain the right or lift my fear (That other people wont judge me and dont want to play with me anymore) to play KaM multyplayer?

I would appreciate anything x)
For begining play with AI its good for beginers...
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Mar 2015, 03:28

Welcome to the community, Ix10n10n (is there an actual name I can call you? I'm not sure what this username is all about :D)! I enjoyed reading your story. Yours is a similar one to mine and many others I am sure. Since KaM was, for practical purposes, strictly single player for so many years, I believe that players began to grow over confident in their abilities, as defeating AI doesn't require as much game knowledge as it takes knowledge about how to manipulate the coded behaviors (see Cmowla's videos for example ;)) Therefore, when seeing KaM Remake online videos, players such as yourself are overwhelmed by what is possible!

I am working a bit on my YouTube channel in hopes that it will bring new players to the game, I've already been somewhat successful in helping people get better, but I want to do more. I want to release a video of "How to be a pro in KaM in five minutes." An exaggeration, of course, but it will cover a lot of small details that will get your game better quickly.

For now; though, the best thing to do is watch replays. Since KaM is rather slow paced, you have an advantage of being able to follow what players do rather easily. You'll also need good opponents to play against. You'll never get better by playing people who are worse than you. Please join the offical KaM Teamspeak server at kamts.eu and you'll find a good environment for playing games :)

I never really answered your question though. You want to know how to make yourself more confident going into multiplayer. Well I recommend this: Play the map Golden Cliffs or Shadow Realm by yourself (single player mutiplayer if you will) and by 60 minutes, try to obtain more than 50 quality troops (no militia). A good army would be 20 bowmen 6-10 knights and 15 sword fighters. If you can reach that army then you are on your way to becoming a very strong player. A guideline for getting this army would be:

-Have gold production running before 17 minutes. Have 2nd gold smelter before you run out of gold comepletely
-Have 2nd sawmill running before you run out of beginning timber supplies
-For every sawmill you have, make sure you have at least one woodcutter who is "cutting." By "cutting" I mean a woodcutter who is able to actually produce tree trunks. If your sawmills ever stop working, even for a minute, you are wasting valuable time. Generally, you should have 2x woodcutters for how many sawmills you have.
-Have iron armor/weapon production running by 30:00. By this I mean your first armory worksop should be running before 30:00. How you continue your iron production is up to you, but I recommend watching replays to see how others do it.
-Farms! How you build your farms is up to you. Some players make them earlier and have later iron, some make iron really fast and compromise on farms. Generally your first farm should go up right after your sawmill. Depending on starting food, you may need to focus more on producing food, but generally you want to obtain 5 farms, two swine farms, and a stable by 42:00ish. Eventually make 7 farms to support an additional swine farm and a mill + bakery.
-Tannery running by 40:00. Your leather and wooden weapon production should be running before 50:00. I like having 4 sawmills, 3 armory worksops, and 3 weapon workshops by 55:00.
-Two schools and recruit production running by 43:00.

This is a basic build for a standard army. You are not limited to this, but it is fairly easy to do. If you have trouble making food, then you can skip the stable and go 4 pig farms with 6 farms. This should make it easy to not starve as long as you have some fish, but you'll lack horses, which can be killer.

And remember to have fun! I know you hear it all the time, but it is a game and it is meant to be fun :) Don't let the competitive spirit make you lose sight of that <3
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 29 Mar 2015, 05:19

if you want to improve your skills i got an old video for you to get started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkdtPWPSUZo . i recommend watching the basic building and town efficiency tutorial if you are 100% new to kam. if you really want to improve i recommend joining kamts.eu and play with players there. hell i did not play for a while but i can teach you a few crucial things you need in order to improve a lot. and if you really want it i can make a new build myselfi could teach you.
Last edited by dicsoupcan on 13 Sep 2021, 14:03, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed Link
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Ix10n10n

Serf

Post 29 Mar 2015, 20:00

Welcome to the community, Ix10n10n (is there an actual name I can call you? I'm not sure what this username is all about :D)! I enjoyed reading your story. Yours is a similar one to mine and many others I am sure. Since KaM was, for practical purposes, strictly single player for so many years, I believe that players began to grow over confident in their abilities, as defeating AI doesn't require as much game knowledge as it takes knowledge about how to manipulate the coded behaviors (see Cmowla's videos for example ;)) Therefore, when seeing KaM Remake online videos, players such as yourself are overwhelmed by what is possible!

