Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Register  •  Login

Hello!

<<

Soldado con espada

User avatar

Lance Carrier

Posts: 64

Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 14:31

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 05 Apr 2015, 14:37

Hello!

Hi!

I played this game since I was 8, and I was really happy to discover this remake a couple of years ago...
Multiplayer stresses me a little bit :mrgreen: , but I will probably stick around reading the news here.
<<

Tiank

User avatar

Knight

Posts: 592

Joined: 15 Sep 2013, 13:11

Location: Poland

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 05 Apr 2015, 15:46

Re: Hello!

Hi there!

Don't be so worried about multiplayer, I felt the same way when I first discovered Remake ;). It takes some time to learn how to play it, but it's really worth it! I recommend you start playing on 1x speed and 60 PT settings, as it's the best way to learn how to manage everything imo.

Here are some helpful videos:
Building tutorial
Ben's shoutcast topic
KaM's shoutcast topic

Enjoy your stay here!
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Soldado con espada

User avatar

Lance Carrier

Posts: 64

Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 14:31

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 05 Apr 2015, 15:57

Re: Hello!

Thank you for the help! Who knows, I might try :)
<<

Soldado con espada

User avatar

Lance Carrier

Posts: 64

Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 14:31

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 08 Apr 2015, 18:59

Re: Hello!

Yay, I found the most appropriate avatar :D
<<

Soldado con espada

User avatar

Lance Carrier

Posts: 64

Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 14:31

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Apr 2015, 16:18

Re: Hello!

Well, after being defeated by the IA in Leather Wars I dowgraded my level to Beginner. 18 years a beginner, that's sad :lol:
<<

cmowla

User avatar

Knight

Posts: 403

Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 19:59

Location: United States

KaM Skill Level: Expert

Post 12 Apr 2015, 16:35

Re: Hello!

Soldado con espada wrote:Well, after being defeated by the IA in Leather Wars I dowgraded my level to Beginner. 18 years a beginner, that's sad :lol:
With 18 years of playing KaM, I'm sure you can quickly learn how to play in a new manner. (I've played this game on and off for 16 years: you beat me!) As far as I know, people on this site do not take KaM skill level seriously anyway.

Despite that I have never played multiplayer, I believe that if you do indeed have skills, it shouldn't take long to adapt and start winning. So don't be so hard on yourself. :wink:
Invasion and Lava Valley with 0 losses|Invasion (without saves)|TSK 20 in 4.47 minutes|Northern Islands I Co-op in 1.71 hours
What makes me an Expert isn't my skill in of itself but my desire to win big.
<<

Soldado con espada

User avatar

Lance Carrier

Posts: 64

Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 14:31

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 12 Apr 2015, 19:58

Re: Hello!

cmowla wrote:With 18 years of playing KaM, I'm sure you can quickly learn how to play in a new manner. (I've played this game on and off for 16 years: you beat me!) As far as I know, people on this site do not take KaM skill level seriously anyway.

Despite that I have never played multiplayer, I believe that if you do indeed have skills, it shouldn't take long to adapt and start winning. So don't be so hard on yourself. :wink:

Don't worry, I don't have a trauma :lol:
It's just that I am not used to making 40 soldiers before 1h while ignoring my citizens hunger... :mrgreen: I'll have to watch how to do this wisely.
<<

Tiank

User avatar

Knight

Posts: 592

Joined: 15 Sep 2013, 13:11

Location: Poland

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 12 Apr 2015, 20:21

Re: Hello!

Just watch some replays of top players, shoutcasts. In most games you can see, that it's possible to have both good PT army (60-80 high quality soldiers) and food supply to feed your citizens.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Esthlos

User avatar

Knight

Posts: 672

Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 16:02

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 Apr 2015, 14:50

Re: Hello!

Tiank wrote:Just watch some replays of top players, shoutcasts. In most games you can see, that it's possible to have both good PT army (60-80 high quality soldiers) and food supply to feed your citizens.

For what's worth, I think that this is a bad idea.
Sure, you get to improve fast, but is it really worth it?

