volcano valley(coop) ?Hellracer?

<<

gold1

Blacksmith

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 21 Jul 2014, 18:33

volcano valley(coop) ?Hellracer?

hey.

I'm a beginning map maker and scripter and i'm still working on my first SP map.

I like to play coop togheter wiht my brohter. However we found the maps from the campain converted for coop to easy.
Therefor modifeid volcano vally for my personal use. However if i can get the map good an balacend i maby want to upload it. But i'm not the creator(hellracer is) of the map.
I don't want to upload the map wihtout his permission, but i can't find hem anywhere.

i hope he will read this and send me an pm.

But in case he doesn't am i allowd to upload the map anyway??

greetings,

gold1
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 28 Jul 2014, 12:59

Re: volcano valley(coop) ?Hellracer?

hey.

I'm a beginning map maker and scripter and i'm still working on my first SP map.

I like to play coop togheter wiht my brohter. However we found the maps from the campain converted for coop to easy.
Therefor modifeid volcano vally for my personal use. However if i can get the map good an balacend i maby want to upload it. But i'm not the creator(hellracer is) of the map.
I don't want to upload the map wihtout his permission, but i can't find hem anywhere.

greetings,

gold1
Hmm, a pity no one answered you before. Maybe it's because this is a pretty difficult situation. If I were you I'd just wait for Hellracer to reply to your PM and with his permission you can always upload the map, of course. Otherwise it may come across as stolen, which is something you don't want. Other than that I don't think there's another option but to keep it using personally until you've made contact with Hellracer.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 28 Jul 2014, 13:42

hey.

greetings,

gold1
Hmm, a pity no one answered you before. Maybe it's because this is a pretty difficult situation. If I were you I'd just wait for Hellracer to reply to your PM and with his permission you can always upload the map, of course. Otherwise it may come across as stolen, which is something you don't want. Other than that I don't think there's another option but to keep it using personally until you've made contact with Hellracer.

but as far as i know, hellracer is not active anymore for a looooong time.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 29 Jul 2014, 09:00

I can't see why it would be a problem if you give the original author proper credit in the description etc.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Jul 2014, 09:10

I can't see why it would be a problem if you give the original author proper credit in the description etc.
That might be a solution, indeed.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Jul 2014, 15:40

Personally, I'd still be a little annoyed if someone used one of my (good) maps and didn't ask.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Jul 2014, 15:42

Personally, I'd still be a little annoyed if someone used one of my (good) maps and didn't ask.
That's because you're American.

just kidding, Ben.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Jul 2014, 15:44

Maybe. But I know it's not because I'm sado :P
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 29 Jul 2014, 16:06

For me personally if someone used my map and added something that is of high quality, I would be honored, that my work is considered good to continue on.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Jul 2014, 16:42

That's how we are different :D

Still, Hellracer is one of the best (aesthetically speaking) mapmakers. Chances are that most people can't make anything better than him anyway.
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 29 Jul 2014, 18:19

Well this guy just modified the behavior part of the map, not the terrain. Anyway... prohibiting modification of work unless explicitly specified doesn't make any sense, just slows down progress.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 29 Jul 2014, 19:11

Well this guy just modified the behavior part of the map, not the terrain. Anyway... prohibiting modification of work unless explicitly specified doesn't make any sense, just slows down progress.
Now you're on the dangerous side... Please define 'progress' in this sense?
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

Post 29 Jul 2014, 19:29

Well the original question is the best example. Someone added some functionality to a map by an other person. The map still has to be accepted by the map team (so if it was of bad quality and therefore making a bad impression for the original author it wouldn't get through). If he was not let to submit this modification just because someone else made the first "version" it would be rejecting a perfectly good map for petty reasons. NOTE: I assume very good quality of the modification and also that we are talking about maps in KaM, in a broader sense, this discussion would have to be much more complex.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 29 Jul 2014, 19:36

Ah, I see. Well, making your maps look as good as Hellracer's is not easy, so to assume that the quality is at least equal is quite something.
But the reason I replied was because it sounded like you thought that 'modification of maps from other people = progress'. I'm glad that turned out to be different. :)
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 29 Jul 2014, 19:55

The map still has to be accepted by the map team (so if it was of bad quality and therefore making a bad impression for the original author it wouldn't get through).
This isn't true. What if he just wants to upload his map to KaMRepos so others can download it?

Return to “General / Questions”