I am working a bit on my YouTube channel in hopes that it will bring new players to the game, I've already been somewhat successful in helping people get better, but I want to do more. I want to release a video of "How to be a pro in KaM in five minutes." An exaggeration, of course, but it will cover a lot of small details that will get your game better quickly.

For now; though, the best thing to do is watch replays. Since KaM is rather slow paced, you have an advantage of being able to follow what players do rather easily. You'll also need good opponents to play against. You'll never get better by playing people who are worse than you. Please join the offical KaM Teamspeak server at kamts.eu and you'll find a good environment for playing games :)

I never really answered your question though. You want to know how to make yourself more confident going into multiplayer. Well I recommend this: Play the map Golden Cliffs or Shadow Realm by yourself (single player mutiplayer if you will) and by 60 minutes, try to obtain more than 50 quality troops (no militia). A good army would be 20 bowmen 6-10 knights and 15 sword fighters. If you can reach that army then you are on your way to becoming a very strong player. A guideline for getting this army would be:

-Have gold production running before 17 minutes. Have 2nd gold smelter before you run out of gold comepletely
-Have 2nd sawmill running before you run out of beginning timber supplies
-For every sawmill you have, make sure you have at least one woodcutter who is "cutting." By "cutting" I mean a woodcutter who is able to actually produce tree trunks. If your sawmills ever stop working, even for a minute, you are wasting valuable time. Generally, you should have 2x woodcutters for how many sawmills you have.
-Have iron armor/weapon production running by 30:00. By this I mean your first armory worksop should be running before 30:00. How you continue your iron production is up to you, but I recommend watching replays to see how others do it.
-Farms! How you build your farms is up to you. Some players make them earlier and have later iron, some make iron really fast and compromise on farms. Generally your first farm should go up right after your sawmill. Depending on starting food, you may need to focus more on producing food, but generally you want to obtain 5 farms, two swine farms, and a stable by 42:00ish. Eventually make 7 farms to support an additional swine farm and a mill + bakery.
-Tannery running by 40:00. Your leather and wooden weapon production should be running before 50:00. I like having 4 sawmills, 3 armory worksops, and 3 weapon workshops by 55:00.
-Two schools and recruit production running by 43:00.

This is a basic build for a standard army. You are not limited to this, but it is fairly easy to do. If you have trouble making food, then you can skip the stable and go 4 pig farms with 6 farms. This should make it easy to not starve as long as you have some fish, but you'll lack horses, which can be killer.

And remember to have fun! I know you hear it all the time, but it is a game and it is meant to be fun :) Don't let the competitive spirit make you lose sight of that <3
Thanks :) I just tried to do my best on Gold Cliffs position 2 (upper right corner) after i watched the video dicsoupcan made and made for my first try 10 Swordsmen and 30 Bowmen by 1:00:00 ... nothing big but im happy I did it befor 1:00:00 ...

I usually need more time to go into weapon production because my usual playstyle is eco first army last. I just have to think differently. Thanks for your answeres. I really was happy to hear from so many.

Nice community :)
<<

Szeyu

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 28 Mar 2016, 23:00

How to be a pro in KaM in five minutes? I'm interested! ;)
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 30 Mar 2016, 19:04

KaM is alive.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

Leeuwgie

Sword Fighter

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 30 Mar 2016, 19:27

KaM is alive.
That's true. People like you and I keep it alive. 2 shoutcast have just been added on youtube so...Nice rush btw on vengeance Jero :D. Just when you think you seen it all you still managed to suprise me :D
No matter what, always keep smiling ~ Bassie (from Bassie & Adriaan)

Return to “General / Questions”