Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Powah academy: building

<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 06 Oct 2012, 18:57

Re: Powah academy: building

A guide like Sado wrote is nice but every map and every game is different and you will need to adapt your strategy to it. The main challenge for me is to keep a steady supply of timber so I can keep building, and later on I need even more timber so I can keep building AND produce weapons simultaneously.
At the start it is no problem at all to plant trees 'in the center' of your city. Since you want your butchers/bakeries close to your inn and storehouse and you want your farms further away, you don't need space there right away because you have to build farms first anyway. So you can plant some trees here and there, THEN set it at 'cut only', and when your farms/swine farms/mills are finished the trees have been cut or will be cut soon and you can build there again. This requires some experience (timing) though but it's worth it because you don't need to build long roads right away.
If there are many trees on a map it's easy, but some maps have less trees and then it is very useful to build ~2 woodcutters in an area without any trees, so a nice forest will be planted there. If you start with tree trunks in your storehouse but low timber, it might be a good idea to build 3 sawmills right at the start.
Also, many people build a woodcutter, cut all the trees there and then destroy it so they can have another building there. Personally I prefer (and I'm sure most people will disagree) to have it at 'cut only' for a while until you built there what you wanted to build and then set it at 'plant and cut' again. Mostly the woodcutter will find some space for some trees. Even if he can plant only 5 trees, that's still 10 timber. I prefer 10 timber over 5 tiles extra walking distance for my serfs (since you didn't destroy the woodcutter's hut you can't build a mill or a tannery there so you would have to build it further away).
Walking distance IS important though. For example: people tend to make their weapon workshops near their barracks. But if your timber production is at the other side of your town that's not efficient at all; it takes 2 timber to produce 1 weapon, so serfs will have to walk a long distance (sawmill --> weapon workshop) twice, and a short distance only once (weapon workshop --> barracks). It's better to have your weapon workshops close to your sawmills. The same applies to several other buildings like the bakery and especially the butchery: 1 pig = 3 sausages, so better build it close to your inn and storehouse so the serfs will have to walk the short distance three times and the long distance only once.
Obviously it would be ideal to have farms at the border of your town, then mills/swine farms, then butchery/bakery/tannery, etc. and same with woodcutters --> sawmills --> weapon workshops --> barracks, but that's not always possible.
As you see a lot of planning is involved but eventually everyone will find a strategy that works for him/her.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 06 Oct 2012, 19:49

Well that's a one step forward to what I wrote about woodcutters, but I don't think a newbie would manage with that. You said it yourself, you need good timing. I didn't really realize the walking distance is that important, that's a good point. I made the mistake of building all the military stuff near barracks, and food end producers near middle stage producers. Also I think I didn't say that I mean it's good to build woodcutters in a place where there's no trees - it's not that easy for a newbie to think about that... I edited my post to reflect this, and also wrote about the walking distance.
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 06 Oct 2012, 22:07

Sado, I'll share with you some useful info.

*For improving your production timing.
The growth rate of Corn & Trees is 11 minutes.
The growth rate of Wines is 8 minutes.

*For improving your city plannification.
Farmers & Fishers can work at a max distance of 9 tiles.
Stonemasons can work at a max distance of 12 tiles.

Farmers refer to Farms & Vineyards as well. In both jobs, the farmer has a big radius area of activity (towards fields).
Notice that Fishers work even being contructed quite far from the coast, so be sure they are as close to Inn as possible.

Woodcutters radius area is usually an ellipse, like 6| 9-- (6 tiles vertical/9 tiles horizontal).
If you build many woodcutters this will help how to distribute... But I recommend you to build x2 next to each other, since that way you can cover better the ellipse of trees-> 1 alone woodcutter will only plant 40% of area till starts cutting trees.
Last edited by Jeronimo on 07 Oct 2012, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 07 Oct 2012, 02:08

*For improving your city plannification.
Farmers & Fishers can work at a max distance of 9 tiles.
Stonemasons can work at a max distance of 12 tiles.
That's wrong. The distance they will work is no longer measured as a radius from their house, it's measured in the number of steps they will take (to stop them walking miles around a river or whatever). Here are the correct values:
Woodcutter: 10 steps
Farmer: 10 steps
Stonemason: 16 steps
Fisherman: 14 steps.

Stepping left/right/up/down costs 1, stepping diagonally costs sqrt(2) = ~1.41 (if you know Pythagoras' theorem you'll understand why)
This system naturally means they won't travel as far above their house because they first have to walk around it. But I think it's a fair system.
The steps start from the tile below their house entrance (walking out of the door does not count)
<<

Jeronimo

Knight

Post 07 Oct 2012, 06:09

That's wrong. The distance they will work is no longer measured as a radius from their house, it's measured in the number of steps they will take (to stop them walking miles around a river or whatever). Here are the correct values:
Woodcutter: 10 steps
Farmer: 10 steps
Stonemason: 16 steps
Fisherman: 14 steps.
The steps start from the tile below their house entrance (walking out of the door does not count)
When it changed? In this lastest 5th release?
In any case, your correction is appreciated, because will help sado to be improve his skills. :)
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 07 Oct 2012, 06:40

When it changed? In this lastest 5th release?
In any case, your correction is appreciated, because will help sado to be improve his skills. :)
Yes, in all the RCs and r4001 they have used number of steps rather than a radius. In RC3 I increased the range of all the units slightly because the stonemason in TSK 11 would not mine away all the stone to reach the human player because he had to walk around his house now.
<<

Bludmaster

Bowman

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 31 Aug 2014, 17:55

Wow i didnt even know about this part of forum xDDD
<<

Student

Post 31 Aug 2014, 23:37

More this stuff boyz!