In my opinion the best thing is to find, build, balance and refine your own strategy and your own way to play the game, for the journey is as important as the destination.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Ben

User avatar

Prince Lothar

Posts: 3801

Joined: 08 Jan 2009, 23:00

Location: United States of America GMT-5 (Standard Time)

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 Apr 2015, 14:57

Re: Hello!

What? How is learning from others not part of this "journey"? Besides, even if you'll improve a lot above random level, you won't be at, for example, Destah level simply by watching a few replays. It takes a long time to be as good as Destah!
#thunderposting #greentornado
<<

Tiank

User avatar

Knight

Posts: 592

Joined: 15 Sep 2013, 13:11

Location: Poland

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 14 Apr 2015, 15:01

Re: Hello!

Esthlos wrote:In my opinion the best thing is to find, build, balance and refine your own strategy and your own way to play the game, for the journey is as important as the destination.
Of course, I agree with you, but there is no need to reinvent the wheel. There is a "standard" of MP gaming, especially when it comes to 60 PT. Learning from others' replays will help to gain needed skill, skill to obtain good army and economy within PT limit. When you think you are able to achieve it on most maps, that's when the real journey begin. Discovering your own style of building, trying different wares' distribution, trying to micro buildiers more efficently, to make your town look as you want. There's no need to waste your time blindly trying different ways of setting up your economy, while there are already ways how to do it right.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Esthlos

User avatar

Knight

Posts: 672

Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 16:02

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 14 Apr 2015, 15:09

Re: Hello!

Tiank wrote:
Esthlos wrote:In my opinion the best thing is to find, build, balance and refine your own strategy and your own way to play the game, for the journey is as important as the destination.
Of course, I agree with you, but there is no need to reinvent the wheel. There is a "standard" of MP gaming, especially when it comes to 60 PT. Learning from others' replays will help to gain needed skill, skill to obtain good army and economy within PT limit. When you think you are able to achieve it on most maps, that's when the real journey begin. Discovering your own style of building, trying different wares' distribution, trying to micro buildiers more efficently, to make your town look as you want. There's no need to waste your time blindly trying different ways of setting up your economy, while there are already ways how to do it right.

The point I was trying to bring up is that in my opinion these "basic rules" should be experimented with too.
Partly because you may come up with something nobody else considered, partly because I think achieving this knowledge on your own will teach you the basics better than a replay would, for you'll see the consequences when something goes bad.

I'm not a fan of "reinventing the wheel" per se, but I do think that it can be a useful exercise.
Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way, even though it may seem silly or wrong. You must try! - John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"
<<

Jeronimo

User avatar

Knight

Posts: 694

Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 23:00

Post 14 Apr 2015, 15:12

Re: Hello!

You can improve when you got the theory in mind... stuff like "Have 5-6 labourers per each Quarry" are things that help you to make your own strategy... but you must know this standard theory of efficiency with base planning.
"Build 4 woodcutters in the first 20 minutes", "Block wares in storehouse so your serfs are more efficient", etc.
KaM Skill Level: Jeronimo
<<

Tiank

User avatar

Knight

Posts: 592

Joined: 15 Sep 2013, 13:11

Location: Poland

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 14 Apr 2015, 15:36

Re: Hello!

Jeronimo wrote:"Block wares in storehouse so your serfs are more efficient"
Yup, and after you know you should block wares to make you serfs be more efficent, then there's the question - should I block all wares or only some? What are the advantages and disadvantages of blocking some wares? When I should block timber and why? That's when experiments can take place, cos in this particular example, what you block depends of type of base you want to achieve.
Without honour, victory is hollow.
<<

Soldado con espada

User avatar

Lance Carrier

Posts: 64

Joined: 05 Apr 2015, 14:31

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 15 Apr 2015, 18:52

Re: Hello!

Blocking "all/many" wares O_o

Good to know, I'll try thinking about that next time xD

I haven't watched any replay yet, but bear in mind that after so many years playing, vices are very hard to get rid of (well, this might not be the best English expression xD), so it would be good to see how others approached it. I only have two examples, my cousin and I. Certainly we haven't found the best strategies on our own xD.

Return to General Chit Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest