Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

KaM Story

<<

Vatrix

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 15 Dec 2014, 11:47

KaM Story

Hi, like you may know I just fixed The Shattered Kingdom campaign and I want to make a full changelog. My first problem started when I was describing colors - I do not know all story characters names. What I know: Lauenburg (Yellow), Walheim (Blue),Moorbach (Purple), Lothar (Black). Are there names for the others? Like that green guy, who first appeared in mission 12 or barbarian leaders from mission 8. And does player himself have story name?
I fixed The Shattered Kingdom and The Peasants Rebellion here!
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 15 Dec 2014, 13:51

Re: KaM Story

Well the barbarians are barbarians :D They could be called the barbarians "in the north."

The green faction never got a name, however there is a reasonable theory that green is supposed to be affiliated with Moorbach. In TSK, Moorbach is the city to raze in TSK 5, who uses the purple banner. Now, all lines of mission "script/code" for original KaM has to start with an exclamation point, for example: !SET_PLAYER_COLOR (or something, I can't remember the exact syntax!). Anyway, in TSK 5, there is a line of code for the "purple" player that is supposed to set his color to green. However, the exclamation point is missing, so the code doesn't do anything. If this was done by oversight or they just ended up going with the purple color...who knows?
Now you might ask if TSK 5 purple is supposed to be green, then what is purple doing in later missions, too? It would be unlikely that they kept using purple after an inital mistake, right? Perhaps, but if you look at the purple "leader" who is slain in the video following the completion of TSK 12, you will see a leader who is wearing a "Viking helmet." He also looks very barbaric. Johann von Moorbach was a scholar, so this doesn't seem to fit his character well. It was proposed that the purple player here is supposed to be affiliated with the barbarian chieftains...meh idk.

TL;DR: The green faction doesn't have a name. Tony (a very inactive member of the forum!) made some walkthroughs where he referred to the green faction as the "Imperial Guard" or something like that, in reference to the green faction appearing around the same time as Prince Lothar.

The player (red) is leading the armies of King Karolus. He is supposed to be "the player" who is referred to as "the new herald of the king."
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

Post 15 Dec 2014, 22:30

Thank you for detailed analysis of the story, I didn't expect that. So about Moorbach you're telling me that he has to be green and ???green??? has to be purple? I just looked at briefings and videos and it really makes sense, because at the end of mission 12 king executed some barbarian, but at the end of mission 15 (where you last encounter green) there's some knight-looking guy who is defeated by kings herald (probably?). So I'm now seriously thinking about changing colors like you suggested. But first I need more opinions about that. So more older community guys, what will you say about this?
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Dec 2014, 02:15

I say keep the colors as they are now. Liked I said, this is only a theory, and it is based on one that relies on one line of bad code.

Still, it's a lot of fun:)
<<

Vatrix

Council Member

Post 16 Dec 2014, 11:59

I say keep the colors as they are now. Liked I said, this is only a theory, and it is based on one that relies on one line of bad code.

Still, it's a lot of fun:)
But this is really nice and sophisticated theory. There is only one thing that can interfere with changing colors - purple and green colors are deep‑rooted within KaM players, so changing it after years would be bad idea. So I will leave them as they are now, like you said.

And about names: red - kings herold, green - I will stick with Tonys name - Imperial Guard. (But I think this really needs more reflection*)

BTW: I havent found that line of code you are speaking about :(

*not sure if reflection is right word for "thinking more about it"
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 16 Dec 2014, 21:31

I'll take a look and see if I can find the "code."

EDIT:

I tried looking for it, but mission 5 is corrupted in TPR (it was changed-- for some absurd reason-- to some sort of clone of TPR 6). I downloaded SR3 to get TSK5 back but the "broken code" isn't in this version.

I am very sure, like 90%, that there was this error in the original game, but I don't have TSK installed on my computer. I have the original TSK CD at home but I'm not sure if it still works. I'm out of town till the 18th, so I'll/we'll have to wait till then, unless someone can get me the original files....
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 19 Dec 2014, 20:10

Well the old CD of mine works, but unsurprisingly won't install on my windows. Not sure what to do now.
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 19 Dec 2014, 21:07

Well the old CD of mine works, but unsurprisingly won't install on my windows.
That's a shame. :(
Not sure what to do now.
Well, you could hope for a retrogamer with an old enough PC to install TSK and upload mission 5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Dec 2014, 16:12

Thanks, but alas I couldn't find it there either. I'm not going to give up...yet!

(You are sure this is from a TSK not TPR, right?)
<<

Esthlos

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 20 Dec 2014, 17:39

Thanks, but alas I couldn't find it there either. I'm not going to give up...yet!

(You are sure this is from a TSK not TPR, right?)
I am 100% sure it is from a TSK version.
Can't guarantee about it to be from an unmodified version though... it's from a "differently legit" version of TSK I downloaded a few years ago (never liked having to keep the CD in the driver :P ).

Ok... digged up the legit, vanilla, original, KaM TSK (100% sure), and installed it; here's its mission5.dat file:
(in its Properties, it reads "last modified: monday 7 september 1998, 15.43.42")
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Return to “General / Questions”