Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Introduction topic

<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 10 Dec 2008, 00:23

Thanks for the welcome! I downloaded a mission, called "Two Old Friends". Those missions uploaded over there can only be played as a campaign mission?
Well because KaM is not designed to have custom missions, you must override an original mission.
Some of them replace the campaign, some of them use the single maps. So yeah, fan made missions will always override an original mission of sorts. (That is, at the moment. Later on we may be able to, if we get the source code and change it)

Heh, guess I'm one of the only people who started off with the full game :D. Actually I was at a friend as it was his birthday and he wanted to show off this great new game he had gotten as present. Been hooked ever since that day, I can't imagine what my parents felt like when I was constantly nagging them that I had to get it. Chirstmas was just a few weeks off so it didn't take long before I had my own precious copy :).
Oh and you were not the only one struggling, I still remember the joy when I beat the first mission... Eventually I did get up to the eighth mission were I got stuck for a couple of years.
Hey, I started with the full copy too! My two brothers (older and younger) and I used to get up at 6 AM every morning and my younger brother and I watched my older brother play it. For a while we had a race with some friends who also had it to see who could get through the campaign first. It was pretty close, but we both got stuck at mission 20. To this day neither of us have won it.
Lewin.
P.S. @Sir Peter: I like your signature, (the fishing thing) but it's not quite true in KaM. It should read "...Teach a man to fish and you feed him until the fish run out" :D
<<

Sir Peter

Rogue

Post 10 Dec 2008, 15:17

P.S. @Sir Peter: I like your signature, (the fishing thing) but it's not quite true in KaM. It should read "...Teach a man to fish and you feed him until the fish run out" :D
Ahahahaha!!! Laughs out loudly
xD Hehe, that's true in KaM!
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 25 Jul 2009, 11:27

Siegfried

Hi there,

my name is, or rather I call myself, Siegfried.

I don't want to tell too much about me. Maybe someone knows this name - your guess is somewhat right...

I started to play KaM TSK in 1998 and stopped in 2002. TPR I never really played except for a quick cheating through the missions. Since 2002 I am inactive but never lost contact to the developments made by all of you.

Currently I am writing a simulation code to describe the fights in KaM TSK, so I may need some help in expanding that code. First results are to come very soon. The most recent version of the code is written in matlab but I started to migrate to C# (greetings to harold :wink: ) to give it a proper frontend and for future expansions (maybe TPR).

If someone wants to contact me, my languages are german and english.

Siegfried
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 26 Jul 2009, 14:35

Hi,

Tell us more about your project - whats its aim and how do you make it work?
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 27 Jul 2009, 20:23

The overall goal of the project is to find out the best suiting formation of your army for battle. And, of course, to learn how to build a simulation code from scratch which could be useful for an upcoming PhD :wink:

The short-term goal was to re-build the battle behaviour of 1 vs 1 fights. This goal is achieved, that's why I dare to announce this code. The exact information how the battle system works come from the strategy book from Markus Betz which I own. I expect the results to be exact.

The long-term goal is to implement the legion's formations and their influence on the battle. For example I'm interestend in a situation where my opponent has an army of 9 Axemen in a 3x3 formation and I have some Knights. How many knights in what formation will give me the best result. To answer that, I'm currently expanding the code.
There's a problem in re-building the battle KI because I have no reliable information on that so I have to reason from observations.
I hope I can optimize the code so he give's me reasonable results.
<<

Categoricus

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 04 Nov 2009, 21:22

Greetings to all!
I'm Simonyi Gyula (yeah, Gyula is my given name :), as it always follows the surname in Hungary).

I'm 20 now and have been playing KaM since 1999 when my grandfather chose this game from a prospect. My hardest missions were 4, 11, and 14, especially 11 which I had to spend 2 years with. By the way, my grantfather and me always tried to solve missions by turns.
It was last year when I firstly tried multiplayer mode, though.
Other games I like you can find in its own topic.

I've been learning computer programming at university but find it too hard so I'm about to change level. During this one year I got to know more or less of BASH, C++, HTML, CSS and Ada languages. I've also learnt a little SQL and Pascal at grammar school.

I'm interested in theology, also love linguistics but better analitically than to learn many languages. I only speak English, a very little German and of course Hungarian. To my fictive country I made a dictionary too but the "m?tch" language only includes words of 4-5 topics, because later I stopped expanding it.

I'm glad to have joined another KaM fellowship, 5-6 years before I couldn't even dream of an Internet connection. During this last year I got to know a whale of information about KaM, meaning versions, errors, fan-made tools, remake tendeces and so on. And what's more important, I'm never thinking more of being alone with KaM!:D

I'm sorry that my intro is my 28th posting but I like reading topics from the top. :D
Primus Christianus Hungaricus Categoricus
<<

Juba

Barbarian

Post 09 Nov 2009, 21:11

Well, I've been spamming here for about six months now so it's time to tell something more about me. :P

My name is Jussi and I live in a small municipalaty (town, not city) called Ilmajoki, in western Finland. Ilmajoki is mostly countryside and covered by forest, fields and other nature areas (the whole area is about 600km?). Here lives about 12000 people, there's a center and about ten villages.

I'm sixteen years old and I've finished the comprehensive school (9 grades) and now I study at upper secondary school. I guess I'll study something related to computers or electrics at futre. I speak English, little bit German, averagely Swedish and of course Finnish.

I've actually two important sections in my life: sports and computers. Since I live almost in the middle of nowhere in village where lives about 400 people I don't have many friends so I have even more freetime to spend. I got quite many hobbies: running/jogging, orienteering, cross-country skiing (I hate Alpine skiing/downhill skiing btw :D ), reading and chess. I guess I'm one of the weirdest teenagers in my town.

My story with KaM (and partly with internet/computers) is here.

Now you know my something about my backgrounds.
<<

Alanbach

Laborer

Post 07 Jan 2010, 15:25

Hieverybody :D I`m new here.
I`m from Poland. Nice to be here and meet You all. :D I have to edit my message, because I see that You writing sth more about Yourself and mine message is a little bit too short :D

So I`m near 24 years old. As I said I`m from Poland. I speak Polish, English, German and French. In this year I also started to lear Italian.
I`m absolvent of music school in violin class but I also play guitar, piano & blockflute as well. I`m writing music & partitures for choirs & orch.

I love middle-ages so that`s why KAM is so close to my heart.
Cheers.
<<

Xmasjos

Farmer

Post 07 Jan 2010, 16:47

Ok. Now it's my turn!

I'm Jos from the Netherlands. I'm 18 years old and I'm following a study about computer science at Saxion-'HBO' in Enschede.

Because I'm European too, I know some languages too :p
- Dutch
- English
- German
- French
That's only because we learn them at school.

I know a few programming languages:
- C
- C++
- C#
- Java
- Delphi (has been to long ago, I don't know many things anymore)
- Much web-stuff like CSS, HTML, AJAX

I've been playing KaM since I was 8 or something like that. My father bought the game and he couldn't get through level2. When I played it a few times, I saw that I could pass level 2 with the starting army. Level 3 wasn't very hard, but I got stuck on level 4. I've tried that level for years, but I didn't manage to win it. When I was 15, I bought the game myself and I managed to win all missions in the summer holidays that year. Then I bought TPR, but I found many bugs in it, so I stopped playing. When I found this forum, I started playing again, so thanks for that! :)
<<

TRB

Farmer

Post 11 Jan 2010, 12:15

My name is Marcel and I'm from the Netherlands. I am 23 years old. I have played TSK when it came out in the Netherlands in 1998 and many times after. I also purchased TPR later on.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 17 Feb 2010, 04:38

Gyula Wrote:
My hardest missions were 4, 11, and 14, especially 11
Hey, same here! Only I hade problems with 5 and 8, too. I stopped playing at 15 and just watched my brother play from then on. My Grandpa couldn't get past level 11 and that's when he gave his game to my brother and I. I was about 5 at the time, so I hardly played, but I loved the game a lot. (never got past level 1 till I turn 6 though) When I was 6, I tried, but I had the hardest time finnishing 2. My brother got to 8 though, but could never finnish it. After many years, we got to 11. The fateful level my grandpa gave up on. I understood why. My brother and I thought it unjust for the enemy to have 2 towns (that is, we thought it was the same enemy, but it actually was 2 enemys w/ the same color). After beating 14 my brother tried many times to beat it, but never succeded. My brother and I realized we were not skilled enough to build a town fast enough so I cam up with a cunning trick, I sneeked a scout into the enemy base and killed their labors. Since they have no inn at the start they ended up starving. After 14 I just watched my brother play till he beat 20. I havn't finnished the TSK version, but I have beat the TSK campaign in the TPR version...

ANYWAY! off topic, but I had to tell Gyula this...

My info can be found in the Life... topic in Chit Chat
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Categoricus

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 23 Feb 2010, 22:29

we thought it was the same enemy, but it actually was 2 enemys w/ the same color)
No! It's three teams! One is south from your village, two is in the north-east, "below" each other. One of the latter has only a storehouse, an inn and some watchtowers. It represents a front line before the other, stronger team.

@Ben: Without wanting to hurt you, I just sometimes wonder what kind of English syntax you use. :wink:
Primus Christianus Hungaricus Categoricus
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 27 Feb 2010, 01:57

@Ben: Without wanting to hurt you, I just sometimes wonder what kind of English syntax you use. :wink:
I just want to point out - being one of the only other English first language speakers - that Ben's grammar, spelling and syntax are quite acceptable. Apart from a few typos and abbreviations it looks fine to me, a lot better than some of my friends use when talking on the internet.
By the way, "w/" (which I assume is the main thing you are commenting on) is widely accepted and means "with". (see Dictionary.com definition)

When talking on a forum like this I tend not to use expressions like that because I know that other people who don't know English well might find it confusing.
But this still doesn't give you the right to make Ben feel bad about his English. There is no reason for us to "dumb down" expressions so people can understand them. (this IS an English forum) I do not think you are in a position to judge someone's use of the English language.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 05 Mar 2010, 18:57

Gyula:
No! It's three teams!
Ah yes, I remember seeing that when I loaded up the mission. It's been awhile so I forgot.

Gyula:
Without wanting to hurt you, I just sometimes wonder what kind of English syntax you use.
Ah yes. The famous "Text Talk" as my brothers and I call it. I always tried to avoid saying things like: ''C u latr @ the store''. It drives me crazy. I've been lazy lately though, and have started using things like w/.
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Diashi

Peasant

Post 06 Sep 2010, 13:30

Hello there. I've been playing Knights and Merchants on and off since I was 5.
I first failed at the demo for years.

Then I learned how to use archers.
I then got roflstomped and completely destroyed by lvl 4...
A few years later I went back at it and ended up at level 18 and never could beat it. Stupid battle.

I'm now back into it with B7 and TPR and recently beat the entirety of TPR! Yay!

Now I'm working my way through TSK again...currently on Mission 14 (or so...)

Return to “General Chit Chat”